My local is stealing from the poor

packageguy

best words ever spoken by upstate!!!!! These ppl on here just dont get it... They forget where they came from!! Its common sense fellow truck drivers!!!

You say I don't get, I got it. What are we to do, It's a union shop, union shop pays dues. Take your fight to your union hall see what they do for you. It is what it is, tjey don't like it they leave.

article22

Banned
you say i don't get, i got it. What are we to do, it's a union shop, union shop pays dues. Take your fight to your union hall see what they do for you. It is what it is, tjey don't like it they leave.

if everyone had an attitude like you we would end up like hostess/wonder with no job and a bankrupt company!!!

menotyou

bella amicizia
In the local that Upstate and I belong to, they don't start taking funds until you reach seniority. Therefore, seasonal helpers pay nothing.

packageguy

in my hub not only is nooooooone given a job but ups haS the balls to call you Next year and ASK U TO do it again!! we have some "bus riders" that are making their 4th and 5th peak back!! thats just dumb!!! I CAN PICK UP TIN CANS AND MAKE MORE THAN WHAT THEY GET AT BROWN!

Yes, your right we have about 8 people every year they want to be helpers there okay with that, they drive a bus till 3pm then they meet a driver about 3:30 we also have house wifes that driver meet on there route and are helpers every year and deliver packages. mostly the same each year

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
They are seasonal employees with virtually no chance of being retained after Peak. They are basically disposable to be used and discarded. How in the world is it fair that they be asked to pay both an Initiation Fee and monthly dues? Now, if they are hired on after Peak, then by all means collect dues for the time spent working during Peak, but to basically gouge these "employees" is blatantly unfair and revoking this should not require a motion at a meeting but should be common sense.

We have a hard enough time in my center getting people to apply for the job---I can't imagine how hard it would be if we then asked them to pay an Initiation Fee and union dues for union protection which they will never need or use.

Just because something has been around for 100 years does not necessarily make it right.

Then do something about it.
Once again, you are the union and are guilty of what you are complaining about unless you make an effort to rectify it.
As I already stated, my local will refund all dues if any employee separates with the company with less than 30 days worked.
This gives an employee approximately 6 weeks.
This is part of our local bylaws and applies to all new hires, not just helpers.
I believe this a fair resolution and was not always this way.
Research how to propose a bylaw amendment in your local and be part of the solution, rather than the problem.

menotyou

bella amicizia
In the local that Upstate and I belong to, they don't start taking funds until you reach seniority. Therefore, seasonal helpers pay nothing.

Then do something about it.
Once again, you are the union and are guilty of what you are complaining about unless you make an effort to rectify it.
As I already stated, my local will refund all dues if any employee separates with the company with less than 30 days worked.
This gives an employee approximately 6 weeks.
This is part of our local bylaws and applies to all new hires, not just helpers.
I believe this a fair resolution and was not always this way.
Research how to propose a bylaw amendment in your local and be part of the solution, rather than the problem.

packageguy

in my hub not only is nooooooone given a job but ups haS the balls to call you Next year and ASK U TO do it again!! we have some "bus riders" that are making their 4th and 5th peak back!! thats just dumb!!! I CAN PICK UP TIN CANS AND MAKE MORE THAN WHAT THEY GET AT BROWN!

Some people don't want to pick up cans, they take a shot at a full time job,

menotyou

bella amicizia
You say I don't get, I got it. What are we to do, It's a union shop, union shop pays dues. Take your fight to your union hall see what they do for you. It is what it is, tjey don't like it they leave.
Well, it's easy for Upstate to stir the pot, considering our local doesn't take until you have reached seniority.

packageguy

I WILL GIVE YOU AN EXAMPLE, last weeks storm we had people come in for helper jobs when they found out what the pay was they left, walked right out. No hard feelings but yet we have the same people each year be helpers they call our center or ask us packages cars for the number. They look forward to it.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Why isn't the OP mad about what the inside help is paid or what the helpers pay is? Why is he mad about something he could actually change?

packageguy

Why isn't the OP mad about what the inside help is paid or what the helpers pay is? Why is he mad about something he could actually change?

Very good question, maybe he too wants to stir the pot....
My loader breaks his ass every day, I take care of him a few times a year.

Nimnim

The Nim
So, what kinda stuff does a seasonal worker get from the union anyways?

Nothing. It's like being forced to pay a months insurance premium on a car you're renting for 2 days.

And there's a point.

I don't have a problem with people who are "permanent" hires having to pay unions dues, I'm in a RTW state and I think the union should work to get people to join but that's not the point right now.

If someone is a seasonal worker, has almost no chance to be "permanent" and gets virtually nothing from the union because they haven't and won't attain seniority, why should they pay union fees?

I could spend 10 minutes and get tons of posts here from the forums about legitimate complaints, but because the person who started the thread says they haven't worked 30, or whatever is seniority in your region, or is seasonal the answers come out to things like "tough luck" and "don't rock the boat."

I'm not against the union, but people who will not benefit in any way, why should they contribute to the union? If we had something in the contract where it explicitly says season employees are covered and provided the same contractual benefits of the "permanent" workers then there is no reason why they shouldn't pay dues. Maybe give a pass on initiation fees until they're "permanent", but the field is not level and I just can't see why seasonal workers should pay fees much less initiation fees.

article22

Banned
some people don't want to pick up cans, they take a shot at a full time job,

these poor ppl have not even a chance at a part time job after peak let alone a ft job!! Picking up cans all year would be a lot better than a month or two or 8.50 an hour for 3 hours a day (minus bus fare taxes bs union iniation fees/dues)

menotyou

bella amicizia
Then, why doesn't UPS step up to the plate and do something about it?? I don't understand this.

To the OP, instead of armchair quarterbacking, get off your keister go to a meeting and change the by-laws.

OMG, the union is sooooo horrible.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Wow at this thread.

People, all seasonal hires are well aware the money is going to be withdrawn. JMO it's no different than finding a union job and then complaining about closed shop. Is the job seeker allowed to complain when dues are being taken out, or were they hired/begin working by choice and not force?

It's not stealing. Stealing is taking something against someone will. It's silly to suggest otherwise.

article22

Banned
Open your eyes sleeve !!!! Its def stealing!! Some locals are doing it and some are not.. The seasonal hires find out when they open their check on thursday!! Every year my helper gets his check and says "whats this $25 iniation fee? They didnt tell us about this."

wow at this thread.

People, all seasonal hires are well aware the money is going to be withdrawn. Jmo it's no different than finding a union job and then complaining about closed shop. Is the job seeker allowed to complain when dues are being taken out, or were they hired/begin working by choice and not force?

It's not stealing. Stealing is taking something against someone will. It's silly to suggest otherwise.