Misloads and The Policy

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
If I deliver missort from another driver's EDD, it disappears off his list. The tracking number shows delivered, so it doesn't show up anywhere unless we text it in as a miss. At least thats my understanding of the system. A lot of drivers just call in on their cellphones or call the driver next to them and handle them, so there is no record of them.I am not aware of a report that shows packages on one driver's EDD and being delivered by someone else. I would imagine that most service failures are covered up, its worse than it appears.

The new thing in my Center is to never record a package as damaged, its recorded as refused by the customer or missed if I don't make an attempt on an obvious damaged. This seems dishonest to me, a damaged package is a damaged package. So much for honesty and showing visibility to a customer tracking it.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
If I deliver missort from another driver's EDD, it disappears off his list. The tracking number shows delivered, so it doesn't show up anywhere unless we text it in as a miss. At least thats my understanding of the system. A lot of drivers just call in on their cellphones or call the driver next to them and handle them, so there is no record of them.I am not aware of a report that shows packages on one driver's EDD and being delivered by someone else. I would imagine that most service failures are covered up, its worse than it appears.

The new thing in my Center is to never record a package as damaged, its recorded as refused by the customer or missed if I don't make an attempt on an obvious damaged. This seems dishonest to me, a damaged package is a damaged package. So much for honesty and showing visibility to a customer tracking it.
I have also seen damaged packages rts to the shipper with the words "service disruption occured" even though it was clearly a damaged package...scratch is right this is walking on the fence.....

IEpuke

Just a couple of things, no ups employee can carry packages in a personal vehicle. Even with a temporary DOT placard! Liberty Mutual only covers part time air drivers to use their personal vehicles, after all PC's are exhausted. If you are a preload sup running misloads and get into an accident you will find yourself liable for any and all damages if your insurance company finds out. Check your personal policy. UPS will not cover you!!!! Even if directed by your manager. Second, in my experience the way to fix misloads is to track each and every one and hold the people accountable. However, never use "misload" as the reason for the progressive discipline. Go after the method the person was not following that caused the misload. My predecessor spent 4 hours a day running misloads. I spent 1 hour before the sort figuring out who had the misloads and accurately recording who had them. We went from 15 to 20 misloads a day to 3 or 4. The key is you can't be wrong, preloaders talk with their drivers, if you assign a misload to a preloader and they figure out that it was an out of sync your credibility goes out the window.....Hope this helps.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Somewhere in the back of my mind I recall this... The DIAD misload screen asks if you can deliver it or not?? Is that true.

If a missort is shuttled to you, then it was either a left in building package or a misload on someone else's car. If that person recorded it as a misload, it will still be counted. Somehow, I remember that being the procedure.

People are looking at the number of misloads drivers record. I want drivers to record all misloads so its visible....

A driver has no way of sheeting a pkg as a misload. You either sheet as missed or deliver it or get it to someone else. Like Scratch says, if it gets delivered by someone eventually, or at least sheeted by someone (Clo, NI etc.) than it doesn't show as a misload. Now if every driver would send the message on the DIAD misload screen there would be a more accurate count of the total. Maybe we should. I like my loader and would prefer to take care of the ones I can without alerting the center. He's human.

pretzel_man

A driver has no way of sheeting a pkg as a misload. You either sheet as missed or deliver it or get it to someone else. Like Scratch says, if it gets delivered by someone eventually, or at least sheeted by someone (Clo, NI etc.) than it doesn't show as a misload. Now if every driver would send the message on the DIAD misload screen there would be a more accurate count of the total. Maybe we should. I like my loader and would prefer to take care of the ones I can without alerting the center. He's human.

Monster, I am not positive but I do not believe you are accurate. If you go into the misload screen in the DIAD, doesn't it ask you if you can deliver it or not?

Either way, it sheets it as a misload. It also takes it off of the other driver's EDD. If you deliver it, it is still a misload.

I think this is correct?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Monster, I am not positive but I do not believe you are accurate. If you go into the misload screen in the DIAD, doesn't it ask you if you can deliver it or not?

Either way, it sheets it as a misload. It also takes it off of the other driver's EDD. If you deliver it, it is still a misload.

I think this is correct?
That is correct. And if you do end up delivering it or sheeting it missed after sending the misload communication, you should also record it as a misload/misroute in the package precomm screen.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think this is correct?

This is correct. If I have a misload that I can either deliver or leave for the driver to pickup and deliver I will indicate that on the screen. If it is one that I cannot deliver I will indicate that and then let them know where I will leave it for them to pickup and shuttle.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Monster, I am not positive but I do not believe you are accurate. If you go into the mis-load screen in the DIAD, doesn't it ask you if you can deliver it or not?

Either way, it sheets it as a mis-load. It also takes it off of the other driver's EDD. If you deliver it, it is still a mis-load.

I think this is correct?

Seems to me that there should be no need to manually sheet it as a mis-load. If it loaded on route A and scanned by the driver on route A, but it's listed in EDD as a package for delivery in route B,C,D, or any other it's obviously a mis-load?????

Do they really want to know, or is reporting mis-loads one of the don't ask don't tell items?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Seems to me that there should be no need to manually sheet it as a mis-load. If it loaded on route A and scanned by the driver on route A, but it's listed in EDD as a package for delivery in route B,C,D, or any other it's obviously a mis-load?????

Do they really want to know, or is reporting mis-loads one of the don't ask don't tell items?

I will give you an example from my area. My loader loads 3 package cars, one in the city (mine) and 2 for a town 1 hour away. As you can guess there is where 99.44% of the misloads occur. The way that I read your post you are saying that if I (driver A) simply scans the misload for driver B then it would then drop out of his EDD. This is true but I would have to force the delivery address in to my EDD and then select a reason for the non-delivery, with misload not being an option. By choosing the misload communication screen (6-3-4), I scan the package and select Y/N if I can deliver it or not. I use the space below to let them know where I will leave the misload so that it can be picked up and delivered. The pkg then drops out of driver B's EDD which saves him from having to search for it.

I will tell you that unfortunately service is not always made on these misloads.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I think what Pretzel is asking is will a package automatically show up on the center report as a misload when you send it thru the DIAD or is this just a means of communication. If 50 packages a day are being shuttled around are 50 packages showing on a report as misloads or are just pkgs that don't make service? If all 50 show up as misloads it would send a message up top that there is a problem. If they are all delivered and don't show on a report than Atlanta thinks things are great and nothing gets fixed. We've been on the system for 4 years and nothing has changed. Flips, bad pals, out of seq, and just plain unexplained errors. Add the miles Supes put on to the center numbers and the savings don't look so great. Sorry for the novel.

pretzel_man

What you point out does happen. There is a report for every package delivered by a different driver than EDD had.

However, here are things that happen.....

A supervisor tells a preloader to pull a section off the 10A route and move to the 10B route. He informs both driver of the last minute cut, but doesn't put it in DMS. Not really a misload but delivered by a different driver.

Similar case. Drivers look at their air and swap some packages (assume with management's consent). They don't put it in DMS nor do they do a DIAD to DIAD transfer. Again, not really a misload.

So, right or wrong, unless a driver sheets a misload it doesn't show up on a misload report.

DS

Fenderbender
Somewhere in the back of my mind I recall this... The DIAD misload screen asks if you can deliver it or not?? Is that true.

If a missort is shuttled to you, then it was either a left in building package or a misload on someone else's car. If that person recorded it as a misload, it will still be counted. Somehow, I remember that being the procedure.

People are looking at the number of misloads drivers record. I want drivers to record all misloads so its visible....

Yes Pretz,it does ask you.The very first day this option was available in the diad,I used it and said no to the question as it was way out of area.The next day I was told expressly to "NOT" use this anymore and to call in misloads by phone.
9 times out of 10,this is the message I receive back.
P101006002.jpg

DS

Fenderbender
Obviously, DSs center team is trying to hide something.
Maybe,but chances are we are just not up to scratch with the new technology.We don't have EDD or Pas.
My diad does not beep at me if I try to deliver a pkg to a bad address.
The option is there to "get EDD" but it's not available.

UPSSOCKS

I have been paid on multiple ocasions for supervisors shuttling missloads. That is hourly work and should be treated as such. If your reading this and see a sup shuttling misloads file for the time(Sup working is double time).

I agree but if someone filed for me shuttling misloads, I would treat every midload after as a fireable offense. I would sit people that misload down every day until the grievances stop. For every four grievances someone would lose their job.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have never seen our sup chasing misloads. Usually, we chase our own or they get sheeted as missed.

You only record it in the DIAD if you deliver it or sheet it as missed. If someone comes and gets it or you drop it off for someone it shows up as a delivered package. We could have 50 misloads in a day but if they all get shuttled to where they belong it shows up as none. A supervisor should have more important things to do then chase misloads all day. Like I said in another thread, a part time office girl can chase misloads.
And that would be wrong. We have drivers that don't bother reporting them, but they should. We are to report every misload, no matter what the final out come is.

Out of curiousity, do you report both of those missorts in the DIAD?

When I look at missorts, I see few reported in the DIAD.
I report every single misload.