New DOT Regulations

Johney

So my question is, being that my building is bonus, is the draw to making numbers so strong that the management is willing to turn a blind eye to this. We have heard nothing? A lot of the runners and gunners skip lunch and are off the clock under 8, but this does not include the hour to 1.5 hour sorting and fingering their loads in the AM for free.

It amazes me and see a train wreck coming.
Good question. I have heard of some guys still putting 1200-1300 for lunch and not taking it and getting in super early.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Why is this even an issue?!!?? Lunch is to be taken between the 3rd and 5th hour, as per contract. You fight for a lunch hour and get it only to throw it back in the company's face (and lose money), you deserve to be penalized.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
The Central Region has said 3RD and 6TH hour for as long as I can remember. But that has never stopped the masses from ignoring it. So why all of the pressure now, if not because of the new rules? UPS has decided to start obeying the contract all of the sudden. All I'm saying is that FMSCA official doesn't sound like he knows his own rules--which shouldn't be a real big surprise. Everything I've read, been told and seen says package car drivers are included with feeder drivers.

Dracula

I wonder if the two consecutive 1-5 a.m.'s are going to affect feeder drivers.

Mainly variable cover drivers that pick different jobs every week. Example, if a VC driver picked a Mon-Fri night job one week, and either worked through, or into the Sat. 1-5AM period, he/she would no longer be able to pick a Sun-Thu job, because the driver will only be off for one of those periods,

bluehdmc

Mainly variable cover drivers that pick different jobs every week. Example, if a VC driver picked a Mon-Fri night job one week, and either worked through, or into the Sat. 1-5AM period, he/she would no longer be able to pick a Sun-Thu job, because the driver will only be off for one of those periods,

He/she could still pick a Sun-Thurs job, they just wouldn't reset. Then they would have to keep going back over the previous 7 days to see how many hours they had available. The IVIS actually can do it for you, just go into the DOT log and scroll down to the "summary" page. This tells you how many hour worked the last 7 days, the last 6 days, and how many hours available that day.
In the above example going form a Tues-Sat job to a Sun-Thurs, if they maxed out their hours they couldn't work Sun or Mon, if they only worked 40hrs Tues-Sat they would have 20hrs available Sunday and Monday, then on Tues the 8 hours they worked the previous Tues would fall off. On Wed another 8 would fall off, etc. If they worked 50 hrs Tues-Sat, they would have 10 available Sunday, and could not work Monday. Or depending on what time they finished Sat if they did not have hours available Sunday, if they had the 34hrs and two 1-5 am hrs off they would reset Sunday, this would all depend on the start time Monday.
If you violate the DOT rules and get a letter from the company, (or fine from the DOT) you learn how to figure your hour out real well. dahik.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

You are still thinking in "terms" of being a feeder driver.

Everything I've read, been told and seen says package car drivers are included with feeder drivers.

That information is coming from the company.... right?

It's like the fallacy.... That every driver has to be able to regurgitate the safety BS and DOK....

I mean.... Everyone knows.... there is a National Grievance Decision.... And it is voluntary.

It's not a "condition of employment"......... But you know that, right?

​-Bug-

kingOFchester

It's like the fallacy.... That every driver has to be able to regurgitate the safety BS and DOK....

I mean.... Everyone knows.... there is a National Grievance Decision.... And it is voluntary.

​-Bug-

Brother,

I quoted from fmcsa website. I posted the link. I think it proves that we, package, are required to take 30 in 8. Very simple.

Why would UPS be pushing for us to actually take a break, when it is in their financial interest to have drivers put an unpaid lunch in their boards, but yet continue to work?

I have provided the wording from fmcsa to substantiate my argument. Can you provide something of substance to back your argument?

As far as DOT is concerned as long as they don't work longer then 8.

If they are entering a lunch but not taking it then they are working and therefore it does not count towards the 30 min break by the 8th hour. Guys will do this until someone gets caught and the Feds will have the company enforcing lunches or paying fines. Simple as that.

UPSGUY72

What do you think about the new DOT regulation on a 30 minute break before 8 hrs of work? Any idea if this will stay or not?

It not before 8 hrs of work. It's you can't work more than 8 hrs with out taking a 30 minute brake. That big one that long haul truckers are complaining about is the 34 hr reset witch must include two period from 1 to 5 am.

Since July 1 I have seen a lot more Semi's on the the turnpike on my way to and from work....

Dracula

​-Bug-

Neither is the 60 hour maximum, but violate that then you are dealing with the DOT, and not a grievance panel.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
As far as DOT is concerned as long as they don't work longer then 8.

If they are entering a lunch but not taking it then they are working and therefore it does not count towards the 30 min break by the 8th hour. Guys will do this until someone gets caught and the Feds will have the company enforcing lunches or paying fines. Simple as that.

What KOC is saying is if they put in an hour work through it but get off at 7:59 worked. It doesn't matter if they actually took 30 minutes or not.

All package car drivers are required to take a 30 minute lunch in their first eight hours. Actually before the 7:30 mark. We have an employee who is terminated in my local right now for this kind of violation. Also a driver in Kentucky was given a ticket for not adhering to this new LAW.

What KOC is saying is if they put in an hour work through it but get off at 7:59 worked. It doesn't matter if they actually took 30 minutes or not.

If they work 7.59 without putting a lunch in and working through it then yes it's within the guidelines. Entering a break/ lunch and working through it will be looked at as falsifying your "book" and that would be dealt with more severely than just violating the lunch rule.

kingOFchester

If they work 7.59 without putting a lunch in and working through it then yes it's within the guidelines. Entering a break/ lunch and working through it will be looked at as falsifying your "book" and that would be dealt with more severely than just violating the lunch rule.

This is true. The HOS regulation spelled out by the FMCSA states that all though we (package car) do not need to keep a log book, the company is expected to keep accurate time logs for our work. If we are falsifying what we put in the DIAD then obviously the company is not keeping accurate time records. They can claim dumb, but they would look even more stupid for managing drivers and not realizing that they are falsifying records. Probably the most basic part of a supervisor job, in any labor intensive businesses, is verifying time worked. You compound that with all the technology UPS has implemented that clearly shows work being done when clocked out, and they would not have a foot to stand on if FMCSA started to look into hours worked in the bonus centers.

I just don't get it. It's just a thirty minute lunch what's the big deal?? Take it. The sense of entitlement makes me sick. People so entitled that the will break the law and falsify a timecard just so they don't have to take a lunch. How stupid does this sound??????