"Lunch"

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
There was this one time when I was going to take my unpaid lunch and save the world, and then I didn't. Go figure.

Save the world? Seriously? Is your ego that large?

Go ahead, skip your damn lunch if you want the extra work on your package car.

You sound like a hero.

Everything should be just fine with your center manager now. Just hope your next center manager doesn't haven't a different attitude or ideals.

Because my experience says clowns like you are ALWAYS the first ones to bitch like screaming monkey when the rules get changed.

And they always do.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
There was this one time when I was going to take my unpaid lunch and save the world, and then I didn't. Go figure.

Save the world? Seriously? Is your ego that large?

Go ahead, skip your damn lunch if you want the extra work on your package car.

You sound like a hero.

Everything should be just fine with your center manager now. Just hope your next center manager doesn't haven't a different attitude or ideals.

Because my experience says clowns like you are ALWAYS the first ones to bitch like screaming monkey when the rules get changed.

And they always do.

Make a note:
Fang boy doesn't get the subtlety of humor.

Boonies

It's worse than that. If your home is on your route, they tell you that you aren't allowed to go home for lunch, even though you're on your own time. If they see that you managed to meet another driver at an overlap point (which don't exist in theory as that would mean that the route setup is inefficient) they freak out. I.E. they try to make that hour as unpleasant as possible so that you won't take it. I've actually heard a sup say that he knows which drivers don't take lunch so he knows who to load up. Food for thought. (pun intended)

clarnzz

Make a note:
Fang boy doesn't get the subtlety of humor.

Nor understand that I'm not working through any lunch. The only time it would make any differance whatsoever to my management team if I took my lunch or not is if it was going to cause missed business or cause me to get in after 8PM, both of which would rarely if ever occur. They could care less if I get in at 5:30 or 6:30.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's worse than that. If your home is on your route, they tell you that you aren't allowed to go home for lunch, even though you're on your own time. If they see that you managed to meet another driver at an overlap point (which don't exist in theory as that would mean that the route setup is inefficient) they freak out. I.E. they try to make that hour as unpleasant as possible so that you won't take it. I've actually heard a sup say that he knows which drivers don't take lunch so he knows who to load up. Food for thought. (pun intended)

I always eat lunch at home. It may not always be between the 3rd and 5th hours but I do take my full 45 minutes. The sups all know who takes their lunch and who doesn't and they plan their dispatches accordingly.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Nor understand that I'm not working through any lunch. The only time it would make any differance whatsoever to my management team if I took my lunch or not is if it was going to cause missed business or cause me to get in after 8PM, both of which would rarely if ever occur. They could care less if I get in at 5:30 or 6:30.

A 1 minute lunch break is not lunch. Rationalize it all you want but you are working through your lunch.

clarnzz

A 1 minute lunch break is not lunch. Rationalize it all you want but you are working through your lunch.

I'm not working through my lunch, we are just allowed to choose how much we take, one minute is all that is required by my center manager and our contract. I usually take around 10 minutes throughout the day along with my 10 minute paid break.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I'm not working through my lunch, we are just allowed to choose how much we take, one minute is all that is required by my center manager and our contract. I usually take around 10 minutes throughout the day along with my 10 minute paid break.

What area are you in where your contractual supplement specifically allows for a 1 minute lunch?
I call BS.
What we have here is an extra-contractual agreement, which is prohibited by the contract.

Re-Raise

What area are you in where your contractual supplement specifically allows for a 1 minute lunch?
I call BS.
What we have here is an extra-contractual agreement, which is prohibited by the contract.

He is in 710. I am in 710 also, and we put in the amount of time we take , and that is all that is coded out for lunch. I code out for lunch when I shut off the package car at my house, and I code back in when I pull away.

We probably have drivers at my center coding out as little as 5 minutes , but I don't know if they would actually put in 1 minute.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Most of our routes are 60 minute lunches and a 10 minute paid break. Fortunately for me, I have one of a few routes that are only required to take 30 minute lunch.

Wait a minute ... you mean all routes are not the same?

That's heretical ... wait until the Brotherhood hears this.

Everybody must be treated the same.

Solidarity!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
He is in 710. I am in 710 also, and we put in the amount of time we take , and that is all that is coded out for lunch. I code out for lunch when I shut off the package car at my house, and I code back in when I pull away.

We probably have drivers at my center coding out as little as 5 minutes , but I don't know if they would actually put in 1 minute.

I wasn't talking about what management insists on, rather what your local or regional supplement calls for.
Here in the central region we are "required" to take a half hour lunch between the 3rd and 6th hour.

I do know that Local 705 and 710 out of Chicago has their own contract and are not subject to National Master language.
So I guess it's possible that they have different language regarding lunch.

clarnzz

I do put in one minute from time to time if I don't feel like stopping for more than my 10 minute paid and one of my sons have a baseball game I'm pushing it to make it to.

P.S. Thank god for bonus since I can still be getting paid time and a half into the 3rd inning. :)

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Sorry, but any driver who skips his lunch is a fool and plays into the hands of his management team. The fact that your management team says you only have "to take one minute of lunch" demonstrates how this is a scam. That is how they cover their ass. When I was a PC driver, our management team instructed us to take our lunch, but privately, some supervisors told us we only had to take 5 or 6 minutes to prevent our time cards from kicking out errors. That was in response to some of us telling our Sups that "this load" won't get done unless we skipped our lunches. We wouldn't, of course, but our point was that we needed around a half-hour (our lunch period here) help to avoid missing package deliveries.

All of this just hides the real enemy of skipping lunches: it puts more work on fewer drivers, eliminating more routes, eliminating more drivers. Are you guys/gals ok with that? Yeah? Then why are you in the union? Is this all just about you?

Exactly prob is all the lunch skippers think is that they get home the same amount earlier as the break they skipped.

brett636

The unspoken rule in my department (feeders) was as long as you showed a 1 minute meal you would be left alone. For whatever reason they are forcing us to take our full lunch now despite the fact it is killing them in a lot of different ways. I almost never took my full meal, but I never worked through it either. The longer the meal they require me to take the longer it will take me to finish my day is all. I hope this blows over soon.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
The unspoken rule in my department (feeders) was as long as you showed a 1 minute meal you would be left alone. For whatever reason they are forcing us to take our full lunch now despite the fact it is killing them in a lot of different ways. I almost never took my full meal, but I never worked through it either. The longer the meal they require me to take the longer it will take me to finish my day is all. I hope this blows over soon.

It's strange that feeder drivers would be skipping their lunch. It is the easiest job in this company. The only feeder driver that would skip their lunch were the mileage runs. Next year, per DOT rules, any job over 8 hours is required to take a 30 minute meal period. If your feeder department has a hard time covering runs because you guys are taking your lunch, then your department has much bigger problems. Or management team MAKES hourly feeder drivers take our meals.

Unless you are mileage driver, not taking your meal is only taking money out of your own pocket. You say you never took your full meal, and in the same breath, you say you never worked through it either. Well, which is it? The less meal you take, the more work you have. To me, that doesn't make sense, because you say you want to get home sooner.

Don't take this personal, because I hold no malice towards you. But why are you here in the first place? Feeders is increasingly becoming saturated with burners from package car. They speed, skip their meal, neglect their pre-trip inspection and do their job just like package car. Except it isn't. A mistake in feeders could possibly cost lives in a way a package car couldn't come close to. And in feeders, you're only one mistake away from losing your job.

It amazes me how many of these new guys (burners) don't see that.

clarnzz

I was dispatched with a pretty easy day, I took 2 minutes of my paid break while I was fueling and 1 minute of my lunch right before I punched out. Punched out around 4:20, didn't run a step and didn't even go that fast. I can't believe some of you goofballs think I should of sat at Hardees for an hour twiddling my thumbs and punched out at 5:20. I can understand if I was getting lunch taken out even if I didn't take it, but I'm not!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I was dispatched with a pretty easy day, I took 2 minutes of my paid break while I was fueling and 1 minute of my lunch right before I punched out. Punched out around 4:20, didn't run a step and didn't even go that fast. I can't believe some of you goofballs think I should of sat at Hardees for an hour twiddling my thumbs and punched out at 5:20. I can understand if I was getting lunch taken out even if I didn't take it, but I'm not!

This goofball can't understand how you can take a break while fueling your vehicle.
I think you should have stayed away from Hardees, packed a good healthy lunch and sat somewhere comfortable for 30 mins and ate while letting your mind and body rest and replentish.
Clock out at 4:50, if your contract allows for it, coding it accordingly.
You're setting an unsustainable pace to maintain for 30 years.

clarnzz

This goofball can't understand how you can take a break while fueling your vehicle.
I think you should have stayed away from Hardees, packed a good healthy lunch and sat somewhere comfortable for 30 mins and ate while letting your mind and body rest and replentish.
Clock out at 4:50, if your contract allows for it, coding it accordingly.
You're setting an unsustainable pace to maintain for 30 years.

It was easy, I wasn't even forcing the issue! If I'm in brown polyester I want to be getting paid for it. If anything, it would be just go at a snails pace, clock out at 4:50 and get paid for the whole time. Maybe that's why my dispatches are how they are, if they give me a reasonable dispatch I don't sit on it, but if they ass me I say screw it. Part of being a good manager is knowing your employees and what works best for you and them!