No break today - "short" rant

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
At the Orlando, FL HUB it's been almost two month that we do not have break every Friday. So man up and suck it up.

No break every Friday? Balderdash, I say. I can remember when I was part time, the word break may has well have been Latin because we NEVER saw one, unless you count the extra long dumps I took in the feeders bathroom.

J

jibbs

Personally, I'm just gonna be more adamant to my supe about getting a chance to smoke a jack. Not even a 10min break necessarily, though it'd be cool for a chance for once to hit the vending machines up.

Man... A 10 minute break would be amazing...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I didn't get one today either. Pulled over, sorting stuff, does NOT count.

Any driver who does not take their lunch/break has only themself to blame. Insiders are subject to the whims of their shift supervisor who is supposed to follow the contract.

At the Orlando, FL HUB it's been almost two month that we do not have break every Friday. So man up and suck it up.

There is no excuse for this. You need to get your shop steward involved.

So the company paid you and your entire shift 45 min to do nothing, and you are complaining about a 10 min break? What am I missing?

You are not missing anything. We have drivers who do the same thing---we will have extended downtime and their first stop after we leave the building is their break.

laffter

I forgot to mention something else, which I posted about at the time. A month or so ago, I arrived to a dark building. The power was out for about a half hour. We got our break on-time, and we went down a "normal" time (not normal for the volume that day, but normal as if it was a heavy day). Very similar to the scenario yesterday, except the whole break thing. The only thing that has changed between then and now is management. We have a new building manager, a new preload manager, a new dispatch guy. Hell, even new part time sups, but they don't really play an important roll in anything.

What concerned me is... the new management may have been testing the waters, so to speak, to see what kind of reaction this move would produce. If they got away with it one time, they may try it again. Next time it could be- oh, volume is unexpectedly heavy today and we can't afford a break.

I hope a big enough stink was made to show that some of us do pay attention to what's going on. This is the first time in my employment here that we did not receive a normal break. I hope it's the last time, or at least for a long time. I still hope that others file a grievance on Monday, as the offer for an extra ten minutes may not have even been extended to them.

Anyway, thank you all for your replies.

Nimnim

The Nim

I'm going to assume you're on the midnight shift, and either in the unload or sort aisle. The past couple months our Friday start time has been 11:55 pm, almost not worth showing up I agree, but they have indeed had break every Friday with that start time at 2:45 am which is the latest they are allowed without violating the contract. Thing is though when they have break that late on a Friday with lower volume the inbound is finished by then. If you were to insist on your 3.5 guarantee you'd be around for the break which is called at the 2 hour 50 minute mark.

Edit:

Article 49 "Part Time Employees"
Section 3 "Part Time Relief Periods"
Part-time employees will be guaranteed ten (10) minutes relief period each work shift. The relief period may not start before the end of the first (1st) hour and must be completed by the end of the third(3rd) hour.

I'm sure you could try to force UPS to pay you for a break, but I'm going to take a stab at their response being "You voluntarily left before we called break so we're not entitled to pay you for something you opted out of by leaving before it was given."

Last edited:

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Contact your BA.

As I wrote earlier, we encounter this problem at least once per year (server crashes), and the union has informed us that in emergency situations, we're not entitled to our break.

I forgot to mention something else, which I posted about at the time. A month or so ago, I arrived to a dark building. The power was out for about a half hour. We got our break on-time, and we went down a "normal" time (not normal for the volume that day, but normal as if it was a heavy day). Very similar to the scenario yesterday, except the whole break thing. The only thing that has changed between then and now is management. We have a new building manager, a new preload manager, a new dispatch guy. Hell, even new part time sups, but they don't really play an important roll in anything.

What concerned me is... the new management may have been testing the waters, so to speak, to see what kind of reaction this move would produce. If they got away with it one time, they may try it again. Next time it could be- oh, volume is unexpectedly heavy today and we can't afford a break.

I hope a big enough stink was made to show that some of us do pay attention to what's going on. This is the first time in my employment here that we did not receive a normal break. I hope it's the last time, or at least for a long time. I still hope that others file a grievance on Monday, as the offer for an extra ten minutes may not have even been extended to them.

Anyway, thank you all for your replies.

AlwaysChafed

I'll be honest.

Of the options of getting off at 2000 with break, or 1900 without, I'd choose the latter.

Break or no break, I think a lot will agree. The earlier the better.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'll be honest.

Of the options of getting off at 2000 with break, or 1900 without, I'd choose the latter.

...and that's exactly why the company can get away with this crap....until you guys start demanding your daily guarantee(s) the company will continue to take these shortcuts,,,

UPS Preloader

I'll be honest.

And a lot us would disagree as well. The break is in the contract because the union fought and earned that right for us.

UPS Preloader

Contact your BA.

As I wrote earlier, we encounter this problem at least once per year (server crashes), and the union has informed us that in emergency situations, we're not entitled to our break.

No where in the contract does it state that break will be waived in the event of an emergency condition. Sounds to me like you need to elect a new BA. This situation could have been avoided by calling in more help which is what should have be done in this situation.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
No where in the contract does it state that break will be waived in the event of an emergency condition. Sounds to me like you need to elect a new BA. This situation could have been avoided by calling in more help which is what should have be done in this situation.

There's oodles of exceptions / interpretations to the contract that have been decided in arbitration (or agreed by the union). Emergency situations is one of them.