Major Fail At Our Ground Terminal Already

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
It takes you two hours to load your truck? Are you one of those guys who has to get every box in order on the floor before you put anything in the truck? lol
I'm sure your idea of loading is putting paper in your desk drawer. Like you could load a truck any better.

CJinx

I'm sure your idea of loading is putting paper in your desk drawer. Like you could load a truck any better.
Started as a package handler and loaded multiple trucks at the head of a belt before Vision. If it takes you two hours to load your truck in the morning, you suck and it's no wonder you think you're overworked on the road.

dvalleyjim

It takes you two hours to load your truck? Are you one of those guys who has to get every box in order on the floor before you put anything in the truck? lol

Uhh, I've been doing this for 22 yrs., I make it look easy. I'm 55 and could probably run rings around your young whipper-snapper arse. But their guys who come in at 4:30 to load their trucks. By the way, with home delivery you can load and scan your truck in 20 minutes and wait another 1 1/2 for the rest of your packages.

dvalleyjim

If you're getting paid salary then you are getting paid to load the truck and drive. None of that makes sense.

Paying drivers salary is illegal. They are hourly employees. I know you do it. Fine.. I'm retired and do what I want. I don't work a lot of hours and don't have a problem being a low paid delivery driver because at 55 I'm not ready to retire and need the exercise. But If I had to make a living off what some of you pay....wow!

bacha29

dvj: I am happy to hear that you are pacing yourself. I went full throttle for 23 years missed a total of 5 days , 2 of those were HOS max outs and 1 for the death of my mother I even ran 6 days a week for more than 5 years. While I thought I could go on forever at 62 it was over. The reason? Severe Bilateral Rhuematoid Arthritis.It's hereditary and symmetrical meaning if you get it one knee, you'll get it in the other same for other joints as well. For me it means total replacement of both hip joints but I'm not complaining and but for the exception of those 5 days I'm proud of the fact that I never sent somebody out there to do a job I wouldn't do myself or go into some rat hole stop I wouldn't go into myself. Take care of yourself . While you may be in good health otherwise 55 is not 25.

It will be fine

Paying drivers salary is illegal. They are hourly employees. I know you do it. Fine.. I'm retired and do what I want. I don't work a lot of hours and don't have a problem being a low paid delivery driver because at 55 I'm not ready to retire and need the exercise. But If I had to make a living off what some of you pay....wow!
It's not illegal to pay a salary. Drivers are exempt employees. As long as the hourly wage equivalent is above minimum it's fine. I pay salary and don't manage the drivers hours beyond DOT requirements. If a guy wants to come to work early and have a couple hours downtime in the middle of the day I don't stop them.

STFXG

I pay salary or piece rate, whichever is greater. I also pay OT (trucks are all under 10k gvw). Please point me to the labor law saying it's illegal.

NYCFXG

Today was a day of failure all around. Trucks that normally go out with 120 stops during a normal off peak day went out with 250. The ICs left behind on my belt alone were in the hundreds. Based on station totals on the DSW over 5k packages went undelivered today. 10 hours of rain made it impossible to put helpers on hand trucks.

dvalleyjim

It's not illegal to pay a salary. Drivers are exempt employees. As long as the hourly wage equivalent is above minimum it's fine. I pay salary and don't manage the drivers hours beyond DOT requirements. If a guy wants to come to work early and have a couple hours downtime in the middle of the day I don't stop them.

I know your payroll company will tell your it's okay. They may even file all the forms and send in the tax payments. But.....Federal law has a definition for salaried personal. It is that they have to manage people, and their pay must meet an hourly standard. You can surely get away with paying an hourly driver salary, until you get sued. Then you will owe overtime, lunch and breaks for 3 years on every employee. It's better than a 1099 but still illegal.

bbsam

Staff member
I know your payroll company will tell your it's okay. They may even file all the forms and send in the tax payments. But.....Federal law has a definition for salaried personal. It is that they have to manage people, and their pay must meet an hourly standard. You can surely get away with paying an hourly driver salary, until you get sued. Then you will owe overtime, lunch and breaks for 3 years on every employee. It's better than a 1099 but still illegal.
I doubt that because if true, X would include hourly pay reports in annual compliance disclosures.

bacha29

DVJ: you and IWBF may both be right. I read somewhere in the wage and hour rules published by the U.S.Dept of Labor that says something to the effect that local pickup and delivery people can be paid a salary if they are limited to 40 hour work weeks. I'm not going to sit up all night looking for it but I will when I get a moment away from rehab and other tasks but I think both of you are right to a certain point. Christmas bores me that might be some good Christmas day reading.