Kids leaving the nest

tourists24

Well I need a little good news.... lol.... I have a kid heading out for college tomorrow. Very nervous and scary thought. The school doesnt have dorms so we have rented a house. Someone tell me all is gonna be ok???? Lie if you have to....

klein

Für Meno :)
Taking a big chance there, buddy !
Renting a house ? It will become the party house.
You should have looked into roommating, to keep your kid in check.

Just my opinion, but I remember my dorm days..... and it was Party time !
(except when my buddy and I got kicked out of the dorm for a month) and we had to rent a room from a farmer.. - then we suddenly behaved LOL

tourists24

Taking a big chance there, buddy !
Renting a house ? It will become the party house.
You should have looked into roommating, to keep your kid in check.

Just my opinion, but I remember my dorm days..... and it was Party time !
(except when my buddy and I got kicked out of the dorm for a month) and we had to rent a room from a farmer.. - then we suddenly behaved LOL
Im not that naive Klein.... He is a baseball player and the house is rented out by the athletic directors father (who the ballfield is named after). Oh and it just so happens that the athletic director lives next door. He also has a roommate. Im not as caught up in that. He is 18. He will party. Im just a dad worrying about his kid leaving home

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well I need a little good news.... lol.... I have a kid heading out for college tomorrow. Very nervous and scary thought. The school doesnt have dorms so we have rented a house. Someone tell me all is gonna be ok???? Lie if you have to....

Everything's going to be alright T24. Got lots of money saved up? Just asking.

tourists24

obviously never enough, but somehow will survive.... unbelievable how much it costs. Funny how the book cost was almost as much as tuition. Thank goodness he is a baseball player and is playing for a junior college so the costs arent horrific

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
In all seriousness it is also an important part of their education that is not taught by their professors but learned by themselves to live and make it or their own without mommy and daddy. If you raised them right they will still do some stupid stuff but the cream will come to the top and all will be ok.

satellitedriver

All will be OK.
No lie.
Scarey?
Oh, hell yes.
To paraphrase Kahlil Gibran,
You and his mother are the bow and string, he is the arrow.
Longfellow said it well.

I shot an arrow into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For, so swiftly it flew, the sight
Could not follow it in its flight.

I breathed a song into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For who has sight so keen and strong,
That it can follow the flight of song?

Long, long afterward, in an oak
I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end,
I found again in the heart of a friend.

over9five

Staff member
Any kids left at home, Tourists? Our second just moved out a month ago. Now we're alone.......

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Tourists, you can save a ton on books by renting them, either through the college bookstore (if they offer that service) or online.

I'm not sure if I would let my 18 yr old live in a rented house during their freshman year.

tourists24

Tourists, you can save a ton on books by renting them, either through the college bookstore (if they offer that service) or online.

I'm not sure if I would let my 18 yr old live in a rented house during their freshman year.
We did rent the books... saved several hundreds of dollars. As far as the housing, there werent too many options. No dorms on campus. Apartment complexes filled fast. He didnt sign with the ball team til June so we were behind a curve. The house really isnt that bad. He has a roommate; the athletic director lives next door; and the owner of the house lives across the street.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I remember when my last one was leaving home. I cried all the way to work every day, and all the way home. Lost 50 pds, (wish I had one leaving again) :happy2:for the weight loss plan.
It will all be ok, you did a good job, just sit back and enjoy the rewards of your parenting.
I was going to mention chegg.com for rentals, and amazon is a great place to resell those you buy.

One of the subjects that needs to be brought up at times like this is of course to practice safe sex.

Not for the college bound student. For the parents. The last thing you need is to have to put up with another kid for 18 more years.