New Training Designed To Oppress

Coldworld

60 months and counting
That is done at the executive level. My decisions have no material effect on earnings so I am not expected to act with the shareholder in mind. IE does that and my planning is based on what they give me.
Now what kind of selfish attitude is that...your decisions absolutely have a huge effect on the bottom line....if you don't want to be a team player there is 100 people waiting for your position........bahahahaha...yeah right

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That is done at the executive level. My decisions have no material effect on earnings so I am not expected to act with the shareholder in mind. IE does that and my planning is based on what they give me.
VP level and up are saddled with the fiduciary responsibilities.
That is also why no one below the VP level is briefed on UPS plans, daily operations results including volume.
That is definitely a downside to UPS being public.

Sheep DAWG

I never said you have any responsibilities to the shareholders frigid. You're not a partner . You don't have a high enough pay scale. You are required to have a degree unless you were a manager prior to us going on the stock market. If you were there prior, you are grandfathered in but you won't ever be promoted higher without one. I agree with you that your decisions won't ever effect shareholders because you don't really get to make decisions, you just do as you are told. I really don't understand why anyone below a district mamanager would need any form of education.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm just saying, I hear all the time I'm a 30 day wonder blah blah. There wouldn't be 30 day wonders if guys didn't treat union employees going into management like the enemy.

The moment I went into management I had half the building turn their backs on me. And I didn't even make a decision yet.
Patience ... they are limited in their understanding.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I know you old timer management people know all this bs started when we went on open stock market. That was the beginning of all the idiots running things.
We do have some good managers still around, but they are just an empty shell these days. UPS doesn't want managers that actually have skills In managing . They want people with no brains, but a degree (doesn't matter if it's bought) and if they are told to jump, they better do it with springs on their shoes.
I was in management for 20 years before UPS went public.
UPS intentions never changed in the 40 years I was there.
The difference is that technology made it a whole lot easier to measure.
I remember my first month or so in management at UPS and constantly hearing ...
"if you can't measure it, you can't control it".
That was already so ingrained in the UPS culture in the '70s I thought it was the UPS mantra.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
And on top of that, they hold their last five years of stock hostage to force them to stay...we have had about 10 management go out on mental leave in the last 6 months....sounds like a great rewarding job.....just can't figure out why they hate the drivers so much when their own "so called" partners are the ones screwing them.

You can't be that :censored3:ing stupid. :wink2:

Last edited:

Sheep DAWG

UPS has always been a harsh company to work for, I totally agree. But when we started focusing more on those measured numbers and "service" took a second place seat, I knew it was only time before the Center managers and Supervisors also got a second place seat, those guys are not taken care of and made to feel as the partner they once were. UPS does have the technology to measure better with, but that doesn't effect me. It effects management. They can replace management with a manager from Auto zone now. All you need to be able to do is Run reports, we use to call that a secretary .

Sheep DAWG

It's funny too about the technology you spoke of. Orion is suppose to be so great and the company thinks it will eventually replace the current work. fonce. They think it will eventually be an unskilled job. Funny thing is though, most supervisors turn off orion when they are training someone because they say it's too screwed up to teach some one an area that has you go in and out of the area 6 times a day. Measure that ...LOL. it's all smoke and mirrors. The only people that will be replaced will be managers and supervisors. A OMS can run reports and have drivers sign off. Also they can have people at the call centers watch us in between calls and email us a waring letter for a seat belt infraction or mis-delivery . Don't need high priced supervisors when we have all this great technology . Heck we can even have a morning meeting over the diad. I think the supervisors are drinking the kool-aid if they arn't seeing who this technology is going to replace.