Is UPS a future proof career?

Hey everyone. I'm a 16 year old male who doesn't really plan on going to college after high school. I just want to get a job, work and make money, go home at the end of the day and enjoy myself, you know? I don't feel like spending more of my life in school once I'm finished with highschol. UPS seems to pay really well and the job can keep you inshape. I'm seriously considering making UPS a career. College doesn't guarantee anyone will get a good job once they get their degree, plus I have heard of stories of people who work at UPS and make more money than people with degrees. Let's not forget the college debt. I just want to be free spirited after high school. I want to work, and get my life started. If I plan on making UPS a career I'll get a part time job at UPS (since I hear you can't start off full time) and then I'll work my way up until I'm full time. I plan to work my way up until I'm a feeder driver. Anyways, I really don't see the point in going to college when I could get a good job with nice pay and benefits, all WITHOUT a degree. I shouldn't have to spend my time going to college just to get some fancy label like "doctor" or "engineer" or "web developer" etc. Because at the end of the day, all jobs have one thing in common. And that is, that they are JOBS! There will always be something that I dislike about a job and will always be something that I do like about it no matter if I go to college or not. As long as it pays well and I'm enjoying myself, I don't see a problem.

Anyways, I'm also wondering. Is UPS a future proof career? What I mean by that is. I don't want to work for UPS, work my way up the ranks and what not and Just have UPS disappear off of the face of the earth lol. Any feed back on this?

Why should I put myself in debt, waste my life in school, when I could get the same/if not BETTER benefits from UPS? I'm also prepared for the hard work. It'll be nice to have a job to keep me in shape. At least I'll feel like I truly earn my money.

Dr.Brownz

Till you have the PT job and you are the top seniority guy among all the part timers in your building I'd not bet anything on becoming a driver at UPS.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Hey everyone. I'm a 16 year old male who doesn't really plan on going to college after high school. I just want to get a job, work and make money, go home at the end of the day and enjoy myself, you know? I don't feel like spending more of my life in school once I'm finished with highschol. UPS seems to pay really well and the job can keep you inshape. I'm seriously considering making UPS a career. College doesn't guarantee anyone will get a good job once they get their degree, plus I have heard of stories of people who work at UPS and make more money than people with degrees. Let's not forget the college debt. I just want to be free spirited after high school. I want to work, and get my life started. If I plan on making UPS a career I'll get a part time job at UPS (since I hear you can't start off full time) and then I'll work my way up until I'm full time. I plan to work my way up until I'm a feeder driver. Anyways, I really don't see the point in going to college when I could get a good job with nice pay and benefits, all WITHOUT a degree. I shouldn't have to spend my time going to college just to get some fancy label like "doctor" or "engineer" or "web developer" etc. Because at the end of the day, all jobs have one thing in common. And that is, that they are JOBS! There will always be something that I dislike about a job and will always be something that I do like about it no matter if I go to college or not. As long as it pays well and I'm enjoying myself, I don't see a problem.

Anyways, I'm also wondering. Is UPS a future proof career? What I mean by that is. I don't want to work for UPS, work my way up the ranks and what not and Just have UPS disappear off of the face of the earth lol. Any feed back on this?

Why should I put myself in debt, waste my life in school, when I could get the same/if not BETTER benefits from UPS? I'm also prepared for the hard work. It'll be nice to have a job to keep me in shape. At least I'll feel like I truly earn my money.

If that's your dream go for it , but do yourself a favor and while you are part time take some college courses. While part time you will only be working 3 1/2 to 5 hours a day. You don't have to take a full course load but take some college classes while you are doing it. Have a back up plan to your idea of just working at UPS. Good luck to you

Box Ox

You'd probably spend at least a bachelor's degree worth of time as a part timer before you went driving and another bachelor's degree worth to get to top rate.

If you can alternatively get an education in a promising field that'll always be needed, like tech/medicine or skilled labor such as electrical or welding, do that. Your body will thank you and you'll probably get to see your family.

Maybe there's terrible hub near you that offers Earn & Learn to retain employees and bids feeder positions.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
From what I gathered in your post, you want to be "a free spirit" to use your words. Being FT at UPS is a lifestyle, not a career. We get compensated very well, but we also work long hours, soon to be longer with Saturday ground. You're young and have time to decide. As another poster mentioned take some community college courses while doing PT at UPS, don't put all your eggs in one basket. By doing this you can get a feel for what you're getting into without committing.

snarts

I wouldn't give up your education just yet. I'm currently going to college while working for ups and that's so I can have more options in life. If the college thing doesn't work out for what ever reason I still have ups as a potential career option and vice versa.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
@monkey button gave the best advice. Community college while getting your feet wet working part time at ups. Set up your schedule to fit in with your work schedule. Ups is not for the meek. You do need a certain mind set to work there. Very high turn over. Once in a while. There is an opportunity. Otherwise expect 10 yrs before you make the money. Your life will change so fast in the next 2 yrs. Ups maybe a thought now. Not later

NonDeliverOtherMissed

Go to college...don't be like the rest of these people..this job takes overs your life...I mean look @UpstateNYUPSer ...can even leave the job at the building when he punches out...has to spend all his time on browncafe reminiscing of day past n days to come....go to college....work 9-5...you'll enjoy more in life believe me

ManInBrown

Talking about feeders already. LOL. The money is very good when and IF you eventually make it to FT driver. But plan on spending your entire life working. I'm talking daily. You will have no life. Your days and nights will be spent working. You will have your 2 days off per week and vacation. That's it. The other 5 days they own you, lock stock and barrel. They don't pay us this well to hump cardboard for no reason.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Dude. Become a Plumber or Electrician. Work hard and you can make more than all of us.