Jeep Plant Shut-Down

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Had me a jeep once, a 1986 Comanche truck.
Of all my vehicles to date, that one turned into a rust bucket in the shortest time.

rod

Retired 22 years
Half the parts were made in France.
Jeep was notorious for using any old part they could get. I do have to admit my 2 Broncos ( a 1972 and a 73) were worst rust buckets than the Jeep was. They were way more mechanically sound than the Jeep was. Just about bullet proof.

qdg2

Also union, so my point stands
Ok.

The engineers and Mgt. are also "union"(uh no)? They actually make the decisions on what and how the vehicle is designed with all that entails.....materials.....coatings etc. Disparaging the assemblers seems disingenuous. Being union doesn't make metal rust any more or less.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
The Concorde was made in France........USA couldn't seem to ever create an SST....France did it in the 60's.

I think the French are tools(pun intended)......but excellent aircraft designers and builders.
Wrong!
Ever hear of British Aerospace, Rolls Royce, Snecma, Numerous Component mfrs?
Didn’t think so.

qdg2

Wrong!
Ever hear of British Aerospace, Rolls Royce, Snecma, Numerous Component mfrs?
Didn’t think so.
Yep. Joint venture from Europe.

Operated by same.

Built of multiple components of multiple firms.

All........so what?

French, British....all union shops......mgt no. Blah Blah.

Whew! Got me there.....OMG. I should have said Ser. # 001 was made in France......

Gonna argue what they had for lunch? And when?

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Yep. Joint venture from Europe.

Operated by same.

Built of multiple components of multiple firms.

All........so what?

French, British....all union shops......mgt no. Blah Blah.

Whew! Got me there.....OMG. I should have said Ser. # 001 was made in France......

Gonna argue what they had for lunch? And when?
Not arguing Netsua/Quad/qdg,
Just pointing out that you are wrong about most things you post about.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
@qdg2, you're taking up too much of my time with the moderation here.

It's Christmas, and I don't have the time to deal with online people.
Use the ignore feature (Hm. Have we discussed this before???), or ignore their posts, or go spend time with your family and enjoy Christmas.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Ok.

The engineers and Mgt. are also "union"(uh no)? They actually make the decisions on what and how the vehicle is designed with all that entails.....materials.....coatings etc. Disparaging the assemblers seems disingenuous. Being union doesn't make metal rust any more or less.
Union labor costs more but you can't increase the price because no one will buy it, so that forces you into a cost-cutting spiral downwards

This is why unions that can negotiate wages, instead of just working conditions or skill requirements, are total cancer on society

bbsam

Staff member
@qdg2, you're taking up too much of my time with the moderation here.

It's Christmas, and I don't have the time to deal with online people.
Use the ignore feature (Hm. Have we discussed this before???), or ignore their posts, or go spend time with your family and enjoy Christmas.
Technically, it’s Christmas Eve.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Technically, it’s Christmas Eve.
Alright! That's it. Let's go!
giphy.gif

qdg2

Where is the Concorde now I wonder
It is "retired". Like the shuttle and perhaps the Model T. There are Concordes all over in museums. One in New York on the Hudson Weirdly, the Concorde was retired for one fatal accident. A tire blow out. A concern from the very start of the concept. Yet, that union shop "quality" proved itself for decades. Not mentioning the fuel guzzling nature of the engines.

Did you know that half the Concordes were British-registered and half were French-registered?

"They're built in France"....LOL
Technically they are built in France. Not all......never said all.
Union labor costs more but you can't increase the price because no one will buy it, so that forces you into a cost-cutting spiral downwards

This is why unions that can negotiate wages, instead of just working conditions or skill requirements, are total cancer on society
Aren't most cars built by union shops? Jap whatever. Don't all manner of cars rust out in the "rust belt"? All made by similar circumstances and practices?

Now, as far as all these companies aligning themselves with union labor.....that is a choice. And you are inferring that a non-union car company would put any profit/cost savings back into the quality of the product. Really?