New loader having second thoughts

lololmao7

I am kinda in your situation. Im a 20 year old college student. I'll be frank, package handling sucks. It is a very very tough job, and I wanted to quit when I first started in June (right after my birthday). I was especially frustrated during peak season, getting nearly no sleep, and having to maintain decent grades at a Catholic University. It actually gets somewhat easier after your first few months, you get used to the work. But they will always continue to screw you; you see, I'm the guy who always helps people load up their stacked out cars, but I never get that help when I need it, resulting in mis-loads. If your hub allows it, bring an i-Pod in to your shift, it really helps you relax. Just stick with it, and get out of there as soon as you can.

blue efficacy

Don't discount the importance of the health insurance either, there aren't many jobs that offer them as good as UPS does, especially for PT work! Yeah, you do have to wait a year for it now sadly because your union brothers and sisters love to send the part timers down the river, but still..

For me personally UPS is a godsend. The actual work is awful, but relatively short shifts (I can get out in 2.5 hours often on the sort aisle) and the fantastic health benefits. I didn't think I needed those when I started at age 18, I was very healthy. But a couple of years later, I got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Being as how difficult it is to find a good job with good benefits, I would have been in a tough spot had I given in to my initial (strong) urge to quit UPS.

Also, after you are there for a spell one day it will magically become much easier. Trust me.

air_dr

...I could not load into the summer or much longer really, it's not even just the physically labor, but I can not stand the solitude and monotonicity of it, I need interaction with people to function.

I ask this because without the potential of obtaining a less physically demanding position my time at UPS will be cut short.
My dream would to own/manage my own restaurant and I don't think thats too far of a goal!.

But I thought it was funny that today was the first 6 hour shift I had... things got bad...very bad...
What do you mean by things getting very bad today...?

I have been at UPS for over 11 years now and am a part time air driver. I worked preload for close to four years. Your posts bring up memories of my own feelings in my early days at UPS. Presently I see UPS as my life career. During training, when I was first taken out to what would become my work area and met the guys there, I remember feeling I didn't think they were the kind of people I wanted to particularly be around and I would neither fit in, nor even particularly want to... Over time I sort of became one of them...

And for the record, I am pretty skinny...but I have good endurance...and have found myself having been able to do the work in the hub.

Finally, as far as the monotony, this comment may seem off the wall, but I'll take a chance and say it...finding meaning in your work is almost a spiritual question... "Practicing the Presence of God" was a book written centuries ago by Brother Laurence of the Resurrection. He was assigned many mundane jobs in the monastary and he learned to find genuine joy, meaning, and purpose in even the most dull tasks... Whether or not you stay at UPS, I would encourage you to give very serious thought to "What is worthwhile under the sun?" to use King Solomon's phrase from the Book of Ecclesiastes. It's a big life question for us all.

dillweed

You're not a boo-hooing lazy person. You're intelligent to come in and ask these questions. You're also getting some great responses. If you want a restaurant, how about starting as a cook or prep cook in a local restaurant? The money would not be good and it would probably be pretting boring until you worked yourself up to more challenging tasks but it would be a great way to find out if it's the type of place you want to be.

Just as you found that UPS wasn't your cup of tea, you may find the same in the food industry or you may find yourself just where you belong!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I have been with the compagnie for 20 years and its not the job its UPS killing their staff, over working them so they can fill their pockets so they could have that nice flash go off when they donate monies to a charity.its all about that flash. Here, for every 20 they hire maybe 1 will stay. If you think its not for you dont stay because once your at full rate it hard to leave.

no truer words