new driver with dwi

barnyard

KTM rider
do you buy your KTM stuff at Johnsons new place?

I have not been there yet. They put on the county fair MX races this past summer.

Larson's in Cambridge used to be 'my' dealer. There is a chick at the parts counter that has blown a couple of my orders, including 1 that took 6ish weeks to resolve. No apology, nothing. It was all my fault for not calling when the right people were in. friend that. After she is fired, I might, try them again. Then again, might not.

I've been ordering from Munn Racing in Tx and Cycle Hutt in ND. I have relatives in Wisconsin and have been to Uke's Dirt Store a few times also.

Shockingly, the best service that I have had lately is with my Buell. Not only have they bent over backwards to take care of my Buell, but the service manager used to race enduros and work at Larson's. He's been clueing me in as to what EOM Honda parts work on my KTMs.

Everything I replaced this year, I used Honda parts.

TB

Last edited:

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
I have not been there yet. They put on the county fair MX races this past summer.

Larson's in Cambridge used to be 'my' dealer. There is a chick at the parts counter that has blown a couple of my orders, including 1 that took 6ish weeks to resolve. No apology, nothing. It was all my fault for not calling when the right people were in. friend that. After she is fired, I might, try them again. Then again, might not.

I've been ordering from Munn Racing in Tx and Cycle Hutt in ND. I have relatives in Wisconsin and have been to Uke's Dirt Store a few times also.

Shockingly, the best service that I have had lately is with my Buell. Not only have they bent over backwards to take care of my Buell, but the service manager used to race enduros and work at Larson's. He's been clueing me in as to what EOM Honda parts work on my KTMs.

Everything I replaced this year, I used Honda parts.

TB

Speak english please.

browniehound

If your B.A.C (Breath or Blood alcohol content) was at or above .08, then you were considered legally drunk and charged with a DWI. It is important to realize that even if your B.A.C was below this limit you can still be arrested for DWI, if an officer deems your driving ability is impaired.

I have a problem with our fate being determined by a police officer that has never met me before. If i'm under .08 I should not be charged. How did the cop become judge, jury and executioner in this area of law???

My opinion is .08 is hardly impaired. I think it amounts to one drink for a woman and 2 for a man. If this is the case, everyone leaving dinner at their favorite resturaunt is impaired if they have more than one glass off wine.

Also, I speak from recent expeirience here, everybody leaving the nightclubs and pubs at 2 A.M. are legally drunk. Some people are ok to drive, and most are not.

How does our society allow these buildings to operate when everyone knows that the patrons who leave are legally intoxicated?

I'm serious. The state will let bars operated until 2 A.M. in Mass. but expects all the patrons to be sober? This is nuts?

I do believe that there are people who can drive safely at 2 A.M. I will say that even though I think they can drive safely at 2 AM they have a blood-alcohol content of over .08. Lets be realistic here. 95% of the bar is over the limit!

Just like the poster said that the officer can say you are drunk and you blow under the legal limit, I can blow over the legal limit and still be OK to drive.

Why not just arrest everyone leaving the bar who drives? Most of them are guilty of the plus .08.

I've leared though its always sombody 2-3 times the limit who hurts somebody and they are always driving over the speed-limit. This is where people get killed.

It rarely happens that someone with a .09 BAC and drives the speed limit that hurts anyone.

I'm just throwing it out there. I hate drunk drivers, but every local police department allows it every single weekend in every city in Massachusetts.

For myself, I can drive after 3 beers. At my weight I would be over .08. I can drive after 6 beers. I can have 8 beers and drive safely at 2 AM. There is nobody on the road and I don't speed. I would be arrested if I blew the breathalizer, but would never be a threat on the road. Its the idiots who get leg-less and speed like maniacs that cause accidents.

I never hear of the person doing 30 MPH (which is what I drive) and killing someone.

I can go on, but I think you can get the gist of my thoughts.

8 beers is probably too many for me, but 4-7 is not over 3 hours when I eat. I would be legally drunk but am not a danger on the road and could pass the field-sobriety test blind-folded, lol.

I look forward to any replies!

barnyard

KTM rider
Speak english please.

KTM = dirtbikes (they do make road bikes, but dirt bikes are their big business, Ready to Race it their tm) I have a 250exc and my daughter races a 200xcw.

The dealer's that I am referring to are all KTM dealer's. Johnsons is referring to Race FreeX (I think that is right, might be Dirt FreeX pronounced 'freaks'). They have a dirt only shop just south of Brainerd. Incredibly craptacular time to try and open a dirt only motorcycle shop. They do a ton of mail order, so hopefully, they will survive the downturn.

Larson's is a multi-line motorcycle, snowmobile, kwadtard dealer in Cambridge, Mn. They have been around for years and years. The chick at the parts counter has a really bad attitude. The chick at the service counter is fabulous and probably the only reason why I have ever gone back there.

Buell is a street bike company that is partially owned be Harley-Davidson. Buell uses modded Sportster motors in racebike frames. They are kind of the red-headed step child at HD dealers. Some dealers do Buell well, some not so much. Uke's is a Buell/HD/KTM dealer in Kenosha, Wi. If I lived closer, they would be 'my' dealer for everything.

The beauty part is that all the dealers that I mentioned are also UPS daily pick up accounts.

Way to stay on topic, eh.

TB

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I have a problem with our fate being determined by a police officer that has never met me before. If i'm under .08 I should not be charged. How did the cop become judge, jury and executioner in this area of law???

My opinion is .08 is hardly impaired. I think it amounts to one drink for a woman and 2 for a man. If this is the case, everyone leaving dinner at their favorite resturaunt is impaired if they have more than one glass off wine.

Also, I speak from recent expeirience here, everybody leaving the nightclubs and pubs at 2 A.M. are legally drunk. Some people are ok to drive, and most are not.

How does our society allow these buildings to operate when everyone knows that the patrons who leave are legally intoxicated?

I'm serious. The state will let bars operated until 2 A.M. in Mass. but expects all the patrons to be sober? This is nuts?

I do believe that there are people who can drive safely at 2 A.M. I will say that even though I think they can drive safely at 2 AM they have a blood-alcohol content of over .08. Lets be realistic here. 95% of the bar is over the limit!

Just like the poster said that the officer can say you are drunk and you blow under the legal limit, I can blow over the legal limit and still be OK to drive.

Why not just arrest everyone leaving the bar who drives? Most of them are guilty of the plus .08.

I've leared though its always sombody 2-3 times the limit who hurts somebody and they are always driving over the speed-limit. This is where people get killed.

It rarely happens that someone with a .09 BAC and drives the speed limit that hurts anyone.

I'm just throwing it out there. I hate drunk drivers, but every local police department allows it every single weekend in every city in Massachusetts.

For myself, I can drive after 3 beers. At my weight I would be over .08. I can drive after 6 beers. I can have 8 beers and drive safely at 2 AM. There is nobody on the road and I don't speed. I would be arrested if I blew the breathalizer, but would never be a threat on the road. Its the idiots who get leg-less and speed like maniacs that cause accidents.

I never hear of the person doing 30 MPH (which is what I drive) and killing someone.

I can go on, but I think you can get the gist of my thoughts.

8 beers is probably too many for me, but 4-7 is not over 3 hours when I eat. I would be legally drunk but am not a danger on the road and could pass the field-sobriety test blind-folded, lol.

I look forward to any replies!

• At .08, all drivers are impaired to the point that critical driving skills are greatly diminished. Studies indicate that at a .08 BAC level, a driver's steering, braking, speed control, lane changing, gear changing and judgments of speed and distance are all significantly impaired.
  • To reach .08, a 170-lb. male would have to consume four or more drinks in a one-hour period on an empty stomach. A 137-lb. female would have to consume three drinks in one hour to reach .08. A drink is considered a 12-oz beer, a 5-oz. glass of wine or a cocktail containing 1.5 ounces of 80-proof liquor.
  • At .08, a driver is three times more likely to be involved in a car crash than a sober driver, and 11 times more likely to be killed in a single-vehicle crash.
  • Skeptics of .08 laws suggest that repeat offenders are the “real” problem with regard to drunk driving. However, about 80 percent of alcohol-related crash fatalities are caused by drivers with no arrests for drunk driving during the previous three years.
How many of those first time killers were just like you, thinking that they were fine to drive at 2 AM with 8 beers in them, just because they had done it before an gotten away with it. I hope they put you in jail before you kill someone.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Browniehound, I agree totally with what you say. The new laws at .08 killed the bar down the street from us. No one had an incident and if anyone got drunk, a sober person took him/her home. It was our fellowship hall. I hate drunk drivers also, but no one can enjoy a drink at dinner, without being at risk of having their life ruined. You have a marker light out, they see you leave a bar, you are toast. You get punished worse than a child molestor and for longer. Everybody makes money, lawyers, insurance companies, alcohol prevention programs, the city or town that "got" you. So I dont do it, but I miss it. I miss the comraderie.
Think back to the olden days. The men gathered at the beer gardens after work for a couple and went home. Left the stress of the day behind. Had a short time to unwind. I look at it as another right taken away because of a few habitual drunks.
But I live with it, I married a non-drinker:greedy:

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
lemme give you some first hand knowledge on how ups looks at the situation.

1, you get pulled over and do a bac of .09. they take your license and issue you a temp.

my dear friends, that is a serious issue with your license. you no longer have a drivers license, you have a restricted driving permit. your license has been revoked. and that is what they have the right to know. trying to hide behind the convicted/not had my day in court game will get you the fast track out of work.

boy, no wonder you cant figure out if you are a full time driver or part time. and have 6 kids to feed and no money coming in.

and i guess that sitting in front of the computer gives you all the real world knowledge you are blessing each of us with?

so you are telling me that you would not notify your sup that 1, you had a bac of .09 and you are now on a temp permit, 2 you expect your rights under the contract to be preserved when you intentionally refused to notify management of your loss of a regular license?

kid, you are the type of poster that gives discussions like this a bad name.

the driver did the right thing. he will keep his job at ups as long as he keeps his nose clean. you on the other hand will get him fired for dishonesty when you try and argue the "finer points" of legally convicted.

in 2004 had drivers play it both ways, only one is still with ups. can you figure out which?

d

Unanswerable.

You are citing laws that are not the same as we have here. I would 100% comply with law & contract as it applies here, as I've said throughout this thread.

Here, if you get pulled over for a DWI, they do not take your license away until you are found guilty in court. Not a temp license, not a driver permit, you keep your license.

At court, if found guilty, you lose your license. From what I have read, from what has been quoted, from what is written in the union contract, I have 24 hours to notify ups of a suspended license. So, absolutely no, if I were pulled over today for a DWI I would not tell UPS management, because I would do everything in my power to beat the charge.

If and when found guilty in court, I have 24 hours to advise UPS management.

I don't make the laws here - I just follow them.

All if this is a moot point for me, I'm just going by the law - I have not had a drink in close to 10 years.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Our laws pertaining to drinking and driving are quite lax compared to those in Europe. Over there if you are DUI you will do serious jail time and have your license yanked for several years....on the first offense.

As far as the cop being judge jury and executioner....he isnt. He can charge you with DUI even if you are under .08, but he will have to testify in court and you will have an opportunity to plead your case. .08 and over is simply the point at which you are considered legally intoxicated whether you pass a sobriety test or not and the testimony of the cop is no longer needed.

The real issue here is the repeat offenders. They are the ones getting in the accidents, and they aren't blowing .08 or .10 they are blowing .25 or higher. A lot of them havent had a valid license in years and never will; its cheaper and easier for them to just spend $500 on a beater car and drive it until they get pulled over (again) and the car gets impounded (again) and they get cited and released (again). Folks like these need some real jail time or they just keep on driving whether they have a license or not.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
It really is a contradiction with bars & DWI - everyone leaving a bar (well, usually) is over the limit.

Same thing with cars & emissions - we can't get some great cars here from overseas because they may put out 2 parts per million more C02 than they are supposed to, yet we allow companies to sell cigarettes.

New Englander

I know - it's hard, and I'll use small words for you - but do you have an actual argument to put forth, or just seeing how far you can stick your nose up UPSTATE's butt?

Your a bit slow at all of this huh?

Upstate and I are far from the best of friends on here. He and I have just not found something to disagree on lately.

Especially with you here.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Your a bit slow at all of this huh?

Upstate and I are far from the best of friends on here. He and I have just not found something to disagree on lately.

Especially with you here.

Sooooo, thennnn (trying to help you here) you then DO have some type of argument?

(Last attempt - See my "To Do" list for the Fantastic Four)

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The real issue here is the repeat offenders. They are the ones getting in the accidents, and they aren't blowing .08 or .10 they are blowing .25 or higher. A lot of them havent had a valid license in years and never will; its cheaper and easier for them to just spend $500 on a beater car and drive it until they get pulled over (again) and the car gets impounded (again) and they get cited and released (again). Folks like these need some real jail time or they just keep on driving whether they have a license or not.
It's actually a misconception that repeat offenders are the biggest problem, though I agree that they need to be dealt with. In 2007, 92% of all the drivers involved in a fatal crash with a BAC of .08 or higher had no prior DWI convictions.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I am not going to read every one of these posts! 6 pages in less than 24 hours of banter back and forth! Even on a holiday to top it off!

Dwi driver, you are screwed! The contract (at leaste here) says you must notify the company within 5 days of the dui. You will have to enroll in the sap qand get counseling.

Sorry if anyone else had pointed this out.