M-FRIDAY driver seniority rights on Saturday delivery

Coldworld

60 months and counting
In my center, and local as far as I know, M-friend drivers have seniority rights when volunteering for Saturday work. A grievance was filed by some of the (then) 22.4s against that and it was promptly denied. That was a couple of year ago. The justification was that the two "classifications" were only for scheduling the days of work and that seniority still rules.

There is no ACTUAL language in the Souther Region that specifically addresses this issue so, like many other issues, they default to seniority. Which is why drivers on extra work inside are allowed to take the easy jobs. Such as scanning or slapping SPAs on preload instead of being forced to unload trailers or load package cars.

In my opinion, some of the routes should be bid Tuesday-Saturday and that would at least give EVERYONE the opportunity to have a set schedule in regards to avoiding getting bumped. Many of our routes already are essentially Tuesday-Saturday already so it wouldn't change much. And we have a few Tuesday-Friday guys on bid routes that no-one else wanted even though those routes are Monday-Friday. On Mondays those routes go to the unassigned pool and those bid guys are unassigned on Saturdays.

I have a bigger issue with drivers signing up for extra work on preload and then taking the layoff from driving, as well as signing up for vacations they have no intention of working instead of selling back, than the Saturday issue. The latter of which was pretty much eliminated in my center.

I guess I should have introduced myself since this is my "first" post. But its an alias so....kinda pointless. Plus, I was here briefly back in 2000 or so but back then it was mostly people arguing with "TieMan" or something like that so I bolted.
@Danny...is that you??? @tieguy was the dudes name. Was a feeder sup if I remember correctly.

Which is why drivers on extra work inside are allowed to take the easy jobs. Such as scanning or slapping SPAs on preload instead of being forced to unload trailers or load package cars.
In my building, delivery drivers that volunteer to work the preload are always loading package cars since that is where the need is. Work as directed or don't come in.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
You have no right to Saturday work, it's considered extra work because its not your scheduled work day, your the bottom. No where in the history of the company has someone done extra work and used seniority to bump. I'll assume your asking because you were told you can't come in and do what you want to do on your scheduled day off. Your a p.o.s. go get a second job you entitled dinosaur. I'll also assume you work through vacations. LOSER!
IMG_6863.gif

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
In my center, and local as far as I know, M-friend drivers have seniority rights when volunteering for Saturday work. A grievance was filed by some of the (then) 22.4s against that and it was promptly denied. That was a couple of year ago. The justification was that the two "classifications" were only for scheduling the days of work and that seniority still rules.

There is no ACTUAL language in the Souther Region that specifically addresses this issue so, like many other issues, they default to seniority. Which is why drivers on extra work inside are allowed to take the easy jobs. Such as scanning or slapping SPAs on preload instead of being forced to unload trailers or load package cars.

In my opinion, some of the routes should be bid Tuesday-Saturday and that would at least give EVERYONE the opportunity to have a set schedule in regards to avoiding getting bumped. Many of our routes already are essentially Tuesday-Saturday already so it wouldn't change much. And we have a few Tuesday-Friday guys on bid routes that no-one else wanted even though those routes are Monday-Friday. On Mondays those routes go to the unassigned pool and those bid guys are unassigned on Saturdays.

I have a bigger issue with drivers signing up for extra work on preload and then taking the layoff from driving, as well as signing up for vacations they have no intention of working instead of selling back, than the Saturday issue. The latter of which was pretty much eliminated in my center.

I guess I should have introduced myself since this is my "first" post. But its an alias so....kinda pointless. Plus, I was here briefly back in 2000 or so but back then it was mostly people arguing with "TieMan" or something like that so I bolted.
You can grieve any or all of these scenarios

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
So you believe that a senior employee should be able to "bump" to their desired route by seniority?

Wouldn't that in essence start a chain reaction (domino effect), where the original plan is turned upside down, potentially leaving multiple drivers in the blind?

Not sure why the Company would agree to such a system, one that sacrifices safety, service and production.
Safety. Lol.

100%ORIONComplianceGuy

25+ Year UPSer and Teamster
So you believe that a senior employee should be able to "bump" to their desired route by seniority?

Wouldn't that in essence start a chain reaction (domino effect), where the original plan is turned upside down, potentially leaving multiple drivers in the blind?

Not sure why the Company would agree to such a system, one that sacrifices safety, service and production.
On Saturdays there are no bid routes. Everyone is unassigned. But my center has quite a few routes that could easily be moved to Tuesday-Saturday because they are essentially like that already. The local (Our BA anyway) said hell no we're not bidding any routes like that. But there were quite a few people interested. I mean they are cut on Mondays and always in on Saturday so it would make sense. Sometimes the union's decisions are just as bad as the company's. 🤦‍♂️

Brownwind

I just steamroll and take my regular area if I work Saturday. Seniority always rules especially when you volunteered for a sixth punch. Just enjoy the day.

On Saturday it’s drink coffee, listen to music and don’t hit anything.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
On Saturdays there are no bid routes. Everyone is unassigned. But my center has quite a few routes that could easily be moved to Tuesday-Saturday because they are essentially like that already. The local (Our BA anyway) said hell no we're not bidding any routes like that. But there were quite a few people interested. I mean they are cut on Mondays and always in on Saturday so it would make sense. Sometimes the union's decisions are just as bad as the company's. 🤦‍♂️
Here (Central Region), Saturday routes carry a different nomenclature than the M-Friday routes and are typically multiple routes in one.

....and the Local has not been afforded the option as to what routes can be bid ultimately.

But I agree with those who assert that 6th day volunteers should get what's left after those working their 5th scheduled day have their seniority prevail.

Don't like it, stay home.

Last edited:

100%ORIONComplianceGuy

I just steamroll and take my regular area if I work Saturday. Seniority always rules especially when you volunteered for a sixth punch. Just enjoy the day.

On Saturday it’s drink coffee, listen to music and don’t hit anything.
I haven't worked a Saturday in a long time. But when i did I could never work in my bid area. Saturday routes didn't go out that far.

Saturdays were cake the first year or so we had it. But then someone told our dispatcher to cut routes and pile it on.

I hear both sides of the argument concerning seniority rights. I understand both. But I always default to what is SUPPOSED to be the one thing we have at UPS. And that's seniority. So....seniority rules! Not....seniority rules.....except in certain situations. We either have seniority or we don't. For that reason I'm very much against "classification" seniority and don't think anyone should ever lose seniority because they switched jobs.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I haven't worked a Saturday in a long time. But when i did I could never work in my bid area. Saturday routes didn't go out that far.

Saturdays were cake the first year or so we had it. But then someone told our dispatcher to cut routes and pile it on.

I hear both sides of the argument concerning seniority rights. I understand both. But I always default to what is SUPPOSED to be the one thing we have at UPS. And that's seniority. So....seniority rules! Not....seniority rules.....except in certain situations. We either have seniority or we don't. For that reason I'm very much against "classification" seniority and don't think anyone should ever lose seniority because they switched jobs.
When all things are equal, absolutely, seniority rules.

....but in this instance they aren't equal until each Teamster has achieved their 5 day, 40 hour guarantee.

"Extra Work" is aptly named and not guaranteed until we are put to work.

100%ORIONComplianceGuy

When all things are equal, absolutely, seniority rules.

....but in this instance they aren't equal until each Teamster has achieved their 5 day, 40 hour guarantee.

"Extra Work" is aptly named and not guaranteed until we are put to work.
I (and our local) disagree. No one is getting robbed of their 5th day or their 40 hours by someone in extra work status. They're just not getting (potentially) the route they want. That was one of the explanations we were given when the 22.4s filed and lost.

I can can remember getting bumped by double shifters wanting extra work when I was still part-time inside. I bitched about it but was told "Seniority rules." Was told it was ok as long as the person being bumped by the double shifter wasn't being knocked out of classification and was getting their report and guaranteed hours. Thats not exactly the same as the above but it illustrates a more seniority minded approach that our local has on CERTAIN issues. I wish they were so hardcore about it when it comes to employees switching jobs. Like package to 22.3, package to feeders, etc.. No one should EVER lose seniority.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box

I believe in consistency, seniority is king at the center I work at and “bumping” has been done for years here. So yes by design (until otherwise) I believe any of my coworkers that have been here longer than a junior driver and had done the crappy dump routes, should still be able to use their seniority to “bump” like it has always been done here. Like I stated in the OP I wanted to know how its is handled elsewhere. Not looking for a hot take.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box

I have been going in circles looking through that supplement for any language on this, so thank you. Its a nice idea for there to be bid routes being set for T-S until management starts chopping routes up and spreading them out, like they do here M-T. We need for surepost to be eliminated and maybe that might help keep routes up.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
You have no right to Saturday work, it's considered extra work because its not your scheduled work day, your the bottom. No where in the history of the company has someone done extra work and used seniority to bump. I'll assume your asking because you were told you can't come in and do what you want to do on your scheduled day off. Your a p.o.s. go get a second job you entitled dinosaur. I'll also assume you work through vacations. LOSER!
You are out of your element young lady, you have no frame of reference, no concept of reality. Besides you got the tone all wrong…I load my truck two hours early before start time off the clock I sprint off deliveries and code a 1 1/2 hour lunch and work every second of it. Your deduction skills are rudimentary.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I (and our local) disagree. No one is getting robbed of their 5th day or their 40 hours by someone in extra work status. They're just not getting (potentially) the route they want. That was one of the explanations we were given when the 22.4s filed and lost.

I can can remember getting bumped by double shifters wanting extra work when I was still part-time inside. I bitched about it but was told "Seniority rules." Was told it was ok as long as the person being bumped by the double shifter wasn't being knocked out of classification and was getting their report and guaranteed hours. Thats not exactly the same as the above but it illustrates a more seniority minded approach that our local has on CERTAIN issues. I wish they were so hardcore about it when it comes to employees switching jobs. Like package to 22.3, package to feeders, etc.. No one should EVER lose seniority.
The senior employee already exercised their seniority to work their preferred schedule, now they are flexing it twice on the same junior employees in the pursuit of "extra work" on a sixth day?

Seems like double jeopardy to me and flat out selfish.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I believe in consistency, seniority is king at the center I work at and “bumping” has been done for years here. So yes by design (until otherwise) I believe any of my coworkers that have been here longer than a junior driver and had done the crappy dump routes, should still be able to use their seniority to “bump” like it has always been done here. Like I stated in the OP I wanted to know how its is handled elsewhere. Not looking for a hot take.
You are looking for someone to tell you what you want to hear in the absence of contractual language to support it.

....and dubbing it a "hot take" when you don't get it.

Sorry I couldn't help you where others could.

100%ORIONComplianceGuy

The senior employee already exercised their seniority to work their preferred schedule, now they are flexing it twice on the same junior employees in the pursuit of "extra work" on a sixth day?

Seems like double jeopardy to me and flat out selfish.
The 22.4s were getting their 5th report and their hours. The extra work guys were using their seniority to select routes. That’s how the BA and local settled it. Either we have seniority or we don’t.

If they were getting bumped completely out of working that day, then that would be a different story.

Last edited: