Let's say we vote NO..... now what?

How Now Brown Cow

So the way I see it is that those in charge will not call a strike, and we will work under the current contract. But what do you think they will change to get it passed?

If it doesn't pass, I'm sure the major reason is going to be because of the hybrid job. Since we don't know all of the language there is that goes along with this, let's assume there isn't much in there to prevent UPS from abusing it. Will adding language in there that prevents them from driving more time than being inside help get a yes vote from you? Would it have to be top rate for pay, for all hours worked? No hybrid jobs at all, just more FT driving jobs in general?

Or maybe they'll start trying to address other issues to get the yes vote with the hybrid job as is. Stronger 9.5 language and penalties. Stronger harassment language. Higher PT and/or FT raises. Another option day because of Black Friday being gone. Setting a curfew. Free socks. Allow beards.

I'm thinking it's not going to pass, but I'm trying to wrap my head around what might actually be changed to get it passed.

Last edited:

How Now Brown Cow

More management spy's!

See this crap @Wally

No, not at all. I've got 12.5 years in. I worked 9.5 PT and i've been FT driving for 3 years now.

For me, I would have to see no difference in pay. I get that we will inevitably have to operate on Saturdays and Sundays, why aren't we just giving in to allowing other schedules that would cover the weekend, with two consecutive days off.

No, not at all. I've got 12.5 years in. I worked 9.5 PT and i've been FT driving for 3 years now.

For me, I would have to see no difference in pay. I get that we will inevitably have to operate on Saturdays and Sundays, why aren't we just giving in to allowing other schedules that would cover the weekend, with two consecutive days off.
And less pay..

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
So the way I see it is that those in charge will not call a strike, and we will work under the current contract. But what do you think they will change to get it passed?

If it doesn't pass, I'm sure the major reason is going to be because of the hybrid job. Since we don't know all of the language there is that goes along with this, let's assume there isn't much in there to prevent UPS from abusing it. Will adding language in there that prevents them from driving more time than being inside help get a yes vote from you? Would it have to be top rate for pay, for all hours worked? No hybrid jobs at all, just more FT driving jobs in general?

Or maybe they'll start trying to address other issues to get the yes vote with the hybrid job as is. Stronger 9.5 language and penalties. Stronger harassment language. Higher PT and/or FT raises. Another option day because of Black Friday being gone. Setting a curfew. Free socks. Allow beards.

I'm thinking it's not going to pass, but I'm trying to wrap my head around what might actually be changed to get it passed.
If 22.2 porters get a $5/hr wage bump I'm voting yes.

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
9.5 issues will be in the supplements and riders not the master contract. That is why we don't have any information on it. They want us to vote yes then we can possibly get the shaft on 9.5 and other issues without having the ability to strike at that point.

We can all just vote yes on this master whatever contract and take our raises and be happy. But the current part-timers need to understand that the language on the proposal is not good for them in the long term if they want to become a driver. It doesn't affect us current drivers. There is nothing about protections on these hybrid jobs and how it will affect the ability to full time driving . This crap was just thrown out there to sound like any part timer can become a hybrid-driver without seniority or qualifying.

Days

For me to accept it, the contract needs catch up raises so that part time employees don't completely lose their progression from the last 5 years. The language around hybrid drivers needs to be more clear. I'm not a driver so can't comment on more than that.

There also as far as pre-load work is concerned, should be some language introduced about stack outs, the new scanner technology, and SOMETHING about pph. The company will cut corners as much as possible and shove out volume at a pace far past comfortable like 250-350 pph. Packages will be mishandled, loaders barely have any time to tape anything. Trucks are loaded sloppy, impossible to follow safe work methods. Harassment by supervisors if you are for some reason unable to keep up. List goes on.

They only care about production numbers so that upper management can pocket more money.

542thruNthru

Adding language to the hybrid drivers in my mind will not be enough. UPS ignores the contract when they want to anyways. Only way I vote Yes is if they pay them the same as a FT driver. Even then I still feel like I'd have to vote no.

Will they have set start times for the week? Will they be changed daily? Will they have set hours inside and driving? There seems to be too much stuff that needs to be put in writing for this to work. I don't like it and feel UPS should just hire more FT drivers and make them T-S. I'd have gladly became a T-S driver if it meant FT driving at top rate.

TheFigurehead

and SOMETHING about pph.

There already is. All their numbers are for them. There is no pph you need to meet... although there almost certainly is for your supervisor. All you are required to provide UPS is a "fair days work." Work safe, work smart, and let them worry about numbers. You cannot be disciplined for production (short of purposely working outrageously slow, or refusing to work).

This is assuming you are out of your probationary new hire period.

Days

@TheFigurehead
It's not as easy as you make it out to be. The job is completely mental, physical , and emotionally draining. I do agree that the job seems to reward people that don't care and screws over people that do care. I just don't like it.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Based on the fact that UPS has ended Saturday ground in some locations, add the fact that they are trying to get lower paid drivers working the weekend, that tells me that they hope to keep costs down to be better able to compete with other carriers to get the volume up on weekends. If there were some way to accomplish that without devaluing ground delivery, then we could talk.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Based on the fact that UPS has ended Saturday ground in some locations, add the fact that they are trying to get lower paid drivers working the weekend, that tells me that they hope to keep costs down to be better able to compete with other carriers to get the volume up on weekends. If there were some way to accomplish that without devaluing ground delivery, then we could talk.
Your just assuming this.
Over here ups can't staff saturdays because they don't have the drivers. New drivers are working 55 hrs a week. Old drivers are working a 6th day or coming in early to staff the preload. They are still throwing money at this. Hybrid driver is just an attempt to replace top rate drivers. The company proposal allows hybrid to work m-friend exclusively driving. With No inside work. And permanently replace any top rate driver who is t-s