Is the heat on??

DazedandConfused

I bet it is! Just don't get caught doing it!!!! (Remember, they can stick cameras anywhere)
I might be wrong, but doesn't someone in management have to personally catch you in the act to discipline you?? Didn't think they can use electronic devices in their defense for disciplinary purposes.

bones

I am in the south, we have no heat or ac for our buildings, (at least the ones I've been in). It doesn't get real cold that often but when it is 20 degrees we just wear the same thing in the bulding as outside the building. When it is over 100 degrees, which is June through August it is at least that hot or hotter in the building or in the trailers. Kind of odd to me that people from much colder climates complain about it being 45 degrees in the building. Most of the people I know love it as it is much better than 100 degrees which we deal with most of the summer.

randomUPSISer

Don't feel too bad. I work in a large UPS office building and everyone in it has noticed how much colder it is this year than last year. It's to the point where alot of people are sitting at their desk in their jackets. I'm tempted to bring a blanket in and sit under it while I work. Its a bit ridiculous in a building with high paid professionals and high up management. Its not like our professions are ones known to work outside like a hub sorter or driver would be.

I'm sure someone somewhere sat down and figured out that by lowering the temp at all facilities it would save millions of dollars.

Just another reason to add to the growing list of reasons to "Seek opportunity elsewhere" <sigh>

Better watch out drivers. Next thing you know they will be removing the heaters from the package cars stating "weight savings" which will improve fuel mileage.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Don't feel too bad. I work in a large UPS office building and everyone in it has noticed how much colder it is this year than last year. I'm sure someone somewhere sat down and figured out that by lowering the temp at all facilities it would save millions of dollars.

Just another reason to add to the growing list of reasons to "Seek opportunity elsewhere" <sigh>

It's amusing watching people typing with gloves on.

blue efficacy

I am in the south, we have no heat or ac for our buildings, (at least the ones I've been in). It doesn't get real cold that often but when it is 20 degrees we just wear the same thing in the bulding as outside the building. When it is over 100 degrees, which is June through August it is at least that hot or hotter in the building or in the trailers. Kind of odd to me that people from much colder climates complain about it being 45 degrees in the building. Most of the people I know love it as it is much better than 100 degrees which we deal with most of the summer.

You obviously don't understand. First, 20 degrees is "mildly cold" this time of year where I live.

Low temperatures in the hub do not feel good when you walk through a -20 wind chill to get into the building.

Also, when it is that cold outside, we do not hang out there, for 5 hours STRAIGHT. Maybe we jump in and out of a truck with a heater. Maybe we go take a break outside of the refrigerated work area, etc.

There is absolutely no escape when they have it cold like that, and that is what makes it so bad.

And I would rather have 100 degrees than be so cold. Especially the first day when I was blindsided, expecting it to be somewhat comfortable as in years past... I was very angry to say the least. Even when I was able to dress in anticipation, there is only so much I can wear on my hands and still do my job..

UPSSOCKS

Wow some dumb **** on this thread.....

- Yes electronic devices can be used.....
- No, don't put ice on the sensor, you will get fired...
- For once I am all about the union getting involved with the heat issue....

My DM has made me walk the building everyday this week. I am cold. After I am off the hook turn the heat off, I don't care..

Nitelite

To the climate tough guys saying 45 degrees should be fine...

Yes, 45 would be ok except that it is 8 degrees outside right now in Worcester. I have no idea where the thermostat is in the hub, but something tells me it isn't anywhere near the 100 bay doors around the building which bring the temperature down to a ridiculous level. It wasn't anywhere near 45 where I worked all day. I had 5 layers of long sleeve shirts and sweatshirts on and not only was I still not comfortable, but it was hell to work in that many layers of clothing.

What exactly is the rule here? Does OSHA govern this?

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy

My DM has made me walk the building everyday this week. I am cold. After I am off the hook turn the heat off, I don't care..

[video=youtube;WAOxY_nHdew]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAOxY_nHdew[/video]

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I worked in a freezer-cooler unit for a few years when i was in college. It was 34 in the cooler, -10 in the freezer. HOWEVER, we had a FREEZER SUIT to wear to protect against the old. UPS does not donate a suit.

Secondly, when I worked in the dog house in Norwood MA UPS preloading, there was no heat. It was in January 2004 IIRC. We had one of the coldest mornings I can remember, I think the temperature was -8. The doghouse was around 0 to 10 degrees. That was simply the worst work experience ever. At the time I had no idea you could file a grievance, but that was definitly a safety issue.

My opinion - there should be SOME degree of heat in the buildings that should make the job tolerable. I know that in the primary and loads, where the doors are always open, the temps will drop well below the 45 degree threshold that the company suggests.

Big Babooba

At the Worcester HUB in MA, more of the same. Heat has been on every year except this one. They are keeping it at 45 degrees, but it isn't anywhere close in the sort aisle with all the bay doors.

Union says to file an injury report if we get sick. This should end well...
Massachusetts General Law Section 113, Chapter 149 requires that adequate heat be provided from October
15 through May 15:

"Every factory, workshop, manufacturing, mechanical and mercantile establishment, railroad freight
house, railway express terminal, public garages and premises used by express, trucking and transportation
companies, and any other building in which a person is employed, other than a building under construction,
shall be well lighted, well ventilated and kept free from unsanitary conditions. The work rooms therein in
actual use shall be properly heated during the period from October 15 to May 15, according to reasonable
rules and regulations adopted by the Department establishing minimum requirements with reference thereto;"
The following minimum temperatures have been established as guidelines by the Massachusetts Executive
Office of Labor and Workforce Development, Division of Occupational Safety.
Factories 60 - 62
Foundries 50 - 60
Machine Shops 60 - 62
Offices 66 - 68
Public Buildings 60 - 68
Restaurants 62 - 66
Schools 66 - 68
Stores 65
Theaters 62 - 65

UPS Lifer

Socks - You only care about yourself. If you are such a stud supervisor - MAKE IT HAPPEN! Don't rely on the union to stand behind.

I can't help you with this one! I came from the sun belt and can't stand the cold but it seems to me there is an answer out there. I never found a problem that did not have a solution. Get your thermometer out and take readings compare it to the performance of the loaders/unloaders vs records with more temperate weather conditions in the same area. Look at total volume vs. total hours for a given belt. Maybe you can also compare areas of the building where the temps very dramatically and you can show the performance decrease. Look for local or state safety regulations that pertain to weather and the cold. Maybe you can show a cost analysis of performance gains when people are working in less harsh conditions.

But the main thing is quit whining and figure a way to fix it.

1000RR

I work in a small building that does have heat, but this year things have changed. We have 2 ceiling mounted gas heaters that run down the belt on both sides. There use to be an adjustable thermostat for both nearby, but this year they replaced the adjustable thermostat to one that is permanently set at 60 degrees. However it feels more like 30 in our building. Was told this was a cost cutting measure.