Mechanics

AB831

Since the start of 2020, one of my station's mechanics moved to another station, and three more were fired, including the manager. The ones brought in to replace them are absolutely horrible. Before my vacation, I wrote up my truck for hard shifting and making a terrible noise when it went through the gears. The mechanic ignored it on the VIR, and my transmission blew out, leaving me on the side of the road until a tow truck came. After they "fixed" it yesterday, it was making an extremely loud rattling noise and the entire truck would vibrate so bad I could barely control it when going through 3rd gear. I wrote it up again. This morning, he told me that it's fine and that all trucks do that when they get new tires. My manager asked if I thought it was fit to drive, and I said absolutely not, and I was given a rental. The "mechanic" then put the truck back in the shop to do god knows what with it. What are the mechanics like at your stations? We can't keep one for more than a few months, and each new one is worse than the last.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Since the start of 2020, one of my station's mechanics moved to another station, and three more were fired, including the manager. The ones brought in to replace them are absolutely horrible. Before my vacation, I wrote up my truck for hard shifting and making a terrible noise when it went through the gears. The mechanic ignored it on the VIR, and my transmission blew out, leaving me on the side of the road until a tow truck came. After they "fixed" it yesterday, it was making an extremely loud rattling noise and the entire truck would vibrate so bad I could barely control it when going through 3rd gear. I wrote it up again. This morning, he told me that it's fine and that all trucks do that when they get new tires. My manager asked if I thought it was fit to drive, and I said absolutely not, and I was given a rental. The "mechanic" then put the truck back in the shop to do god knows what with it. What are the mechanics like at your stations? We can't keep one for more than a few months, and each new one is worse than the last.
I’ve been pretty fortunate where mechanics are concerned. Some are always better than others but no really bad ones like you’ve experienced. I wonder what those mechanics did to get fired? Stealing parts or falsifying maintenance records? It’s kind of hard to get fired from FedEx.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Sounds like you did your job. That's the only thing you can do. We have the best mechanics at our hub. ( sparks, nv ). always willing to help me. I'm retired now but do visit the shop once in awhile and bring Costco pizzas and/or sandwiches.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Was it a tow truck or a TOE truck?
424497D6-6016-4656-8306-589674D25393.jpeg

Sorry. I couldn’t resist. I’ve been waiting to use that one. Lol.

AB831

I’ve been pretty fortunate where mechanics are concerned. Some are always better than others but no really bad ones like you’ve experienced. I wonder what those mechanics did to get fired? Stealing parts or falsifying maintenance records? It’s kind of hard to get fired from FedEx.
I’ve been wondered that too. They’re keeping that under close wraps.

AB831

Sounds like you did your job. That's the only thing you can do. We have the best mechanics at our hub. ( sparks, nv ). always willing to help me. I'm retired now but do visit the shop once in awhile and bring Costco pizzas and/or sandwiches.
Oh that’s awesome. I’m glad you have some rapport with those guys. Costco pizza is amazing.

bacha29

Perhaps Express is adopting Ground's vehicle maintenance protocol........'Don't fix it when it's broke......Fix it when it quits running".

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Our station hired the car wash guy from a car dealership to service our trucks. He trashed several trucks before they were able to displace him. The fact that he was the managing directors son had nothing to do with him getting the job, I'm sure. He's now the FedEx maintenance managing director in a different part of the state.

Just proves it's not what you know, it's who.

Right Dano?

AB831

Our station hired the car wash guy from a car dealership to service our trucks. He trashed several trucks before they were able to displace him. The fact that he was the managing directors son had nothing to do with him getting the job, I'm sure. He's now the FedEx maintenance managing director in a different part of the state.

Right Dano?
I’m sure he was hired solely based on merit and not nepotism.

Star B

White Lightening
Our mechanics are a good bunch. They won't let you drive unsafe vehicles. The only reason why "junk" gets put back in service is because of management, however, that junk is not likely to stop running in the middle of a route or fall apart and hurt you.

The mechanic ignored it on the VIR, and my transmission blew out, leaving me on the side of the road until a tow truck came. After they "fixed" it yesterday, it was making an extremely loud rattling noise and the entire truck would vibrate so bad I could barely control it when going through 3rd gear.
I hope the truck was a reach, our mechanics can't wait till they all leave the fleet.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Right Dano?

"I know this one guy who is related to another guy and, well, that explains everything about everything in the entire company!"

AB831

"I know this one guy who is related to another guy and, well, that explains everything about everything in the entire company!"
We had two managers at our station who lived together and were openly dating. Why was this allowed? Well, one of them was personal friends outside of work with the senior. The type of thing Fred's Myth described certainly isn't isolated.

59 Dano

No different than you painting all couriers with the same brush. And besides, corruption is worse than incompetence.

Said it a million times that couriers' competencies cover the entire spectrum. Either you're senile and can't remember or you choose to ignore it.

59 Dano

We had two managers at our station who lived together and were openly dating. Why was this allowed? Well, one of them was personal friends outside of work with the senior. The type of thing Fred's Myth described certainly isn't isolated.

All that's missing is a pile of hash on the manager's desk!

Two managers at the same station who live together shouldn't be an issue. There's no policy against it.

AB831

All that's missing is a pile of hash on the manager's desk!

Two managers at the same station who live together shouldn't be an issue. There's no policy against it.
Lmao wow, that’s even more pitiful that is ISN’T against policy. This company is such a :censored2:ing joke, and so are you for actually defending it.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
hope the truck was a reach, our mechanics can't wait till they all leave the fleet.
Tell FXE to sell them to FXG subcontractors... we're in dire need of more vehicles.

I'm still in a rental since my transfer to the closer FXG terminal... to the tune of trying to get my box truck transferred to me,so I can have a pass thru and shelves on one side.

I don't mind the rental for now, I can only brick it out with a limited quantity and the ac is helping me to stay focused on the routes