New preloader. Am I being taken advantage of?

as75ups

Hey all,

I started a few months ago as a package car loader for the 4am-9am shift. I follow what others do in my building, but I'm starting to pick up on some things... We arrive 10-15 minutes early a day to "set-up" and I was told by a supervisor that it is unpaid time.

The next day, I made it my mission to not touch a thing until the am shift time started. I usually have a lot of packages in the car from the previous day. The entire shift I was chewed out for being behind due to this.

Another huge issue I'm having is management working almost as much as the preloaders. I get "help" for approximately 30-45 minutes a day because I have to split and load three cars. Am I having my money stolen from me? If so, is there a way to get it back? My steward seems to be buddies with the supervisors and I have a hard time getting ANYTHING out of him.

Thanks a ton guys.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why do you still have packages on the cars from the previous day? All send agains are supposed to be run back through to make sure that they are in EDD.

Don't do one single thing off the clock.

as75ups

Why do you still have packages on the cars from the previous day? All send agains are supposed to be run back through to make sure that they are in EDD.

Don't do one single thing off the clock.

I'm not sure really. A vast majority of the time I have about 10-15 packages leftover per car.

What should I do about my second issue? Can I file a grievance over stolen time?

I don't believe you.
200w.gif

Cementups

Box Monkey
I'm assuming you have made your 30. If they are sending people home and supervisors are working, then start filing grievances. But if all available employees are intact then sups are actually allowed to lend a hand, though it is frowned upon.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Don't ever work for free. Period.
i got to work about 10-15 minutes early every night ( on a snow night )and was in the habit of loading my tractor up with my snow equipment before i was actually on the clock.

my BA pointed out that if i just happened to slip off the steps or anything else and hurt myself for any reason ( while off the clock ) the company would be justified in terminating me.

thats just one of many good reasons why you should never work off the clock.

as75ups

I'm assuming you have made your 30. If they are sending people home and supervisors are working, then start filing grievances. But if all available employees are intact then sups are actually allowed to lend a hand, though it is frowned upon.

Yeah I made my 30. What's happening is they rush unload and then send all of the unloaders home. Then the supes work to wrap the preloader's jobs up.

PT Car Washer

Yeah I made my 30. What's happening is they rush unload and then send all of the unloaders home. Then the supes work to wrap the preloader's jobs up.
If the steward will not answer your questions, you need to get with your Business Agent at the Union Hall. Starting early off the clock and supervisors working should not be happening. How many hours a day are you and your co workers getting? How do your co workers feel about these problems? The more employees protesting the sooner it will end.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hey all,

I started a few months ago as a package car loader for the 4am-9am shift. I follow what others do in my building, but I'm starting to pick up on some things... We arrive 10-15 minutes early a day to "set-up" and I was told by a supervisor that it is unpaid time.

The next day, I made it my mission to not touch a thing until the am shift time started. I usually have a lot of packages in the car from the previous day. The entire shift I was chewed out for being behind due to this.

Another huge issue I'm having is management working almost as much as the preloaders. I get "help" for approximately 30-45 minutes a day because I have to split and load three cars. Am I having my money stolen from me? If so, is there a way to get it back? My steward seems to be buddies with the supervisors and I have a hard time getting ANYTHING out of him.

Thanks a ton guys.
Unpaid set up time before start time? Yea that's called my smoke and coffee time. I do my send agains after my start time.