New Email Client....?

over9five

Staff member
...for laptop.
So after the big Windows 10 update 2 days ago, Windows Live Mail no longer works.
Looked into it, and their final update was done in 2014, and it's no longer included in their stuff.

I tried "Thunderbird", but couldn't get it to work.

Any suggestions for a new client? I don't want to pay for it...

...for laptop.
So after the big Windows 10 update 2 days ago, Windows Live Mail no longer works.
Looked into it, and their final update was done in 2014, and it's no longer included in their stuff.

Cheap ass...

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
...for laptop.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
...for laptop.

9EBF76B2-E798-4078-B179-CF9E3FEBB151.png

never had that problem with Apple

oldngray

nowhere special
...for laptop.

Thunderbird is great but some of the latest updates won't let it keep working with older mail accounts. Try installing an older version of Thunderbird. (before 60 or so?)

I had that problem and installed a really old version I had the installer for and kept updating until I got to the last version that worked, then turned off updates,

oldngray

nowhere special
...for laptop.

You could still get Windows 7 Professional until recently and it stopped including Live Mail a couple of years ago. I have 3 computers with Win 7 and last one I got a couple of years ago didn't have it. Mail included with Win 10 isn't great but not that bad either. It still works, Pretty easy to add extra email accounts to it.

over9five

Staff member
You could still get Windows 7 Professional until recently and it stopped including Live Mail a couple of years ago. I have 3 computers with Win 7 and last one I got a couple of years ago didn't have it. Mail included with Win 10 isn't great but not that bad either. It still works, Pretty easy to add extra email accounts to it.
Yeah, I looked at Mail, but it seemed really basic. Might try what you said with Thunderbird on the weekend. I liked that one best out of the brief research I did.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I use my personal gmail account to import email from several different not gmail accounts. It's free. Setup can be a little tricky tho.

oldngray

nowhere special
I use my personal gmail account to import email from several different not gmail accounts. It's free. Setup can be a little tricky tho.
gmail is pretty good but can get annoying. Like when it will periodically make changes on its own. Like changing security settings. Also its warnings when you use more than one device get annoying. I have it set up as a secondary client and use it a little bit.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
gmail is pretty good but can get annoying. Like when it will periodically make changes on its own. Like changing security settings. Also its warnings when you use more than one device get annoying. I have it set up as a secondary client and use it a little bit.
Many time a day I use it on both my phone and my laptop and haven't ever seen any warnings about using it on more than one device. That would be really annoying. Maybe it's a setting...

oldngray

nowhere special
Many time a day I use it on both my phone and my laptop and haven't ever seen any warnings about using it on more than one device. That would be really annoying. Maybe it's a setting...
I think it gives the security warning if you sign in with a different device you haven't used recently. It treats it as signing in with a new device.

JJinVA

...for laptop.

I use protonmail.com Based in Switzerland I think. Supposed to be the most secure one out there. Free. Also have a payable version.

rod

Retired 22 years
I don't have a clue what I'm on or what virus protection I have. All I know is I have a great friend (I call him a kid but he's in his mid 40's now ) who takes care of all my computer problems and all it cost me is a case of beer once in awhile.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I think it gives the security warning if you sign in with a different device you haven't used recently. It treats it as signing in with a new device.
Could be. I use the same 2 devices. It may have happened when I replaced one of them. I don't remember, but doesn't mean it didn't happen.