Jobs you would have liked. Jobs you would never do.

Discussion in 'Life After Brown' started by ups1990, May 19, 2010.

1. ups1990

ups1990 Well-Known Member

A member posted some comments as to what jobs he would have liked to do, if UPS hadn't come along.

My life leading to my mid-twenties was geared towards the political realm, not as a politician but as a staff member dealing in community issues. While in college, my summers were spent as an intern for local and state officials on both sides of the isle. I got to know my city very well as we walked precincts asking for votes. I met some wonderful people along the way and see now that a couple of inters who were my age are now in office or running for office. After a few years of working in offices the realization quickly became that i didn't possess the stomach for it. Working with community members was great but the rest of it was downright nasty. I'm glad that I never stopped working for UPS while attending college.
    A garbage man back in the day where they had to get out and dump the actual trash can by hand is a job i would never have done. These guys now are prima donnas they don't even get out of the truck anymore, I recall when they rode in the back of the truck hanging on to that hand rail.
  2. Shifting Contents

Shifting Contents Most Help Needed

I wanted to be a garbage man when I was a kid. Cool truck, outside, and treasure galore.
  3. rod

rod retired and happy

railroad engineer-----controlling all that power and weight must be awsome
  4. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

I wanted to be a nun.......stop laughing now!!!

After that, I wanted to be a veterinarian.

Then I met my hubby and that was the end of that.

I was suppose to leave for the convent Fall of '65, but I dated my hubby over that summer.
  5. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

My last long range plan before I started working for UPS was to get my degree and go to Spain to teach English.
  6. fxdwg

fxdwg Member

Wanted: Audio Engineer for big music label recording / road bands :happy-very:

No Thanks: Roofer / asphalt work :biting:
  7. toonertoo

toonertoo Most Awesome Dog Staff Member

Work for the FBI/CIA/ Private investigator
    Never a teacher, or an ob/gyn
  8. cachsux

cachsux Wah

UPS Driver
  9. over9five

over9five Senior Member Staff Member

I used to do contract security work for the FDIC. Wear a suit, carry a gun, eat taxpayer paid for pizza. What could be better?
  10. bigbrownhen

bigbrownhen New Member

I would like to have been a vet or a marine biologist, but my brain didn't comprehend Biology 1 very well, flunked my junior year. There went that idea.

I never wanted to be a waitress or a hair styleist. Better for the public that I don't.
  11. TheKid

TheKid Well-Known Member

My college roommate and I wanted to run away and become stuntmen.
  12. dilligaf

dilligaf IN VINO VERITAS

LMAO!!!! I loved the 'better for the public' comment, but UPS fits in this category too. :happy-very:

I actually wanted to be a marine biologist tooo.
  13. dilligaf

dilligaf IN VINO VERITAS

And.................................. why aren't you doing it?
  14. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

I've always wanted to teach English literature at the College level. Still get a little wisp of sentimentality about what could have been.
  15. over9five

over9five Senior Member Staff Member

16. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

That's what I thought!
  17. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

I was thinking too much Milwaukee's Best !!
  18. jimstud

jimstud Banned

i always wanted to play pro basketball
    i would never be a ups supervisor.
  19. stevetheupsguy

stevetheupsguy sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

I never, ever thought of driving for UPS. I wanted to drive the subway trains in NYC. That's really the only job I ever truly wanted to do.

I have been: A Garbage and Recycling man. Shifting Contents is right, about the loot.
    Pet Food delivery person, Intrastate Florida.
    Tile Delivery driver....with that cool fork lift on the back of the truck. I once dumped a whole load of tile on I-95 in West Palm Beach.:dead:

I've done these things and a whole lot more, that I think all add up to being a good UPS'er, plus it gives me great stories for the children. The good UPS'er is my own way of stating that I excel here. MGMT might give a differing opinion, based on the days report, of course.
  20. dilligaf

dilligaf IN VINO VERITAS