New hire here

D

deliver_man

At least you admit UPS is downsizing the work foece, wich means less new job openings foe new employees
Reading comprehension seems to be a problem of yours, where did I "admit" that UPS is downsizing the "work foece"? In my building we are adding fulltime positions at the rate of 1 every 1-2 months, with many of those hires coming from the street because every part-timer that wanted a fulltime job already has one. And those jobs are being created by volume growth, not by a bunch of shortsighted slugs intent on clinging to outdated technology in a misguided bid to remain employed.You are a classic example of someone who can't see the forest for the trees.

H

happyatups

My $.02 ...

I started working at UPS last December. Right in the middle of peak! It was crazy. The head honcho for my center said, "Show us your can work hard and you're in!" This conflicted with what HR told me, which was that I was a regular hire. Apparently I was hired as seasonal. No matter. As it turned out, I was never laid off. This particular manager preferred to scale back hours rather than lay people off, since everyone was going to be needed again after a few months. Plus, volume didn't drop as much as predicted.

I did work hard and I have a good attitude about the job, which definitely helps. I also did pre-load for Fedex (or, the "friend word", as it's called) one summer, so I had some experience. My loads are very neat. I'm not the fastest guy there, but more often than not I meet my pieces per hour requirement, and have time to help my neighbors.

My thoughts nearly a year later: I still love the job. I was shifted to a different pull. My drivers miss me, which is nice. The job can be frustrating. PT sups are no help and often just slow me down. I realize they have a job to do and I try to respect that, but they can be very frustrating at times. I try to deal with it. Drivers can be frustrating to. I hate starting a new pull and the drivers don't give you a chance to get used to it before they start bitchng. Please, give us at least a few weeks. I don't make any huge errors. I almost never load air on car. And I'm very, very neat. My load quality is superb. Even so, some drivers bitch. And half the time the problem isn't be, but the load chart having wrong information. So, I usually tell them I follow the chart and if they don't like it, talk to their sup. But overall I have a good attitude and most of the full time managers make note of that, which I like. And most drivers do have good attitudes and appreciate what I do, but the occasional unjustified bitching can really ruin the morning for someone that worked very hard for the past 5 hours trying to load their car.

I'm 27 and there primarily for benefits, which is great. I enjoy the job, the exercise, and the fast pace at which we work. The money I make is extra, so nearly 100% of it is being invested. I'm putting $100/week towards UPS stock and the rest into Savings. I'm still in school, too, but that's just part time. Not sure if I'll stay at UPS forever. My wife is becoming a nurse in 2 years and should have great benefits then. But, I really would like to stay, so we'll see what happens.

In closing, for one to make it at UPS, they have to have the right attitude. It's all about attitude. It's a hard job. You get dirty, you sweat, and you get cut. It seems those that can't make it either a) quit or b) become p/t sups. Everyone has asked me to go to p/t sup (which I know isn't all that uncommon, so I realize I'm not special), including the higher ups, but I usually tell them no and give them an honest answer as to why. I don't like the management there. There are too many sups as it is, and they don't really do much. I tell them that I like to work. The fast pace of loading helps the time go by quicker.

Thanks for listening.

D

dannyboy

Delivery man

From what I hear it is called restricting the seniority list. And it seems to be happening nation wide, and not just in a few centers.

It is a real problem in some places, and those drivers end up working much longer hours than in other places.

d

D

deliver_man

Danny,
I'm not sure which part of my post you are adressing. Could you expand a bit? In my building the big push is to get everyone in and off the clock under 9.5. And over the last 4 years we have been adding 8-12 fulltime positions a year. I'm not sure what you mean by "restricting the seniority list".

D

deliver_man

And HappyatUPS, glad to have you aboard. We need people like you to counter people like "muncher".

D

dannyboy

Restricting the seniority list is just that. No new hires. Even after people have retired.

The push here is to keep all the drivers under 9.5, but the dispatch is allways greater than 10.5.

We havent had a "new hire" here in close to three years.

They could and should have but havent. Have filed several greivances over management going out and delivering whole days by themselves. They pay the grievances, and just keep on not hiring drivers, and sups deliver the load. Last grievance was filed last monday for a 9.6 hour day for a sup delivering without an hourly with them.

I hope that clears the point I was making on restricting seniority lists.

d

M

muncher

we have a simular situtation going on in our center, we were promised 10 full time jobs in a grivence settlement because of sups taking out full loads and abuse of cover drivers. well 6 months later and as usual UPS is renigging on the deal. However next year UPS will have to create 2,500 full time jobs, so help for you may be on the way, but I sure it will come with a fight, remember the last time UPS had to create full time jobs?

D

deliver_man

I hope that clears the point I was making on restricting seniority lists

Well, it would have been clearer if you had said "hiring freeze", which sounds like what you have. Who came up with "restricting the seniority list"? That sounds like some kind of doubletalk. What has been the volume change in your bld over the last few years? Up, down, the same?

D

dannyboy

Del man

Not double talk. THat is what the union calls what the company is doing in many areas.

d

D

deliver_man

Danny,
Like I was saying, what is the situation in your bld with regards to volume? I seem to recall in another thread you saying the volume in your area was down, but I could be wrong. Are you saying that volume is up but UPS still won't put on new drivers? Or just that they won't replace guys who have retired?

O

opie

Does UPS give it's employees anything for the holidays (Thanksgiving/Christmas)? Like a turkey or gift certificate or something? Some companies like the one my dad works for, give out free turkeys for Thanksgiving. I wonder whether UPS does that?

(Message edited by Opie on November 21, 2003)

Y

yonnko

We were given our Turkeys Thursday night 11/20. All drivers were sent a message on road that the Turkeys were in air trailer, p/up before going home.

T

taupe

Taupe friend/K/A Frustrated {formally known as }

Well week one is behind me. I have changed my screen name to Taupe, as I'm seasonal, therefore, not fully "brown". Still working on getting used to getting up at 1:00 AM

I have been placed in a place called "Data Aq". Essentially all of the smaller packages come in, are scanned , labeled, sorted, and sent on their way.

The section is apparantley new,so they are experimenting with different ways to run it.

I'm doing some lifting, and it is pretty fast paced. The 3-5 hours flies by. When it is a little slow I go run "internals".

I have made a few observations.

First; almost everybody is very friendly, and helpful. Employees as well as supervision. I anticipated it being a stressful environment, and people would be tense.I was very wrong.

I had supervisors, come up after some of the shifts and thank me for doing a great job. { There does seem to be a lot of them }

They didn't have to say anything, but they went out of their way. That was nice, when you're all sweaty and headed for the door.

Employees, both new and old, like it there. I didn't hear grumbling and bitching.They are also very helpful and insightful, when I ask questions.

So far so good

S

smf0605

opie - each district gives out turkeys for the holidays - each district sets their own schedule. It is somewhere between now and Christmas

T

toonertoo

Last yr I gave mine unwittingly to charity. I didnt get in early, and the pkg car was locked when I did. Oh well they needed it more than I.

I

isguy

Opie,
Not sure about life in operations, but at IS in addition to the holiday bird, they throw a holiday meal with all of the fixings in mid December - turkey, roast, stuffing, taters, rolls, etc. Apparently they have scaled back since the pre-public days. Old timers talk about that being a formal catered deal, complete with linen table clothes and napkins, real silverware, etc, from an outside vendor. Now it's in house from the cafeteria crew, but it is still very good.