Meaningless Fluff

Sitting here watching the technician from MyCleanPC work remotely on my laptop. It has been running really slowly lately. I downloaded their software ($20), which didn't help, so now I am paying $99 to have it repaired over the phone. It appears I picked up some malware along the way as he is installing anti-malware software. It is really cool to sit back and watch him work.

Resident know-it-all.

You do know that as he goes around on your computer checking things he'll have access to any naughty files you may have on there?

oldngray

nowhere special
DownloadVirus.gif

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I am paranoid and fanatic about malware/spyware/viruses. I do all the maintenance myself. Keep everything up to date and use multiple programs for a layered defense (only 1 antivirus but it can be used in conjunction with other programs). And run frequent scans and back up files.
Good idea. I just use Microsoft Security Essentials mostly, since its free. Does a good job. I build and fix computers on the side, my buddies and some customers always having me fix their computers after they get viruses and stuff. After I fix them I always put the system restore on their desktop and show them how to use it if they run into the problem again. Easy fix that way usually.

Good idea. I just use Microsoft Security Essentials mostly, since its free. Does a good job. I build and fix computers on the side, my buddies and some customers always having me fix their computers after they get viruses and stuff. After I fix them I always put the system restore on their desktop and show them how to use it if they run into the problem again. Easy fix that way usually.
Quit touching yourself!..lmfao

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Better idea: Mac + OS-X

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
And your going to pay an arm and a leg for it too lol. But definitely wont have the virus and spyware issues that windows does.

I ran away from Windoze years ago, and have been happy ever since.

May cost a little more in the long run, but the peace of mind is priceless.

oldngray

nowhere special
Or you could put the Linux operating systems on there, there not too bad and probably a lot safer than windows operating system.

I installed Linux on an old computer. It will do most things but still not quite as good as Windows. There are so many flavors of Linux its hard to chose one. I tried several distros and Kubuntu feels the most like Windows but my preference was Xubuntu. Its less bloated and runs smoother for me. Or you could get all geeky and get one of the Arch versions but they require a lot effort to set up.