New Package Handler

Hexahedron

I just went through my first day, more videos than I thought there'd be.

I'm pretty sure I'm seasonal but I'm hoping to become a permanent part-timer.
There is a retention bonus in my area so I'm hoping that improves my odds of getting on permanently.

I found these forums because I was looking for an answer for "what are my odds of being put on permanently at UPS". Which, the consensus seems to be. "show up, work really hard, show that you have a brain in your head, and cross your fingers"

Ideally, I'd like to work here for a few years and get into management or driving.

Showing up is big. If they keep you after peak, you still have to make your 30 days or whatever it is where you are. They won't need you everyday. Plan to go in anyway. 10 minutes after start time, they'll call you because someone else called in. Be ready to get there and work. Sucks, but that's a game they play.

Hexahedron

Today was more what I expected, we watched a quick video about how not to die on/around the conveyor belts, then a bunch of unloading. One thing is for sure, I need to eat some carbs before I go to work.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Hexahedron

Hi and Welcome , what kind of package handler are you?
I was just unloading today, and the job I applied for was "package handler" so, I'm guessing they'll put me where I'm needed once I know what I'm doing (or at least seem to know what I'm doing). The unloading was pretty fun, and it was good exercise, which is what I was hoping it would be.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I was just unloading today, and the job I applied for was "package handler" so, I'm guessing they'll put me where I'm needed once I know what I'm doing (or at least seem to know what I'm doing). The unloading was pretty fun, and it was good exercise, which is what I was hoping it would be.
I'm 37 now, I hate the excercise part now and the loading part and the interacting with supervisor part and getting dirty part and.....

KOG72

I’m full of it
What I remember unloading wasn't too bad until summer time hit,that's when it really sucks to be in those trailers.Hot....Hot

Brownies...mmm

Never Underestimate the Power of a Woman
Oh ok nice. I'm a loader and some people do preload. We are all package handlers just different parts of the process.

Well you will definitely get plenty exercise. lol

Brownies...mmm

Never Underestimate the Power of a Woman
What I remember unloading wasn't too bad until summer time hit,that's when it really sucks to be in those trailers.Hot....Hot
It sucks when your loading them too. I don't know which will be worse freezing once it gets really cold or baking in the heat (which I've done).

KOG72

I’m full of it
I like it better hot, minimal clothing and ice cold water than freezing but sweating in the cold. In between weather is ideal.
I remember my last days in the unload it was in May it was hot outside trailers sit in the yard all day lifted door felt like a greenhouse in there.That's when I decided it was time to be a sorter.