M-FRIDAY driver seniority rights on Saturday delivery

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
Just curious how it’s treated across the board at other centers. For example ive heard a story in the southern region that a 20year driver that works M-FRIDAY had volunteered to work Saturday and He had been told M-FRIDAY drivers are not allowed to use seniority to switch routes with T-S drivers with less seniority, only on Saturdays.

Last edited:

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Just curious how it’s treated across the board at other centers. For example ive heard a story in the southern region that a 20year driver that works M-FRIDAY had volunteered to work Saturday and He had been told M-FRIDAY drivers are not allowed to use seniority to switch routes with T-S drivers with less seniority, only on Saturdays.
If you are not scheduled to work on a given day, you do not have the ability to bump those whose scheduled work day it is.

Back From Break
Is this in the master or in your region as well? If so what region if you dont mind saying.

It is in your Regional Supplement. It spells out the only circumstances in which you are able to contractually bump, or displace, a junior employee.

Some areas may have a Local Supplement, Rider or Addendum dealing with this also.

The reasons can vary by Supplement, but most of the reasons deal with your job being eliminated, your start time changed one hour or more, your route changed by 50 percent or more, etc.

And just because you want to work on a Saturday is not one of the reasons in any Supplement.

Homework assignment.

Read your Regional Supplement and then come back and tell us the only circumstances in which you are contractually allowed to displace a junior employee.

Sixth Punch Sense

We had the opposite rule. Volunteers could not bump another from working, but if staffing needed them. Then building seniority prevails on routes.

A Saturday driver filled a grievance about this. Basically scheduled Saturday driver seniority trumps building seniority. We now operate this way until the grievance is resolved.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
We had the opposite rule. Volunteers could not bump another from working, but if staffing needed them. Then building seniority prevails on routes.

A Saturday driver filled a grievance about this. Basically scheduled Saturday driver seniority trumps building seniority. We now operate this way until the grievance is resolved.
What region is this in? I get not being able to bump from working but not being able to bump to do a desired route? That I don’t understand nor have I seen anything that has language in the southern region that says drivers with seniority cant use seniority to bump routes.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
It is in your Regional Supplement. It spells out the only circumstances in which you are able to contractually bump, or displace, a junior employee.

Some areas may have a Local Supplement, Rider or Addendum dealing with this also.

The reasons can vary by Supplement, but most of the reasons deal with your job being eliminated, your start time changed one hour or more, your route changed by 50 percent or more, etc.

And just because you want to work on a Saturday is not one of the reasons in any Supplement.

Homework assignment.

Read your Regional Supplement and then come back and tell us the only circumstances in which you are contractually allowed to displace a junior employee.
Thank you for this im much obliged. I have gone through the seniority article a handful of times and like you stated that’s all I could see in regards to seniority. I go through my region a few times a week and this gripe my coworkers have had, caught my attention because I don’t recall seeing anything in the handbook. I was just curious how it’s handled elsewhere across the nation, and will update with any findings I have.

Sixth Punch Sense

Central, don't believe there is anay language. A Saturday driver complained to the Saturday on road and he agreed. So we are under this policy till the grievance is finalized. We are the only building in our district that runs it this way.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
What region is this in? I get not being able to bump from working but not being able to bump to do a desired route? That I don’t understand nor have I seen anything that has language in the southern region that says drivers with seniority cant use seniority to bump routes.
Not how it works Try again

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
So you believe that a senior employee should be able to "bump" to their desired route by seniority?

Wouldn't that in essence start a chain reaction (domino effect), where the original plan is turned upside down, potentially leaving multiple drivers in the blind?

Not sure why the Company would agree to such a system, one that sacrifices safety, service and production.

Brown Down

So you believe that a senior employee should be able to "bump" to their desired route by seniority?

Wouldn't that in essence start a chain reaction (domino effect), where the original plan is turned upside down, potentially leaving multiple drivers in the blind?

Not sure why the Company would agree to such a system, one that sacrifices safety, service and production.
it would only be turned on its head if it was dispatched fully by driver and not route. Oh wait......
And saftey and service went out the window with orion and 0 training on routes.

Staydryitsraining

You have no right to Saturday work, it's considered extra work because its not your scheduled work day, your the bottom. No where in the history of the company has someone done extra work and used seniority to bump. I'll assume your asking because you were told you can't come in and do what you want to do on your scheduled day off. Your a p.o.s. go get a second job you entitled dinosaur. I'll also assume you work through vacations. LOSER!

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
You have no right to Saturday work, it's considered extra work because its not your scheduled work day, your the bottom. No where in the history of the company has someone done extra work and used seniority to bump. I'll assume your asking because you were told you can't come in and do what you want to do on your scheduled day off. Your a p.o.s. go get a second job you entitled dinosaur. I'll also assume you work through vacations. LOSER!
Solidarity!

Red Devil

The Power of Connected

Yep…if you’re that desperate for the OT then go learn a new town lol. The GPS will show you where to go

100%ORIONComplianceGuy

25+ Year UPSer and Teamster
In my center, and local as far as I know, M-friend drivers have seniority rights when volunteering for Saturday work. A grievance was filed by some of the (then) 22.4s against that and it was promptly denied. That was a couple of year ago. The justification was that the two "classifications" were only for scheduling the days of work and that seniority still rules.

There is no ACTUAL language in the Souther Region that specifically addresses this issue so, like many other issues, they default to seniority. Which is why drivers on extra work inside are allowed to take the easy jobs. Such as scanning or slapping SPAs on preload instead of being forced to unload trailers or load package cars.

In my opinion, some of the routes should be bid Tuesday-Saturday and that would at least give EVERYONE the opportunity to have a set schedule in regards to avoiding getting bumped. Many of our routes already are essentially Tuesday-Saturday already so it wouldn't change much. And we have a few Tuesday-Friday guys on bid routes that no-one else wanted even though those routes are Monday-Friday. On Mondays those routes go to the unassigned pool and those bid guys are unassigned on Saturdays.

I have a bigger issue with drivers signing up for extra work on preload and then taking the layoff from driving, as well as signing up for vacations they have no intention of working instead of selling back, than the Saturday issue. The latter of which was pretty much eliminated in my center.

I guess I should have introduced myself since this is my "first" post. But its an alias so....kinda pointless. Plus, I was here briefly back in 2000 or so but back then it was mostly people arguing with "TieMan" or something like that so I bolted.