New Employee Driver Application

nystripe96

Ok, so I know it takes one year to get onto the waiting list for driver, but in my new employee information packet, there's an application for package driver position. Do I have to wait the one year to give in my application, or can I just hand it to HR now even though I won't be eligible to make the list until next Sept?

menotyou

bella amicizia
When I went from PT to FT, I was basically re-hired. Had to go thru the whole application process again. This was in 2009.

UPSGUY72

Ok, so I know it takes one year to get onto the waiting list for driver, but in my new employee information packet, there's an application for package driver position. Do I have to wait the one year to give in my application, or can I just hand it to HR now even though I won't be eligible to make the list until next Sept?

Fill it out so they have all the info they need to check you driving record when you get the opportunity to go driving.

When I went from PT to FT, I was basically re-hired. Had to go thru the whole application process again. This was in 2009.

It doesn't work that way in my area. You sign the list at the begin of the year or the bid when it goes up if you meet all the qualifications and have the seniority you get the job. In my case I was only a PT for 10 months before I got the opportunity to be a FT driver. Not listen to my coworkers I signed the list at the beginning of the year to become a FT driver even though I wasn't at UPS a year yet. I didn't have to fill out anymore paperwork.

nystripe96

Ok, I'll talk to HR about it soon, can't hurt. 10 months sounds like a dream, but I think 2 to 3 years is realistic according to the drivers I've spoken to in my HUB. Thanks guys

JonFrum

. . .In my case I was only a PT for 10 months before I got the opportunity to be a FT driver. Not listen to my coworkers I signed the list at the beginning of the year to become a FT driver even though I wasn't at UPS a year yet. . .
That's because in New England our Supplement says:

Article 55 Part-time Employees
Section 5
. . . Part-time employees with nine (9) months or more seniority may bid on a full-time opening in the Union jurisdiction in all months, except October, November, and December . . .

UPSGUY72

That's because in New England our Supplement says:

Article 55 Part-time Employees
Section 5
. . . Part-time employees with nine (9) months or more seniority may bid on a full-time opening in the Union jurisdiction in all months, except October, November, and December . . .

I signed the list when I had 5 months of seniority I got a drivers position when I had 10 months.

I was in the steel workers union before UPS. I was told by some old timers to sign every bid that I would like no matter what the rules or people say because there are always exceptions and if you don't sign you will not have a chance of winning the bid.

nystripe96

I signed the list when I had 5 months of seniority I got a drivers position when I had 10 months.

I was in the steel workers union before UPS. I was told by some old timers to sign every bid that I would like no matter what the rules or people say because there are always exceptions and if you don't sign you will not have a chance of winning the bid.

Is it imperative I know how to drive manual transmission before driver orientation? Some people I've spoken to say no, on the application it says I must know how to drive stick. I plan on taking a few lessons anyway, can't hurt, but just curious

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Is it imperative I know how to drive manual transmission before driver orientation? Some people I've spoken to say no, on the application it says I must know how to drive stick. I plan on taking a few lessons anyway, can't hurt, but just curious

Plan on having to take a road test with a manual transmission. Besides that, are you comfortable driving a large vehicle? Things like being able to keep the [-]truck[/-]package car centered in the traffic lane, knowing where the rear wheels are (so you don't run over curbs/scrape signs on turns), awareness of the 'tail swing' when turning, and backing into a spot are some of what is looked at on a road test.

When you're coming in and out of the building for your part time shift, glance in the cabs of the [-]trucks[/-]package cars and form your own estimate of how many are automatic vs. manual. Oh by the way, a lot of the manual trans [-]trucks[/-]package cars, also do not have power steering.