Newish PT supervisor, looking for advice

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
everything bottlenecks at the preload
You run any part of the sort faster than them you are just wasting everybody's time trying to get a good report on paper for hours worked.

dudebro

Hello everyone, I've been a local sort PT supervisor dealing with outbound loads for going on 11 months. I'm looking for information on how to better myself in dealing with my people, such as resolving arguments, and avoiding them by saying things tactfully. I'm often blunt, and come off as a jerk at time without realizing it, but have been working on that with much success since peak season.

I'm striving to be the best supervisor I can possibly be, I do have much to learn as I feel I'm very young to be in this position. Could someone point me in the right direction regarding suitable information? I also want to increase efficiency in regards on OTN every night, regardless of staffing and volume. I move people around all night, which helps, but at times people wont work for me, and will lay down for the rest of the night if I don't get them help in the trailer at the right moment.

One avenue I'm currently going down is looking into online management courses, my goal is to take one or two classes this summer, then go back to school full time in the fall when I wont be working two jobs. If anyone could suggest an online school with the classes that would best fit my situation, I would greatly appreciate it.
Look for spheres of influence and work with them. Usually it will be a steward, but not necessarily.

One of the things I've done was to do my best to make an ally out of a strong, solid steward. Then go through what you're trying to do in the operation and sincerely take the feedback. Sometimes you won't like the feedback, but it might show you a path to what you want that's acceptable to the rank and file.

Don't make a deal with the steward that compromises your integrity though, and don't ask that of the steward either. In Europe the work councils all work this way.

90% of what needs to happen, need not be adversarial.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Hello everyone, I've been a local sort PT supervisor dealing with outbound loads for going on 11 months. I'm looking for information on how to better myself in dealing with my people, such as resolving arguments, and avoiding them by saying things tactfully. I'm often blunt, and come off as a jerk at time without realizing it, but have been working on that with much success since peak season.

I'm striving to be the best supervisor I can possibly be, I do have much to learn as I feel I'm very young to be in this position. Could someone point me in the right direction regarding suitable information? I also want to increase efficiency in regards on OTN every night, regardless of staffing and volume. I move people around all night, which helps, but at times people wont work for me, and will lay down for the rest of the night if I don't get them help in the trailer at the right moment.

One avenue I'm currently going down is looking into online management courses, my goal is to take one or two classes this summer, then go back to school full time in the fall when I wont be working two jobs. If anyone could suggest an online school with the classes that would best fit my situation, I would greatly appreciate it.
You made the wrong choice
Have Fun

BestMgrEver

Hot girl summer
So I'm confused. Avoidable accidents in the last two years. Yea or nay?
Plan your lies better, troll. :wink2:

You're right. I hate considering that stupid move as a accident. I stand corrected. 1 accident in the last 2 years. Not a troll here. Just arrogant and probably the best supervisor in my region.

Yolo

You have to remember you are a part time sup. Don't go on some power trip. You are the bottom of the barrel. Help your team. No one will respect you if you act like some hard ass.

Honest advice, without me being a sheet head, balance compassion with your crew and how hard your managers come down on you. We all know they push you a lot harder than you attempt to push us. Even though you try, we know your anger is just coming from higher up the ladder. You have to find a balance.

MarvelousMunata

The Scapegoat With Attitude
Dealing with a new sup nowadays.
Thought he was being a dick.
Then realized he just doesnt know how to approach people and connect with them.
But then he started micromanaging and I realized I was right the first time.

Where we work, if u leave the people alone theyll do the job no problem.