Electing to work Tuesday-Saturday

21Savage

Yeah but we're the big dogs on Saturday. I walk through the guard shack like this on Saturday..

IMG_2273.gif

DOK

At least where I'm at they asked if anybody wanted to be a Tuesday through Saturday driver then they want from the bottom up, to make the bottom seniority drivers Tuesday through Saturday
Yes it's complete mess
Here they designated anybody after 2019 (or whatever the date is) as tue-sat. Although when we then bid areas, a few mon-fri drivers picked tue-sat routes for various reasons. So that resulted in some drivers hired after 2019 getting mon-fri routes. Here we rebid every 2 years.

Here they designated anybody after 2019 (or whatever the date is) as tue-sat. Although when we then bid areas, a few mon-fri drivers picked tue-sat routes for various reasons. So that resulted in some drivers hired after 2019 getting mon-fri routes. Here we rebid every 2 years.
We had a couple of drivers hired before 2019 get forced onto working Tuesday through Saturday

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
What I can tell you is that this Atlantic Area MOU makes it so that bidding on a route and bidding on a workweek schedule are two separate bids. So you could bid a m-friend route and a tues-sat schedule. Still doesn't clarify how often workweek schedules should be bid tho. Unless you are cover, in which case you should be selecting your workweek schedule each Thursday for the following week. Our local told me that they "don't recognize" this MOU and aren't going to do it this way. Your local is probably doing it the right way as opposed to whatever the hell we're doing here. If you ask your BA how often workweek schedules will be bid, I would be interested to hear what answer they gave you and what local you are in.

View attachment 473554
The fourth bullet point down contradicts Article 11 of the NMA. Why should any cover driver be forced on a Tuesday Saturday schedule with no regard to Aug 1 2019?

Brown Down

Here we bid yearly and this is the second year of the schedule bids as well. As others have said it will have to be by building as we are the only center anywhere near us that has Saturday ground. Atlantic supplement.

10:30 resi

The fourth bullet point down contradicts Article 11 of the NMA. Why should any cover driver be forced on a Tuesday Saturday schedule with no regard to Aug 1 2019?
So what? In this local we have 3 MOUs on the subject of weekend work schedules that contradict either the NMA or our supplement.

I think the logic is that if you were a RPCD before Aug 1 2019 you have enough seniority to take a route but instead are choosing cover. If you don't want to deal with selecting your schedule weekly then use your seniority to bid a route and you don't have to. The company gets to decide how much coverage staff they need on each schedule each week so if they say "hey next week we need 0 mon-fri cover drivers and 10 tues-sat" all 10 cover drivers can still select their schedule in seniority order but there is only one option available.

DriverNerd

I think the logic is that if you were a RPCD before Aug 1 2019 you have enough seniority to take a route but instead are choosing cover. If you don't want to deal with selecting your schedule weekly then use your seniority to bid a route and you don't have to. The company gets to decide how much coverage staff they need on each schedule each week so if they say "hey next week we need 0 mon-fri cover drivers and 10 tues-sat" all 10 cover drivers can still select their schedule in seniority order but there is only one option available.
I am a cover driver because I like the variety...and getting my choice of routes is a nice perk of high seniority. We'd never be able to cover all routes on Monday with at least a couple cover drivers (maybe not on those very slow, no one is on vaca weeks). Most do work tues-sat though. I was worried that something like all cover driver work tues-sat was going to come across the last contract but it sure doesn't seem like a seniority based company should force high seniority people into a different shift.

Thebrownblob

I am a cover driver because I like the variety...and getting my choice of routes is a nice perk of high seniority. We'd never be able to cover all routes on Monday with at least a couple cover drivers (maybe not on those very slow, no one is on vaca weeks). Most do work tues-sat though. I was worried that something like all cover driver work tues-sat was going to come across the last contract but it sure doesn't seem like a seniority based company should force high seniority people into a different shift.
Yep, we have a number of high seniority bid cover drivers. They don’t like commitment lol.

10:30 resi

As long as the company needs at least a couple cover drivers on Monday and you are one of the top cover drivers by seniority, you get to choose every week what schedule you want. Which I think is good. If you want to make a dentist appointment on Monday you could elect to work tues-sat that week instead of using an entitlement on Monday. Or if you have vacation this week you could elect to work tues-sat next week so that you get an extra day before you have to come back. And that would open up the mon-fri spot for the next guy on the seniority list that week. It's only a problem on a week the company says they need no mon-fri cover.

johnnybgood

Thanks for replying but that’s not really my question. I mean they went by seniority order asking drivers if they’d rather work Monday-Friday or Tuesday-Saturday. I don’t know if this is going to be a yearly bid.
What makes you think it's not going to be ?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
At my center we were asked to bid for either a Monday-Friday schedule or a Tuesday-Saturday schedule. This year they implemented these work schedules. Does anyone know how often these bids take place? Is it every year or was this a one time bid? I’m in the Atlantic Supplement and can’t find anywhere in the new contract where this topic is mentioned.
Once on Saturday, always on Saturday until a mon-fti driver leaves.

Thebrownblob

Once on Saturday, always on Saturday until a mon-fti driver leaves.
Local agreement here says every six months those pre August 2019 that volunteered to work Tues-Saturday can choose to come back Monday through Friday. So basically a six month commitment. One has returned so far.