Management (ERO) Early Retirement Offer

"Getting back to the ERO theme one of our center manager's mentioned this week (1-5-09) that he heard that an ERO is being proposed to reduce Mgmt personnel...anyone else hearing anything similiar in your District? "

We were told there is a "big" managers meeting in Atlanta this week or next.
Rumors were rampant in my area today. No merit increases or 401k match this year. ERO or buyout for those age 53 and up w/minimum 10 years of service. Increase in retirement age to 60. Heard this is supposed to be announced on Monday.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Rumors were rampant in my area today. No merit increases or 401k match this year. ERO or buyout for those age 53 and up w/minimum 10 years of service. Increase in retirement age to 60. Heard this is supposed to be announced on Monday.
Same rumors going around the Innooplex as well.
Too busy to call around...they'll let us know eventually.

Trpl:

First, its not difficult to fix. I've done it many times for centers in my area.
maybe not that difficult if you know how. Only one guy in our building will admit to knowing how to do anything with the system.

Second, its the local management job to set up the exact same information whether using DPS or using manual spreadsheets (like I did when I ran a center).
It just seems alot harder to do now than with the old system.
Third, the system gives tools that I would have died for....
- They can see trace and routes on a map.
- They can ask the system to create a trace as a starting point.
- They can work off-line to make edits and see the imapct
- They can see their PLD before the packages show up
Again, you have to have someone that has the time and knowledge.

perfect data is NOT required, just the same level of accuracy that we needed in the past.
GIGO

My point is that this is pointing out the more capable vs. less capable management. A poor manager will go on road an deliver misloads instead of fixing the problem to begin with.
It's been well documented that UPS is more for putting out fires rather than preventing them.

The right answer is to use the system as it was intended. It works and works very well. I've seen it and used it.
I think that was my point. Although I put too much stress on the accuracy or prefect data input.
I stand by my statement of "The blame should placed higher because that is where the decisions are made on how many and who are in the center to put out the fires. In a way, the odds our supervisor teams face are much like what the men of the Alamo face with Santa Anna. That is a design to fail."

P-Man
Thanks for you input P-Man

BURMDPsupe

Nice (sarcasm). I don't know about the rest of the BC folks, but I'm not working for today, instead I'm working towards my retirement. No matching 401K is an insult. Just keep taking away the "incentives" I'll work harder!

Looking thought the cloudy crystal ball: first the 401K, next will be the 1/2 month and the kicker will be the pension. May not happen right away, but mark my predictions.

M-

Braveheart

I had a higher up tell me he thinks that there will be an offer of some sort this year. I sure hope a certain few will take it. The problem is then we are left with a bunch of young former part time sups trying to run things. God help us.

I had a higher up tell me he thinks that there will be an offer of some sort this year. I sure hope a certain few will take it. The problem is then we are left with a bunch of young former part time sups trying to run things. God help us.

At least where I was, several of the best PT Sups passed their panels. Then the company sat on them as PT Sups, even though they were doing 85% of a FT Sup's job. Not surprisingly, they left the company.

Now I hear that several of the far less-qualified PT Sups just passed panel. If an ERO flushes out the over-50 FT Sups, you're going to get very green newly-promoted PT'ers to fill the holes. They'll be cheap, but the best part of your bench of potential new FT'ers has already walked out the door. It seems UPS has depleted its bench in the last couple of years.

Take a former PT Sup and make him a FT Preload Sup who also dispatches his center. See how long they last. They certainly won't have time to fix PAS loop problems, maintain AMS aliases, hit 100% DMS in range, and 100% DOK compliance every month. Don't forget about the daily LIB shuttle!

Announcement will be next week on EBO.

Ugh. Here we go again. I'm sure when next week comes and goes, it will be "Announcement will be next week."

I like a good rumor as much as the next person but this thread and the posters who continue to feed this rumor are losing credibility daily.

pretzel_man

In the meeting with the region managers and corporate district managers here is what was said:

There is an excess of management people right now. The number is about 1500. The plan is to handle the excess through attrition. No buyout is coming unless things change.

On average, a little over 3000 management people turn over each year, so attrition should cover the excess within in a year.

To my surprise, no salary reductions or raise eliminations were announced.

Regardless of this, I'm sure someone will know somebody who has a friend who heard that a buyout is coming. We will then see the rumors come back again.

BTW, Davis said he is going on the road to give the message to each region. Good move.

P-Man

tiegirl

tiegirl
Amen Management (ERO) Early Retirement Offer

Can I get an Amen? Amen! Amen! Come on now. No one has said this better! Get rid of the over paid top heavy sups and "managers" who create work for you to make their job seem important to someone in the corporate office. Does someone in the corporate office need some glasses. All the need to do is take a look and see they have more sups and "managers" in places to make the indian's work more comlicated and impossible to obtain. Ahh. Therefore the reason for the sup or managers existance to show that indian how things should be done. If they could "get it done" they would be getting it done instead of telling the indian how bad they are at the job and to hold on termination day is coming. There is positive reinforcement. Do the impossible or get terminated. Since a bad day at work is better than a good day looking for a job we allow ourselves to be degraded and humilated by these managers. Please offer them an early retirement, get them out of our way with their unrealistic demands and let us do some work that could be productive.

Just proof that there are waaaaaaaaay to many chiefs at UPS

drewed

Shankman
Re: Amen Management (ERO) Early Retirement Offer

Can I get an Amen? Amen! Amen! Come on now. No one has said this better! Get rid of the over paid top heavy sups and "managers" who create work for you to make their job seem important to someone in the corporate office. Does someone in the corporate office need some glasses. All the need to do is take a look and see they have more sups and "managers" in places to make the indian's work more comlicated and impossible to obtain. Ahh. Therefore the reason for the sup or managers existance to show that indian how things should be done. If they could "get it done" they would be getting it done instead of telling the indian how bad they are at the job and to hold on termination day is coming. There is positive reinforcement. Do the impossible or get terminated. Since a bad day at work is better than a good day looking for a job we allow ourselves to be degraded and humilated by these managers. Please offer them an early retirement, get them out of our way with their unrealistic demands and let us do some work that could be productive.

Its an old tired arguement, you say UPS doesnt need management the workers can do it all blah blah blah

negrosangre

Don't know how true it is, but have heard management/staff layoff rumors are picking up in Atlanta again. Apparently work is noticably slow there for staff.