Minimum Wage

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I love to see all these protesters , none of them understand basic laws of supply & demand .
Sure they most probably will win higher wages , along with higher taxes , FICA and FICA Medicare . And some might see higher city taxes depending on local laws .
Over the long term most will only be seeing the person in front of them at the unemployment line .

wkmac

I keep hearing a number of people say we need a minimum wage and they are very sure of themselves.

At the same time I hear people opposed to a minimum wage increase, often of any kind, and yet among those who oppose, many of them advocate or would entertain the idea of returning our monetary system to some form of gold and/or silver backing.

It is in this area that a compromise might be discovered.

In 1964', the minimum wage was $1.25 per hour and could be paid in 5 silver quarters. Using the current (today) melt price of silver as $12.151 per dollar weight @ 90% silver, those same 5 quarters have a melt value of $15.18 or $15.18 per hour.

Seems to me that the 2 sides of this issue have common ground as one side is solved by the other.

;)

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Here's a new twist .

Seattle Employees Ask for Reduced Hours So That Jacked-Up Minimum Wage Won’t Cost Them Subsidized Housing

Nora Gibson is the executive director of Full Life Care, a nonprofit that serves elderly people in various homes and nursing facilities. She is also on the board of the Seattle Housing Authority.

Gibson told KIRO 7 she saw a sudden reaction from workers when Seattle’s phased minimum-wage ordinance took effect in April, bringing minimum wage to $11 an hour. She said anecdotally, some people feared they would lose their subsidized units but still not be able to afford market-rate rents.

It doesn’t stop at $11/hour. The law puts it up to $15 starting January 1, 2017.

Five employees at one of her organization’s 24-hour care facilities for Alzheimer’s patients asked to reduce their hours in order to remain eligible for subsidies.

moreluck

golden ticket member
197172.png

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Also remember MORELUCK, that the us military is the LARGEST SOCIAL PROGRAM in our country.

Much like welfare, free housing, free food, free education and a job.

A social program designed to employ the unemployed.

Some pay with their lives.

TOS.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Let's not forget the perks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Military personnel admittedly do not earn fabulous salaries. But then the money is not why anyone joins - if you are after money, go somewhere else!

That said, military members are rewarded with substantial tangible and intangible benefits. Here are just a few:

• Educational Benefits - GI Bill, Tuition Assistance, Servicemember Opportunity Colleges, Education on Duty, etc.
  • Advanced Technical and Specialty Training
  • Cash Bonuses
  • Tax-Free Housing & Food Allowances, or Free Room & Board
  • 30 Days of Vacation per Year
  • Space A Travel - Free flights between bases
  • Substantial discounts and deals throughout the private sector (link to Deals center)
  • The pride and honor of serving your country
  • World travel
  • Health & Dental Care for you and your family
  • Special deals on Home Loans (VA Loans link)
  • Being part of a larger family with a proud history - the military tradition
  • Pension

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Are you really this ignorant?

No Dave, just keeping it real. The US Military is the largest social program our government has to offer. Yes, it comes with some dignity by serving the country, but the FREE perks paid for by the US taxpayers, is no different than welfare, wic or food stamps.

In addition, 25% of our men and women in the military are currently ON WELFARE.

Making them even more dependent on the government to survive.

Get a grip dave.

TOS.

newfie

Also remember MORELUCK, that the us military is the LARGEST SOCIAL PROGRAM in our country.

Much like welfare, free housing, free food, free education and a job.

A social program designed to employ the unemployed.

Some pay with their lives.

TOS.

hmm other side hates the military. Sad

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
hmm other side hates the military. Sad

No, on the contrary, I believe our military men and women are the largest exploited workforce in this country. Used by politicians for wars and then abused and ignored to the point where they are killing themselves at a rate of two a day.

This country's largest social program doesnt go FAR ENOUGH to compensate our men and women who come from the poorest of the poor to defend this country while you keyboard warriors sit on your ashes and talk crap.

You all pretend like you give a crap about our vets and our military, but none of you grasp the inequality of the pay they recieve for what they have to do.

Spare me your phoney concern.

Let me hear you call or demand a living wage for our military men and women and I might earn a spot of respect for you.

Until then, I'll keep it real and call it like i see it.

TOS.

PT Car Washer

When I was deployed 10 years ago I was making $1000 a week tax free as an E 6 over 20 years. Only things I had to pay for were my personal items and whatever luxury things. Like a hamburger at the camp Burger King or a DVD or magazine. A lot of guys came home and bought new cars or motorcycles with their savings.

newfie

No, on the contrary, I believe our military men and women are the largest exploited workforce in this country. Used by politicians for wars and then abused and ignored to the point where they are killing themselves at a rate of two a day.

This country's largest social program doesnt go FAR ENOUGH to compensate our men and women who come from the poorest of the poor to defend this country while you keyboard warriors sit on your ashes and talk crap.

You all pretend like you give a crap about our vets and our military, but none of you grasp the inequality of the pay they recieve for what they have to do.

Spare me your phoney concern.

Let me hear you call or demand a living wage for our military men and women and I might earn a spot of respect for you.

Until then, I'll keep it real and call it like i see it.

TOS.

oh ok so now you're their best friend .