Mediator ends talks

drewed

Shankman
==========

Ups will be in the national spot light if they don't start taking a better look at there maintenance.
Believe me I have worked in all aspects of whats left of this career field. The outsourced vendors are full of foriengn nationals that can't speak english. There is one A&P mechanic that signs for ten guys work because he is the only one with a license. This is about to be put a the national stage and I doubt that UPS wants to be on that stage.
Are inspection records, records of maintnence done and deferal records kept for years on aircraft? And get inspected by the FAA on a routine basis?

Would you expect out sourced work to be done by Americans that speak English?

And as it was pointed out by another poster a lot of the heavy maintence isnt done by the smaller buildings and its defered to the next site that can do the work.

ups767mech

Are inspection records, records of maintnence done and deferal records kept for years on aircraft? And get inspected by the FAA on a routine basis?

Would you expect out sourced work to be done by Americans that speak English?

And as it was pointed out by another poster a lot of the heavy maintence isnt done by the smaller buildings and its defered to the next site that can do the work.

All maintenance records are supposed to be kept for the lifetime of the aircraft

FAR's (Federal Air Regulations) state that you must be able to speak read and understand the english language to work on US registered aircraft.

Some maintenance can not be defered.

drewed

Shankman
All maintenance records are supposed to be kept for the lifetime of the aircraft

FAR's (Federal Air Regulations) state that you must be able to speak read and understand the english language to work on US registered aircraft.

Some maintenance can not be defered.

Ok, I didnt know about the ability to read speak and understand the english language was part of the FARS (thank you for enlightening me)

airupser

Speaking English is not required....
Part 65, certification of mechanics and repairman only requires it for those within the US, If outside this can be waived with an endorsement.
FAR 145.153 & 145.155
"Understand, read, and write English"
No need to speak it.
Also this only applies to supervisors and those authorized to return to service.
Many technicians in foreign facilities do not need to meet these requirements if they are only doing the work and not returning to service or supervising others..

Records........
Not all records need to be kept forever.
See FAR 121.380

How about drug and alcohol abuse?
All maintenance people in the US that perform a "Safety-Sensitive Function" must be tested.
Not so overseas!
FAR 121 Appendix I & J

Read the FAR's.......
Uncle Sam has done his part to send our jobs go overseas.

Not much is made here anymore, take a look around.

unionman

Speaking English is not required....
Part 65, certification of mechanics and repairman only requires it for those within the US, If outside this can be waived with an endorsement.
FAR 145.153 & 145.155
"Understand, read, and write English"
No need to speak it.
Also this only applies to supervisors and those authorized to return to service.
Many technicians in foreign facilities do not need to meet these requirements if they are only doing the work and not returning to service or supervising others..

Records........
Not all records need to be kept forever.
See FAR 121.380

How about drug and alcohol abuse?
All maintenance people in the US that perform a "Safety-Sensitive Function" must be tested.
Not so overseas!
FAR 121 Appendix I & J

Read the FAR's.......
Uncle Sam has done his part to send our jobs go overseas.

Not much is made here anymore, take a look around.
===========
The only thing we want is to do more of the work that these illegal aliens are doing. We only have four AMT's per aircraft, while FEDX has 7.2 and growing.

drewed

Shankman
Well....maybe work for fedex then? If its better?
Youre comparing apples to oranges in how companys are run and business models.

unionman

Well....maybe work for fedex then? If its better?
Youre comparing apples to oranges in how companys are run and business models.
I get the feeling that you say that a lot on here... I didn't say FEDX was better, I said FEDX knows how to maintain there aircraft better. Saving money on costly aircrat down time is one major advantage to better oversight. Our MD11s are broke all over the place. Do you think that saves money?

drewed

Shankman
And almost the entirety of their fleet is MD11s, ours is balanced between MDs and 767s and a few dc8s, 747s and a320s. Their MD11s break down just as much our do its logical if they ran more flights and aircraft of the problem aircraft of the airlines theyd need more mechanics.
Just because they have more mechanics doesnt mean the work quality is equal, just like most things between FEDEX and UPS, UPS tends to put out a better quality product.

unionman

And almost the entirety of their fleet is MD11s, ours is balanced between MDs and 767s and a few dc8s, 747s and a320s. Their MD11s break down just as much our do its logical if they ran more flights and aircraft of the problem aircraft of the airlines theyd need more mechanics.
Just because they have more mechanics doesnt mean the work quality is equal, just like most things between FEDEX and UPS, UPS tends to put out a better quality product.
===============
Wow, I hope you don't make decisions for our airline because you don't know what you are talking about. None of what you said is true and the sad part is that you know it.

drewed

Shankman
Are you saying UPS puts out a lower quality product?
Fedex doesnt have a lot MD11s in their fleet? Quite a few more then we do?
UPS runs MD11s and 767s mostly with 747s, A300s,(sorry I got the model wrong) DC8s and 757 (sorry forgot those) disagree with that?
And youre saying OUR MD11s are broken down all over the place, Fedex uses the same plane logic dictates that theyd have the same maintence problems we do so theyd have a need to keep more AMT then we do, maybe not 3.2 per plane more but they should have more.

Last edited:

unionman

Are you saying UPS puts out a lower quality product?
Fedex doesnt have a lot MD11s in their fleet? Quite a few more then we do?
UPS runs MD11s and 767s mostly with 747s, A300s,(sorry I got the model wrong) DC8s and 757 (sorry forgot those) disagree with that?
And youre saying OUR MD11s are broken down all over the place, Fedex uses the same plane logic dictates that theyd have the same maintence problems we do so theyd have a need to keep more AMT then we do, maybe not 3.2 per plane more but they should have more.
=================

They know something that UPS doesn't. And the way they are adding the talent that is available out there tells you that they are seeing something that we don't. Obviously FEDX is doing more of there own maintenance because the quality of the outsource vendor has deteriorated so much that it makes sense. Not everything can be outsourced. Maintenance makes sense to keep so that you can rely on the aircraft to get the high revenue packages to there destination on time. Ups does so little of there own maintenance that I don't know how they get away with it.
FEDX just built a new hangar in Memphis and they acquired the old ATA hangar in Indy. UPS has one hangar in Louisville, that's it. All maintenance is done outside, including Alaska and Rockford. They don't want to make the investment but reality is going to hit them in the long run. FEDX is positioning themselves for what is coming.
You see this career field has been thrown on its head and there are no more AMT's coming into this career field. Its dead. The average age at lets say United for an AMT is 50. At UPS, my guess would be about the same. Anybody younger than that has left the industry. Some have gone to SAA or MAE but most of those jobs are through temp agencies and there is no bennies and living on the road is not for a guy in the middle of life. Basically they rely on guys that are still in school and mexicans that can't even speak english.

Bout all I know on this subject is comparing/contrasting automotive with the plane mechs.
If my package car breaks down on the way to my first stop, I can usually coast to the curb. If one of these birds breaks down on the way......not so easy.

airbusfxr

Everyone has quit working OT and the company has started to force people to work on the broken down aircraft. I guess there might be some late aircraft in the next few months.

unionman

Heard the company offered to put 40 mechanics back to work p/t to make up for all the overtime. Thats why there was a very heated exchange in negoitiations. The union said bring back 20 friend/t.
There is so much work that needs to be done and the company refuses to get it done. The deferrals are piling up and the faa is wondering how a virtual airline works with no maintenance.