Is UPS worth it?

threedrawers

Hello,

My wife and I are debating whether or not we can make a job at UPS work or not. The local hub is hiring cover drivers. They said from now until mid-Jan it'll probably be everyday work. After that until June-ish it's a tossup and probably not much work at all. The HR reps said around here the first year, to year-and-a-half is the hardest. After that most apparently start working fulltime. I think we can pulloff a year. I don't mind working temp jobs from an agency if I don't drive but it's a big, or seems big, decision. I'm not looking for anyone to give me advice as to whether I should continue through the process I just wanted to see what it was like for current or former drivers. I don't currently work for UPS. They're hiring straight off the street. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks for the time.

PS: A big draw to this job is the notion of consistency. I forgot to mention that. That's huge for us. Once you're on fulltime as a driver is the work steady? Or are you still going day to day wondering if you have a route? I've never worked a union job before so this is all new to me. But I work in tech right now, and there's just no stability anymore. I need retirement, I need stability in regards to knowing how much I'm making or working. From what they said that can take awhile, up to a year and a half like I mentioned.

over9five

Staff member
Just remember they are telling you this because they need a HUGE amount of seasonal drivers. They are telling ALL of them this. There is just about zero chance you will be working after the 2nd week of January. Some (of the hundreds) may be called back to do vacation seasonal cover jobs for the Summer.
Good luck with your decision, hope it works out.

threedrawers

Thanks for your insight. Like I said I think we can manage a year.....but after reading some of the posts on here I wonder how anyone made it through. I know it depends on where you're at but is it common to go weeks with no routes?

threedrawers

So even seasonal drivers are union? I asked specifically if we were contract or employees and whether or not this leads to a permanent driver spot which they answered yes to both. But if after Jan I'm just able to work inside which they said would only be for four hours a day at a way lower rate then I'm not sure this will work out. To your point @over9five now I'm wondering if I'm getting fleeced. They itching to get the spots filled and everyone sent to drivers training across the state so I didn't think they would go through all of that just for seasonal but now I'm not sure. :confused2:

over9five

Staff member
So even seasonal drivers are union? I asked specifically if we were contract or employees and whether or not this leads to a permanent driver spot which they answered yes to both. But if after Jan I'm just able to work inside which they said would only be for four hours a day at a way lower rate then I'm not sure this will work out. To your point @over9five now I'm wondering if I'm getting fleeced. They itching to get the spots filled and everyone sent to drivers training across the state so I didn't think they would go through all of that just for seasonal but now I'm not sure. :confused2:
That's a good question. Anyone know if they send seasonal drivers AWAY for training?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I would say go for it if you can make it for a couple years. It depends on where you are at. Some hubs have very little wait time before you are working steady and some take YEARS. But UPS is a good gig for retirement , medical , good wages , and union protection , if you are willing to work hard.

If you could speak to a driver or two at the hub you are trying to get on at , they would be able to give you a more informed answer. Catch one on their route or order something on Amazon, ha.

you will get the straight scoop from an employee rather than a manager.

BrownArmy

I got hired off the street as a seasonal driver, started driving, and ten years later I can't get a day off.

Every center/state/area is different, so YMMV.

My center hires between 10-15 seasonal drivers every year around this time, and one or two squeak through every year and secure full-time driving positions.

Or, some seasonal drivers don't get full-time driving slots, but choose to work inside as loaders, or go into management, or come back the next year as a seasonal driver and then get hired full-time.

I hate to say it, but if you want this job, you just have to roll the dice.

Ten percent chance you make it? I couldn't even tell you that- it really depends on where you are and how badly they need drivers...

We have eight drivers out long term, so where I'm at, we will probably permanently hire a larger number of seasonal drivers.

Again, it really depends.

Good luck!