New to air driving; quick question

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Alligator, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Alligator

Alligator Alien Aligator Here For Your Package

I know air drivers work Saturdays but is it every Saturday or is the month split amongst the different air drivers? Or does it depend on where you are located?
    Thanks ^.^

2. This wasn't specified on the bid sign up sheet you signed?:bored2:

3. Alligator

No it was not :/

4. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

In my center there is a PT sign up sheet for Saturday driving. If not enough people sign up Art. 40 in the Master Agreement says UPS can force from the bottom. Never seen that happen except for Holidays, Mothers Day, Christmas Eve, day after Thanksgiving.

5. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

You would have to ask the supe that covers Saturday air driving as it really depends on the bid and the center you are in.

6. Pooter

Pooter Active Member

Just depends on available work and your seniority.

7. Alligator

Thanks everyone for your replies; I will definitely ask around my center

8. rha

rha Member

Do you want to work every saturday?

9. Alligator

I would if I have to, but honestly, who would really want to work every Saturday? ;) Lol

10. hondo

hondo promoted to mediocrity

Read Article 40. If you don't work pretty much every Saturday, it will take you until about forever to get to top pay rate.

11. rha

rha Member

I just started on saturdays earlier this year. I've worked every saturday since I started.

12. PT Car Washer

I thought it takes 2 years to reach top pay. Has that changed?

13. PT Car Washer

I consider working Saturday Air as an excuse it get up and drive around town stopping every so often to drop off a package. And make a $100.00 before lunch.

14. hondo

Good for you. About how long would you say it took you to feel comfortable/confident doing it? Between mapping out the deliveries, estimating if you are over dispatches, driving the truck, and recording everything with the DIAD. Do you have EDD on Saturday?

15. hondo

Good question. I was listed as a bid Saturday driver and went to top rate after 2 years (worked about 95% of those Saturdays). I did have problems with payroll screwing up the rate, it got straightened out.

But I know in some of our other barns if you only drove on Saturday, you were considered an exception air driver. I had talked to a FT pkg steward in one of those barns, and he thought you had to work 4 Saturdays to earn a month towards the 2 years. Now I'm scratching my head. Could very well be he didn't understand the language, or the Local's Air Grievance Committee/Panel got a really bad interpretation/decision. Bad things like that can happen when you get trustee'd and the E-board and staff turn over too often.

16. PT Car Washer

Art. 40 Section 6 Wages (a) (2) talks about Air Exception drivers who are awarded a scheduled PT Air route. For every 4 days of exception work in the previous 2 years you receive 1 month of progression credit.

17. hondo

Yeah that's got to be where he got that idea. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if it is being misinterpreted or have a bad (for the members) decision here.

18. fres431

fres431 Active Member

Deliver one air package progression. Starts just like ground 2 year cap in airImageUploadedByBrownCafe1410388961.357272.jpg ground is a 4 yr

19. It's voluntary.

20. it's two years