New Metal Detectors That Are Not Used

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I walk thru the metal detector every day, set it off, and keep right on walking. The guards here leave us alone because the detectors are set off by the metal doors to the guard shack so they beep continuously and are functionally worthless. The whole thing is a joke. Once in a blue moon the guard will ask to see the sticker on my phone and thats about it as far as "security" goes.

We just had two brand spanking new metal detectors installed in our guardroom last week. This move is a total waste a money and also a danger to our employees. No, I'm not talking about the effects of the machine, be it radiation or whatnot. Here is why.

1) The metal detector for the entrance door is simply never on. Not at all.

2) The metal detector for the exit door is housed between two metal doors. *facepalm* The metal doors set off the metal detector when ever they opened, because - get this - they're freaking metal. Sometimes we have lines outside because the guard is letting people in one by one. Other times, the doors are opened, which causes no problems except for the next number.

3) The guard just goes "OK, OK, go through, go through. Your good." He does not realize that one does not simply walk through a metal detector. You have to stand under inside it for about 3 seconds before it detects anything. Because of this, it never detects my short's buttons, my belt, or anything.

4) Our hours are now cut by a few hours each week - to save money. Granted, we are now fully staffed, but I think they could also save money by not having never bought these, I'm guessing at least $5,000 metal detectors - one of which isn't used and the other which is never used properly.

5) We had a employee who was fired for attacking our sup. Turns out, this wasn't the first time he physically attacked someone. He was somehow rehired after the first time, and refired the second. Choked him during a fight. He then threatened to come back with gun. A few weeks later, he's just chilling in the parking lot on April 15, 2013. Look the date up if you don't remember what happened then. A bit worrisome.
Did you just smoke a spliff?

We've only had 1 security guard that ever actually did his job. Now, he was a weird guy, and it felt uncomfortable when he ever so slowly scanned people with his magic metal detecting wand, but hindsight is 20/20 and we were probably all safer and there were less stolen phones.
We have a guard that looks just like the big boss man from wwf wrestling. I think he is mentally challenged. He makes me feel real safe when I'm at work.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You guys still have (and actually have to use) phone stickers??

In theory at least, yes. The guards seldom if ever check. Every couple years someone from Loss Prevention goes on a little rampage and demands that all phones get stickered, and we wind up with a big line at the guard shack for a few days until it blows over.