M-FRIDAY driver seniority rights on Saturday delivery

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
There were two m-friend drivers that volunteered this past Saturday and then tried to request 8 hour guarantees.

DENIED 🤣🤣

Some of them at my building tried saying that they were not required to take a lunch on Saturday because they were there out of the goodness of their hearts

Savage21

#1 Saturday driver ✊
What’s incorrect
You said there's no such thing as a volunteer lol.

Yes there is..try requesting a g8 on a Saturday and see what happens. It's not your scheduled day. I don't think you can bump me off my bid route either. If my route is 08A and the route 08A is in on Saturday you can't bump me off it.

I think You're right about the 9.5 protection though. Just because you volunteer doesn't mean you're volunteering for excessive overtime.

Appvol

You said there's no such thing as a volunteer lol.

Yes there is..try requesting a g8 on a Saturday and see what happens. It's not your scheduled day. I don't think you can bump me off my bid route either. If my route is 08A and the route 08A is in on Saturday you can't bump me off it.

I think You're right about the 9.5 protection though. Just because you volunteer doesn't mean you're volunteering for excessive overtime.
My center don’t have bid routes on Saturday. If my center doesn’t have enough drivers for Saturday they ask Monday thru Friday drivers who want to work and go by seniority if to many say they will work. If no Monday thru Friday drivers want to work Saturday our shop steward got it worked out that temp drivers can work on Saturday so there is enough drivers.

Savage21

#1 Saturday driver ✊
My center don’t have bid routes on Saturday. If my center doesn’t have enough drivers for Saturday they ask Monday thru Friday drivers who want to work and go by seniority if to many say they will work. If no Monday thru Friday drivers want to work Saturday our shop steward got it worked out that temp drivers can work on Saturday so there is enough drivers.
Same here. But If I'm a t-s driver with a bid route you're not bumping off my bid route if my bid route is in on Saturday..don't care what area it has if my bid route number is in that's what I'm running.

Now with that said, that being my scheduled day, I can bump a lower t-s driver off their Saturday route if I want.

But a m-friend volunteer isn't gonna bump me off my own route on a Saturday when it's not their scheduled day.

Appvol

Same here. But If I'm a t-s driver with a bid route you're not bumping off my bid route if my bid route is in on Saturday..don't care what area it has if my bid route number is in that's what I'm running.

Now with that said, that being my scheduled day, I can bump a lower t-s driver off their Saturday route if I want.

But a m-friend volunteer isn't gonna bump me off my own route on a Saturday when it's not their scheduled day.
I agree on the route number if that is your bid route. Still not a volunteer though. I’m just using my seniority to do extra work that is available

Savage21

#1 Saturday driver ✊
I agree on the route number if that is your bid route. Still not a volunteer though. I’m just using my seniority to do extra work that is available
You are a volunteer. You can't request a g8 (8 hour request) you can't put in for a personal day, or a sick day. You can't bump any lower seniorty.

If you volunteer on a non scheduled day you are at their mercy.

You can probably still use it as 9.5 day but that's literally the only protection you have.

Appvol

You are a volunteer. You can't request a g8 (8 hour request) you can't put in for a personal day, or a sick day. You can't bump any lower seniorty.

You can probably still use it as 9.5 day but that's literally the only protection you have.
We get to choose what we want to run and we have choice of what we want to run. So the Monday thru Friday drivers take the routes that are a hour away from the center if they need us on Saturday. I have had it made on the Saturdays that I have worked.

542thruNthru

Still not a volunteer though.
You keep saying this and it's confusing the hell out of me.

You can't be forced to work Saturday so the only way you will work Saturday is if you decide to. Is it extra work.. sure but it's work you can turn down.

So what would you call yourself when you are freely electing to give up your Saturday to work...

A voluntary non-volunteer?

Appvol

You keep saying this and it's confusing the hell out of me.

You can't be forced to work Saturday so the only way you will work Saturday is if you decide to. Is it extra work.. sure but it's work you can turn down.

So what would you call yourself when you are freely electing to give up your Saturday to work...

A voluntary non-volunteer?
Seniority means everything especially when there is extra work available

Brown Down

I know here it was considered a 9.5 day as you volunteered to work not to get crushed. But that was more than likely a local agreement to what isn't in the contract.

100%ORIONComplianceGuy

25+ Year UPSer and Teamster
What article of the contract says that ?
I was wondering the same thing. Honestly, one could ask that question coming from either viewpoint. I am in the camp that believes there should be no limit to the coverage. Shouldn’t matter if you work one day or seven. If you’re on the 9.5 list then you should have protection. 8 hr requests as well. No one has tried pressing either issue in my building yet so far.

I was wondering the same thing. Honestly, one could ask that question coming from either viewpoint. I am in the camp that believes there should be no limit to the coverage. Shouldn’t matter if you work one day or seven. If you’re on the 9.5 list then you should have protection. 8 hr requests as well. No one has tried pressing either issue in my building yet so far.
I thought under the current contract if you are on the 9.5 list that you could not volunteer for Saturdays

Sporhwhore

I thought under the current contract if you are on the 9.5 list that you could not volunteer for Saturdays
We have plenty of them as well… I work some Saturdays here and there used to do it almost all of them and the last one I did was a 12.5… I was pissed but I know what I signed up for 🤷‍♂️… 8 hour request on a volunteer day is laughable to me although most 6 punches we only have 10 or less DOT hours available anyway

We have plenty of them as well… I work some Saturdays here and there used to do it almost all of them and the last one I did was a 12.5… I was pissed but I know what I signed up for 🤷‍♂️… 8 hour request on a volunteer day is laughable to me although most 6 punches we only have 10 or less DOT hours available anyway
5 days a week is enough for me