lazy ups guy...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

they could have just called a complaint into 1800 ups, but these NARCS had to get local news and police involved

If you consider people who have concern for public safety NARCS then I guess I will change my user name to NARC.

Our guy was 110% wrong. No if's, and's or but's.

I would most certainly have notified the local police.

I do agree that putting it online was over the top.

oldupsman

I'm just really curious to who the driver was. New guy? Old guy? Sup doing a route during vacation? I would really like to hear their explanation. It just seems so incredibly stupid. What were you thinking?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
This goes beyond stupidity. That being said, some people can't handle the ridicoulus expectations and constant production harassment and end up going to extremes. If I was his BA I would pat him on the back and say good luck in your next job.

UPSGUY72

Isn't there a point where the union simply says "Sorry, there is simply nothing we can do for you", cut their losses and move on?

There is but they usually do that for the people that are always in trouble..... If this guy has a good recorded he will just get a slap on the wrist and a little retraining...

UPSGUY72

I sure this isn't the first time this driver has done something stupid like this but I guessing it the first time he got caught.....

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Before making any sort of judgement about what happened, I would want to (a) hear the driver's side of the story and (b) see the entire video, not just the snippet that was available on YouTube.

I am not in any way condoning driving on the sidewalk, although I have done city routes where parking on the sidewalk was a customary and accepted practice.

Yesterday, I had a delivery for a house that was holding a garage sale. It was on a narrow, two-lane road with no shoulder, outside of city limits. People had illegally parked on both sides of the road, partialy blocking it, in order to go to the garage sale. There wasnt anyplace for me to safely park, so I pulled into their driveway, turned, and drove 20 feet through their garden (between rows of vegetables where their tractor normally went) and out into their field, did a U-turn on the grass (they had just cut hay so there were bales everywhere and the grass was stubble) and parked in order to make the delivery. The customer was happy to get her package and apologetic about the parking problem. My point in all that is that if someone had happened to film me at just the right moment and from just the right angle, it would look like a crazy UPS driver had just plowed right through a garden with his truck for no reason when in fact that is not what really happened.

texan

The one funny thing about this video is that the news outlet edited in that insipid song about logistics! Hilarious!!

With all respect I get your point, but the humor of the media using our song fails me.

I hang my head that this occurred. So sad.

I guess it is like the Jet Blue pilot who lost it on his way to Vegas in March this year.

This is such a black eye to the 99.9 per cent of the Professional / Teamster drivers of Package Cars
in our company that know better than this. They are our front lines, what the customer sees and knows
as UPS, the best drivers / most professional / conscientious in the industry. grrrrrr

texan

Before making any sort of judgement about what happened, I would want to (a) hear the driver's side of the story and (b) see the entire video, not just the snippet that was available on YouTube.

I am not in any way condoning driving on the sidewalk, although I have done city routes where parking on the sidewalk was a customary and accepted practice.

Yesterday, I had a delivery for a house that was holding a garage sale. It was on a narrow, two-lane road with no shoulder, outside of city limits. People had illegally parked on both sides of the road, partialy blocking it, in order to go to the garage sale. There wasnt anyplace for me to safely park, so I pulled into their driveway, turned, and drove 20 feet through their garden (between rows of vegetables where their tractor normally went) and out into their field, did a U-turn on the grass (they had just cut hay so there were bales everywhere and the grass was stubble) and parked in order to make the delivery. The customer was happy to get her package and apologetic about the parking problem. My point in all that is that if someone had happened to film me at just the right moment and from just the right angle, it would look like a crazy UPS driver had just plowed right through a garden with his truck for no reason when in fact that is not what really happened.

You are correct in not pre judging sir.

Hope that it might have been a heart attack or seziure as an explanation.
Not that I wish that on the driver...

Other than that.......

barnyard

KTM rider
I think sober brings up a good point. We probably have all done something that with a little creative editing would look insane or at least, very inconsiderate.

My occasion was when GW Bush came to town on a campaign stop. The rally was held at a local baseball complex and I was on the route that delivered to the industrial park right across the street from the ballbark. I got all my air off on time and was able to deliver with only a less than 5 minute delay. I drove across lawns (industrial park lawns) and was able to cut through traffic and continue on lawns. No one pointed or filmed or any of that. People waved me through and a cop stopped traffic so I could continue on my way.

On youtube, it would have been hella embarrassing.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
they couldn't have found someone better than some (probably) CHSP driver to say "no comments"?

grab an OMS and have them talk to the news crew, they're used to smoothing things over with crazies

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

they couldn't have found someone better than some (probably) CHSP driver to say "no comments"?

grab an OMS and have them talk to the news crew, they're used to smoothing things over with crazies

How in the hell could anyone spin this? The best answer in this situation was the one given--"no comments".

bluehdmc

they could have just called a complaint into 1800 ups, but these NARCS had to get local news and police involved

Oh yeah, call the 1 800 number, talk to someone in the Philipines or Mumbai or someplace like that and they wouldn't know what to reply since the situation isn't in the "script" they have. They would, "Apologize for any inconvienence, thank you for your concern and we will contact the local office." or something like that.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I think that was probably an on-car supe.
In my building, on-car supes, come to work in browns daily to save time when they need to violate the contract.
She also was considerably overweight which is hard for a driver to maintain.

To the contrary, we do have a safety committee co-chair/driver that hasn't run his bid route more than a handful of times in the last 2 years.
He works 55+ hrs a week, has his own desk and computer in the supes office, and is of similar dimensions as the woman in the video.
So I guess it's possible that it was a CHSP driver???

kingOFchester

Almost as shocking as the video are some of the posts. I am VERY surprised that drivers would drive through flower beds, or across lawns at a corporate center considering the regime that runs the roost. We all hear the horror stories about drivers being discharged or at least given warning letters when their attempt to service a customer backfires. Had I been employed by UPS back years ago, I probably would of done the same as the posters above. But, you will not catch me doing something like that now. Things can go wrong. Try calling the center and explain that your truck is stuck in a vegetable garden because you blew a hose while trying to do a delivery. Or being called into the office because some hot shot CEO has a bone to pick with UPS, video tapes you driving across the lawn and claims you turfed up the lawn.

Maybe things aren't as bad as some paint it to be and so UPS would pat you on the back and say job well done??

With all respect I get your point, but the humor of the media using our song fails me.

I hang my head that this occurred. So sad.

I guess it is like the Jet Blue pilot who lost it on his way to Vegas in March this year.

This is such a black eye to the 99.9 per cent of the Professional / Teamster drivers of Package Cars
in our company that know better than this. They are our front lines, what the customer sees and knows
as UPS, the best drivers / most professional / conscientious in the industry. grrrrrr
The song is the humor. Yes, the driver gave us all a black eye. But that song gave us all a black eye a long time before this video became a viral sensation. UPS used to have award winning advertising. Now we hire advertising firms to make up silly slogans and ditzy ditties. The drivers are on the front lines. But we stay on the porch(most of us anyway). Lots of people watch tv every night while eating, getting ready for bed, etc. UPS commercials are a part of everyone's life to the point that customers actually ask me to explain them. When a commercial is so ditzy that people shake their heads every time they hear it, and then local news outlets can turn around and use them to make fun of one driver who did something he should not have done, it is time to raise the bar.