Never seen an employer like Costco respond to a union vote like this before. Thoughts?

Over70irregs

1704435102163.png

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Costco locations across the country are organizing at a rate second only to Starbucks.

So why should we believe this letter to be genuine.

Stock market driven, Fortune 500 companies like Costco aren't interested in the things mentioned in this letter, rather quarterly dividends and increasing profit margins, which are realized on the backs of frontline workers.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Costco locations across the country are organizing at a rate second only to Starbucks.

So why should we believe this letter to be genuine.

Stock market driven, Fortune 500 companies like Costco aren't interested in the things mentioned in this letter, rather quarterly dividends and increasing profit margins, which are realized on the backs of frontline workers.

Some companies like Walmart and Amazon keep the union out with insane turnover and brainwashing. Other companies do it by treating the workers half-decent so they don’t think they need a union. The end goal is the same though. Pay us less

oldngray

nowhere special
Some companies like Walmart and Amazon keep the union out with insane turnover and brainwashing. Other companies do it by treating the workers half-decent so they don’t think they need a union. The end goal is the same though. Pay us less
I wouldn't praise Costco but I would still put it far above Walmart.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I don't believe Costco is anti union. Years ago they sent a representative to one of my locals General Membership meetings. They gave out a free years membership to anyone in attendance who wanted one.

rod

Retired 22 years
I've always said from day one if a company treats their employes fairly and pays a living wage with a few benefits there is no need for a Union. I know several Costco employees and have never heard any of them complain about working conditions.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I've always said from day one if a company treats their employes fairly and pays a living wage with a few benefits there is no need for a Union. I know several Costco employees and have never heard any of them complain about working conditions.
Some outfits seem to need an union, like FedEx, Walmart, but folk there do not seem interested?

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Never trust management. It's all psychological. They are not you're friend.

I always hated working places where the pay was garbage but they were always going on about being “part of the team” or a “work family” 🤮

That’s why I like UPS. Everybody hates each other and openly expresses their contempt.

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
I delivered to a guy that told me about a small company he worked for (can‘t remember the name) he said union talk started so the owner got the employees together and told them… I hear there is talk about unionizing here, so I’m going to close this place down for the next 2 weeks so you can see how it is without a pay check and then when we get back together you can let me know if you want me to open up the business again or want to unionize. That was the last of that talk.

542thruNthru

I delivered to a guy that told me about a small company he worked for (can‘t remember the name) he said union talk started so the owner got the employees together and told them… I hear there is talk about unionizing here, so I’m going to close this place down for the next 2 weeks so you can see how it is without a pay check and then when we get back together you can let me know if you want me to open up the business again or want to unionize. That was the last of that talk.
That sounds illegal... though I'm not positive.

I also think the guy was blowing smoke up your ass.

twotwofour

who is John Galt?

Commercial Inside Release

Employees can file unemployment under that scenario, but don't underestimate the arrogance of some employers in right to work states. I've seen owners shut down restaurants in an effort to punish the community, because they can't find enough employees to work for their poverty wages. Restaurant is popular, but they want to treat employees like they have no green card, or are on parole.

An owner like that will show up to an unemployment hearing, and attempt to disqualify the former employee's claim (by any means necessary.)

rod

Retired 22 years
I can think of two bigger business in town who threatened to move out of state if the employees voted to join a Union. Neither one of them lasted another 5 years.