Method for pushing out drivers side mirror? How can it be done safely?

12th Man

Almost had my arm ripped off by a Ford friend-350 yesterday and it has me rethinking the safety of pulling/pushing my drivers side mirror. The truck had ladders hanging off the sides and it was too close for comfort. Whats the official method to do it safely? My arm is more valuable than a $50 mirror!

rod

Retired 22 years
Never heard of pulling in a mirror in my 30 years. Some idiot sitting at a desk must have thought that one up. VERY UNSAFE.

12th Man

It's 100% a method at my center and I cant wrap my head around it! You will be charged with an accident if a vehicle hits your mirror while stopped.

oldngray

nowhere special
It’s been a “method” for a good 8-10 years here. It’s complete bs
Longer than that. It was the flavor of the month in my center for a while and they were giving out warning letters to drivers they caught not swinging mirrors in. It mostly faded away after they moved on to the next flavor of the month.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
If you have the truck with the forward second side window, adjust the mirror bracket position all the way forward. You view using the forward glass.This way, the mirror is close to the truck and if you pull it back, it still sticks out. Any sup who questions will be baffled and give up on puling the drivers side mirror. Any movement of mirror will simply be an exercise in futility.

UiIAEAC1ByXT.jpg
0dw45zqjpt3w.png

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The only scenario where folding a mirror in could be a good idea would be in an urban area with narrow street lanes. I never had that problem since I did residentials in the suburbs for the most part.

oldngray

nowhere special
The only scenario where folding a mirror in could be a good idea would be in an urban area with narrow street lanes. I never had that problem since I did residentials in the suburbs for the most part.
We had a driver charged with an accident when he was parked in an alley and a garbage truck broke his mirror trying to go around him.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Also.... an unsafe "Extended" range of motion.

The company's own terminology.... comes back to contradict them again.

:biggrin:
Perhaps they have already, but I would think union legal representation would send the company notice asking this method be stopped due to tremendous risk of bodily harm.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I don’t remember ever folding one in, ever. Except when backing into a tight spot on the belt.