Is start time mandatory? Possbility of getting fired?

Rawrzxor

I just got passed my probation and obtained seniority. Yay. :happy:

I've talked with quite a few of the employees at the hub while we're loading, and, to my surprise, a lot of them come in at 5-6-7PM when start time is 2-3-4PM. I've heard all kinds of stories on this, including people not coming in for 6 months, then suddenly showing up for work and not having a word said to them; People never coming in on a specific day; and, people saying that it's fine as long as you show up around 5PM.

Now, I've been enjoying the extra hours and over-time, but work is starting to interfere with some of my other responsibilities. I had heard UPS was flexible with their hours, which was one of the main draws for me; yet, the supervisors have been very ambiguous in this regard. One of the new sup's has even told me that I have to come in at start time, but after a month of seeing how the sups operate--namely through manipulation and lying--I'm curious as to what the truth is here.

Alternatively, is there some way I can transfer to a different shift?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

I've talked with quite a few of the employees at the hub while we're loading, and, to my surprise, a lot of them come in at 5-6-7PM when start time is 2-3-4PM. I've heard all kinds of stories on this, including people not coming in for 6 months, then suddenly showing up for work and not having a word said to them; People never coming in on a specific day; and, people saying that it's fine as long as you show up around 5PM.

Now, I've been enjoying the extra hours and over-time, but work is starting to interfere with some of my other responsibilities. I had heard UPS was flexible with their hours, which was one of the main draws for me; yet, the supervisors have been very ambiguous in this regard. One of the new sup's has even told me that I have to come in at start time, but after a month of seeing how the sups operate--namely through manipulation and lying--I'm curious as to what the truth is here.

Every 6 months a shift change bid sheet should be posted....sign the list and openings are filled in seniority order.

In regards to the different start times you're talking about: Staggered start times are a new favorite tactic for management. Some employees will start up to 30 minutes before the start time to set up the work area, some will be on a 15 minute up to a 1 hour staggered start time. I've never heard of a 2 hour stagger like you're talking about but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

This works in management's favor because lower seniority people don't file grievances for supervisors working while the veteran employees aren't there yet.

Let them know you want to be on stagger. Seniority Rules! Work should be forced from the bottom up, and offered from the top down in regards to seniority. If they need you there early, and you have the lowest seniority, you're SOL.

brownrod

There was a time in my center that they could not get people that were willing to work preload. Preloaders could should up when they felt like it and no call no show and nothing was done. The supervisors did not want to do anything because people would just quit and never come back.

That is not the case now.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
When I was a preloader (when dinosaurs roamed the Earth), we had a posted start time. It was a simple concept in that you showed up before that time and at the designated hour you commenced performing your job. Show up after the designated hour and you were subject to disciplinary action. Repeatedly showing up after the designated hour you could be terminated. Grow up people. I would assume we are all adults and part of being an adult is fulfilling obligations such showing up at a designated time and report for work. At the end of the week we don't get a trophy but we get a paycheck which is more important.

upschuck

I suggest not heeding their advice. Start times are not suggestions as to when to arrive at work. Not showing up for six months would get anyone fired within the first week of doing that. Three no call, no shows get you terminated for job abandonment. How could they staff their operation effectively? They don't have that many sups.

I further suggest that you do not believe these people who are telling you this in the future, for they are trying to get you fired.

Rawrzxor

Well, we've been working 7-10 hour days, and a lot of people *do* come in for a 5pm-10pm/11pm when start time is 2pm. I was told I was going to be getting more around 3.5-5/6 hours a day, not 7-10.

TheFigurehead

I can only guess at what the op is getting at... but I think I understand. At my center, when you are hired for the twilight shift, HR (along with the job posting and all of the literature) will tell you your shift runs from 5p - 9p, and it would be a miracle for you to see over 17.5 hours a week. The reality, however, is that my building regularly posts start times for twilight shift as 4p of earlier, depending on how poorly things have been running.

So, op takes the job, assuming he'll be working 5 - 9, and is available during those hours. The start times don't align with what he was told, and it's interfering with the rest of his commitments. This is not the OP's fault. He was, blatantly, lied to. I see it all the time.

HR lies to new employees, they work about a week, more hours than they expected, and it gets in the way of school or their other job and they never come back...

then mgmt gets a puzzled look on their face, and wonder why everyone quits the first month.

J

jibbs

Basically, I show up when I'm told to. If no one tells me anything different, I show up at the posted start time. If there is no posted start time when I leave at the end of preload, I just show up two mornings in a row at the same time.

It's pretty simple, really.

There's a handful of people late every day. Management cuts most of them slack because of carpooling situations from what I understand, but there's a few people that seem to slip through the cracks. That said, unless you're management there's really no way you can know another employee's whole situation. It may seem like they never speak to the supes but I'm willing to bet the practice has just been so long established that everything's just business as usual where you work.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

You can't transfer to a different shift until you've been there a year I believe. Start times and hours are not flexible....you show up when you're told to (it's part of working as directed ) and leave when you're told to.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Basically, I show up when I'm told to. If no one tells me anything different, I show up at the posted start time. If there is no posted start time when I leave at the end of preload, I just show up two mornings in a row at the same time.

It's pretty simple, really.

There's a handful of people late every day. Management cuts most of them slack because of carpooling situations from what I understand, but there's a few people that seem to slip through the cracks. That said, unless you're management there's really no way you can know another employee's whole situation. It may seem like they never speak to the supes but I'm willing to bet the practice has just been so long established that everything's just business as usual where you work.
If other loaders are late...I couldn't care less...none of my business. However, one thing I can't stand is my sup asking me to help the guy who's late twice a week because his slide's completely backed up to high volume...because he wasn't here on time.

Rawrzxor

So, op takes the job, assuming he'll be working 5 - 9, and is available during those hours. The start times don't align with what he was told, and it's interfering with the rest of his commitments. This is not the OP's fault. He was, blatantly, lied to. I see it all the time.

This, exactly.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
You can't transfer to a different shift until you've been there a year I believe. Start times and hours are not flexible....you show up when you're told to (it's part of working as directed ) and leave when you're told to.
At my hub it's 6 months. They hire everyone into the twilight shift and once you hit 6 months, most go to day shift. But twilight has never started before 4:30 for me. Staggering in the hub works: pickoffs and floor guys come in 10 minutes before sort, loaders come in 10 minutes after. That means the most senior guys come in first, contrary to what that other user was posting.

That being said, the guys who come in late because start is so early definitely have arrangements with the FT sup. I can see mine making exceptions (if we had a problem of starting early) for 2nd jobs and school. Maybe not for "Golly gee, boss. I didn't sign up for this." If you just walk in 3 hours after the sort started with no explanation and expecting no consequences, you deserve whatever you get.

Last edited:

Rawrzxor

Yeah, I get that. I have a second job, but I get off on time to make it in early. However, in order to work both of these jobs (on early days), I would have to sacrifice my sleep, which I am not willing to do. I've showed up a couple hours late on Mondays when twilight comes in at 2PM, and they haven't said anything at all, so I'm guessing it's fine. Haven't talked with a sup about my situation yet, but if they don't say anything I'd rather not bring it up.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UPSGUY72

Just show up when you want and see what happens..... I'll leave it at that.