Looking to start a new career, is this the right place?

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated
How much does a pt sup, and ft sup make anyway?

A full time supervisor will make about $100,000 in salary and about $17,000 in the MIP award. The first MIP is all stock. In subsequent years you can take half in cash and half in stock.

Your hourly wage rate will work out to about $0.14 per hour. Not an easy job. A 4 year degree is generally required.

Necropostophiliac

A full time supervisor will make about $100,000 in salary and about $17,000 in the MIP award. The first MIP is all stock. In subsequent years you can take half in cash and half in stock.

Your hourly wage rate will work out to about $0.14 per hour. Not an easy job. A 4 year degree is generally required.
No they do not... Fake News. IE sigh. I had many friends as Sups, and report to's over my former hourly time (now retired) and I knew what some of them made. $100,000??? Retired IE do you now work for CNN?

PAUPSGuy

75% of UPS management is up for retirement over the next 3 years. Hence the transformation and push to bring in talent. (pay increases at the trench level PT sups start at $18.50-$21 and union employees start at $13-$15; region dependent) They are resupplying their management pipeline right now.
UPS is a great company to work for with a lot of upward mobility but it requires a lot from the individual(s). If you're a non-self-starter or someone willing to throw any union or management member under the bus then you're best going another route. If you have no intentions or motivation to pursue a degree when UPS basically pays for it then you will not last in management. You will inadvertently crash into your glass ceiling and struggle. I see it all over the place inside management at all levels. The company has to do what it's doing right now because of how fast and efficient our workforce is changing/becoming. College will provide you with a lot of help but again; it requires effort.

If you want to drive, that will also require effort. 80% of our problems as management come from 20% of our people. Short-sighted leaders blanket punish or group think because it's easy. Hence why there is this rift between the two. Bad management, bad drivers, low IQ, group think = :censored2: recipe. Focus on the people/your employees if you go the management route and it will provide you with the money. Money comes with the territory for people that properly - lead. Even here, despite all the misinformation. Also, this may very well be in a company outside the big brown. Don't pigeonhole yourself into thinking about this job as the end-all-be-all. There are great paying jobs all over the world but nobody will pay top dollar for underqualified people. Also, filter half the drivers on here, they are all sipping bourbon at all hours of the night having a good time with you. Which is honestly hilarious, I have to admit that, lol.

Good luck, stay positive and continue to educate yourself.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
the management experience I’ve had has been in the medical field, and in a much smaller setting.

I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you, but office manager, especially at a private practice, is not "management".

Haven't met them yet.

My HR rep said his degree didn't have anything to do with HR, but that it took 14 years to get there.

Most HR people I've ever met have no formal training or education in HR. No one in or out of HR really understands what the job is meant to be, so you get a bunch of overly self-important desk jockeys who spend their days mostly chatting on messenger, and no one bothers them. In reality they are slightly less of a drag on the company than safety managers, which are less than worthless.

If you aren't too good at school, you really don't have much hope of advancement, and you really shouldn't be considering management. Your best hope would be to go ground driving, then put in for an on road sup position, and that will be the pinnacle of your career.

I am being as harsh as I am only to troll you a little, but it's mostly tough love to help you see the reality of the choice you are considering. You may be the exception who has what it takes to go the distance despite the massive obstacles in your way. Just understand that you will have to fight to prove yourself over and over.

Best of luck in your future endeavors.

jeepguy63

So I know this site is pretty anti management which is fine, I'm mainly interested in management because I've had a little experience with it, and enjoy helping and teaching others.

I'm going into my mid 20s and looking for a career, I want to be able to make enough to provide a nice life for myself and my family, UPS was hiring and I applied and pretty much instantly was given a job as a pt small sort. The building I'm in has been very recently expanded with a 220+ million dollar project, and there's a lot of management openings. All my managers have been friendly, and HR has been really chill, I've read a lot of harsh stories about :censored2:ty managers and was wondering if it might be regional or something? I'm in Ohio and so far it's been pretty cool, I took the AP or mapp test and passed (not sure how you could fail tbh). I'm trying to figure out what would be better in the long term, I don't really like driving, and I can't drive stick so I don't think being a driver would be a good fit for me.

Any advice on what steps to take to grow in the company, or if not management or driver, what's a good steady career path in the company?

I haven’t posted in a long time.
I’ve seen a lot of hopefuls come and go. I’ll offer you my suggestions - from 35+ years, including two years as a pt hrly and three as a pt sup.

1 - learn your job. What are the methods? Read them. What are the essential job setup methods? Ask IE for the MSD. Analyze it and understand the methods and standards that apply to your hub unload, hub load, hub sort, or whatever your job is.
1a - don’t be discouraged when your ft sup tells you you don’t need those things - “just do what I tell you.” Your ft sup probably doesn’t know the job - they know how to push people and do “what it takes” to get done.
1b - if you follow #1, you’ll know how many hours are required to properly accomplish the job each day/hour. You’ll be able to show your ft sup “why” you need x people / hours to get done properly. You’ll be able to understand where in your operation you have flaws that need re-trained and or fixed.

2 - plan each day to fix a problem. Every day when you arrive to work, you’ll be presented with the crisis du jour. if you begin to resemble a fire fighter, you’re not managing. Create a planner - outline a week in advance the problems you’ll solve.

3 - never ever compromise your integrity. While this should be number one, you have to understand the job before you know how you’ll be presented multiple opportunities to compromise everyday.
Don’t change time cards. Ever.
Don’t ask an hourly to do something that isn’t a method or is unsafe.
Don’t accept an hourly taking a shortcut on a method.
Don’t lie. Don’t say you walked off a belt when you didn’t.
You will never loose your Mgmt job at UPS for performance. You’ll be fired in a heartbeat for integrity- especially as a part time sup - if the full timer needs a “pelt” to save their own butt.

4 -If you want to get ahead, get your degree. While you may be promoted to ft sup without it, you won’t go much higher.

5 - read some books on managing people. Read the one minute manager and the spin-off one minute manager books. Basic principles. Basically treat your employees the way you would want your mother or sister treated.