Lost job was told unionized

Outsider

Yea still an awesome job. It's hard to find something making as much even as a mechanic. Let alone pension and benies. It's tough out here beyond your guys brown world.

barnyard

KTM rider
Mechanic turnover is really low and because there are very few positions, there are very few openings.

I suspect the sheet you signed will make you ineligible for unemployment and while they said they would call you if there is an opening, I would not bank on it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's gotten even worse .
I don't doubt it.
All the good potential people have left.
Just the people trapped and trying to get to retirement are left.
I'm glad it happened to me in my 50's and not in my 40's.
Once I turned 55, I was golden.
The craziness and shoddy quality is very hard on the psyche.
I protected myself by not caring anymore ... it was the only way I could survive.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
I don't doubt it.
Once I turned 50, I was golden.
I protected myself by not caring anymore ... it was the only way I could survive.

Starting from when the company went public and started worrying more about pleasing stockholders than taking care of customers.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Starting from when the company went public and started worrying more about pleasing stockholders than taking care of customers.
Which was precipitated by the strike of '97.
UPS had been talking about going public for 15 years before they did.
They did not because they thought (or feared) it would destroy the old United Parcel Service culture and UPS's patriarchal attitude towards it's employees.
They were right.

Outsider

I would gladly consume myself into ups for what they offer but my guess is I just have to hustle harder for less. Sometimes you guys just gotta brush off the small stuff. I do know driving is one of the strictest/hardest jobs I've had but at the end of the day you guys no when you can retire and are making good money and bennies too so some not all need to stop bching so much and just smile

Outsider

But yes very stressful job. I felt bad for sup and told him that. He looked like he took it harder than I did and I'm the one getting thrown out lol but yes to all those in the ups brown world hold your head up and smile. Least your money and health taken care of. I gotta go breathe in bleach in an attic tomorrow for dirt. And much respect to the drivers. Never knew how hard job was

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Which was precipitated by the strike of '97.
UPS had been talking about going public for 15 years before they did.
They did not because they thought (or feared) it would destroy the old United Parcel Service culture and UPS's patriarchal attitude towards it's employees.
They were right.
I first heard the rumors about going public in 1994 when UPS had an early retirement buyout package.
I bought every share of UPS stock I could ... I had just about given up.

10 point

I don't doubt it.
Once I turned 50, I was golden.
Valium

10 point

Employees with higher than average IQs struggle more.

It took a little bit but I came to realize (as an hourly) that people who don't stress out about why things are done in a mediocre way get paid the same as those that are intolerant to redundant mindlessness in the workplace.

But I still try to swim against the current because down deep inside I know that I just have to. I expect more from those that expect perfection.
9kKAt5zZl5MA.jpg