Management (ERO) Early Retirement Offer

trickpony1

It's my understsnding he had a pacemaker with a de-fibrillator function that was inactivated.
Pacemakers aren't disqualifying......a de-fib is.
I believe the disqualifying doctor wrote a letter of protest regarding the disqualifying but to no avail.
The company is gonna do what they damn well please and it doesn't matter what anyone thinks. The company is above the laws that apply to everyone else.

Once again......we need to wake up.

It's my understsnding he had a pacemaker with a de-fibrillator function that was inactivated.
Pacemakers aren't disqualifying......a de-fib is.
I believe the disqualifying doctor wrote a letter of protest regarding the disqualifying but to no avail.
The company is gonna do what they damn well please and it doesn't matter what anyone thinks. The company is above the laws that apply to everyone else.

Once again......we need to wake up.
The DQing Doc wrote a protest to his/her own action? Shaking my heard on this one. Thanks for the info.

Now...... we are awake, but to do just what? What can we possibly do?

trickpony1

It's my understanding that back in the 80's, a certain chain store (not wal mart) started getting rid of all their older employees. a segment was done by one of the documentary TV news show (example: 60 minutes or 20/20).
I believe the business dropped drastically at this store chain and the stock went down the tubes. It took a long time for said company to recover from that.
Will we ever organize a movement like that by the employees of "our" company? NOPE. there are too many employees who are up to their ears in debt and are so greedy that they can't miss a day or two of work.

.....until it happens to them.

Myron

trplnkl-
yes I do know this for a fact. I have the court case number and I know someone with the transcript from a deposition.
Guess what? the feeder driver lost the case but, guess what else? the company was nice enough to let him work in the hub at all ungodly hours of the night (and with a $30,000 a year cut in earnings) until he gets his retirement.
Wasn't that sweet!

"....but one doesn't have to just take it and lay down". What would you suggest the affected feeder driver or anyone else do, short of civil insurrection?

I agaree with Myron completely.
Racial discrimnation won't save the company money.
Sexual discrimination won't either.

Handicap/age related discrimation WILL save the company money because, somewhere down the road, the company can hire a cheaper employee (with one week of vacation instead of six) to replace the employee that was forced/pressured/coerced in resigning (or was fired).

As a group, we are all getting older......the company doesn't care about us.
We better wake up and smell the roses (and maybe read the writing on the wall).
I truly never considered the vacation savings, but you are absolutely correct! Huge money saved there.

Additionally, my numbers were gathered based on center business managers and staff. I did not truly look at supervisors and drivers. From the standpoint of drivers and supervisors, especially drivers, everytime one goes down unvested it is the ULTIMATE BONUS for UPS and the union gave up the pension in many places of the country!?

The benefits of PAS is dumbing skill levels down- In the future UPS will go through drivers like they go through preloaders and part timers. The union will bargain for the best pay that can be acheived for hourly after 5 years $25 hour (whatever) and vacation and healthcare. UPS will follow up with an attrition process whereby many, many people will be gone before they are vested or maybe even before they hit full pay. WHAT THE HECK DO YOU PEOPLE THINK PAS PROVIDES AND DOES?

Think it impossible? Watch.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's my understanding that back in the 80's, a certain chain store (not wal mart) started getting rid of all their older employees. a segment was done by one of the documentary TV news show (example: 60 minutes or 20/20).
I believe the business dropped drastically at this store chain and the stock went down the tubes. It took a long time for said company to recover from that.

It was K-Mart and I have not been in a K-Mart in over 20 years for this reason.

Hawaii50

I see your point, the attrition part of UPS is unreal. UPS corporate are masters at using the bathtub curve on their employees from management to hourly. Younger mangement who display the ability to strive and overcome all the obstacales within their operation will replace the older managment. Sadly that is life at UPS. Even hourlies experience the attrition.

I however think that UPS has somekind of policy where useless/rats hourly employees are identifed and are kept on the payroll. These useless/rats individuals naturally create the attrition within the hourly ranks. From a psychological standpoint, if the hourlies are fighting each other this frees up time for management to do what they have to do. Normally the most productive employees are the ones who have deal with the useless/rats. These employees tend to get angry with the useless/rats. Then the productive employees are terminated for what is interpeted as threating behavior.

These productive employees tend to be the higher paid employees. The end result UPS saves money when the release the higher paid guys and hire some brand new kid right off the street at 8.50/hour. In some cases, some kid off street will be just as good or better then productive employee. Like you say UPS saves money, the 8.50 kid can do the job that 12.50 kid did. The UPS policy makers are smart they play hourly employees against each other.

"It's all about the numbers this is life at UPS."

negrosangre

OK, peak is over (mostly), vacations are over, so it must be time for rumors to start again about layoffs and early retirement packages. Should be interesting.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Someone needs to start a rumor about a driver ERO with a big payoff to leave. That would stir up some intrest and alot would be ready to jump ship ,including me. :greedy:

trickpony1

Not sure I understand why the Teamster's would offer an ERO for bargaining unit employees?

I don't think the teamsters would.
The company would because:
1)it would get rid of the old drivers that "might" file comp,
2)it would get way cheaper new employees with a 2 year progression in front of them,
3)it would get rid of employees with 6 weeks of vacation and replace them with the new employees with just one week vacation,
4)it would get rid of the old, slow, crippled up employees and replace them with "runners and gunners" and, finally,
5)the shareholders would love it and the stock would go through the ceiling.

hows that grab ya?

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I don't think the teamsters would.
The company would because:
1)it would get rid of the old drivers that "might" file comp,
2)it would get way cheaper new employees with a 2 year progression in front of them,
3)it would get rid of employees with 6 weeks of vacation and replace them with the new employees with just one week vacation,
4)it would get rid of the old, slow, crippled up employees and replace them with "runners and gunners" and, finally,
5)the shareholders would love it and the stock would go through the ceiling.

hows that grab ya?

Everything you listed sounds like me so it doesn't grab me too well! :happy-very:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Someone needs to start a rumor about a driver ERO with a big payoff to leave. That would stir up some interest and a lot would be ready to jump ship ,including me. :greedy:

Trickpony,
I guess I was being a little "technical" when I said, "Not sure I understand why the Teamster's would offer an ERO for bargaining unit employees?"
An ERO is an Early Retirement Offer (as opposed to a buyout which maybe you replied to and I guess UPS could offer to drivers).
An ERO could only be made by the Teamsters since UPS has nothing to do with a driver retiring...the union defines eligibility and provides retirement benefits.

They closed all of their stores and pulled out of Texas 10 years ago.
How about Sears? K-Mart is Sears now.
Not true. There is an operating K-Mart Superstore just three blocks from where I am right now. Sears Corp does own K-Mart and sells alot of Sears products (such as Craftsman Tools), but the stores are still labeled K-Mart.

Not true. There is an operating K-Mart Superstore just three blocks from where I am right now. Sears Corp does own K-Mart and sells alot of Sears products (such as Craftsman Tools), but the stores are still labeled K-Mart.

Sears holding corp. owns K-Mart. Therefore K-Mart is now Sears. K-Mart management does not exist.