No Inspection sticker on package car...would you go on road?

Inthegame

Ask any Sharonville Ohio feeder driver.
OK, any Sharonville Feeder driver, please tell us how a broken landing gear makes a loaded trailer (hooked to a tractor) unsafe, therefore out of service? And then how does the unrepaired trailer with the broken landing gear get dropped on said broken landing gear (at the scale) and then get moved back to the UPS facility by a tow truck. I mean if it's so unsafe as to not let it proceed, why didn't the scalemaster order it fixed on the spot?
There's got to be more to this story.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
OK, any Sharonville Feeder driver, please tell us how a broken landing gear makes a loaded trailer (hooked to a tractor) unsafe, therefore out of service? And then how does the unrepaired trailer with the broken landing gear get dropped on said broken landing gear (at the scale) and then get moved back to the UPS facility by a tow truck. I mean if it's so unsafe as to not let it proceed, why didn't the scalemaster order it fixed on the spot?
There's got to be more to this story.

There's a reason they have laws and regulations dealing with just about every bit of equipment we use. The same reason that the scales will stop you if you pull in over-weight. Because you're over-weight doesn't mean the wheels are going to fall off. But there is a reason for weight limits.

Surely you've dealt with overzealous police before? That aside, the driver asked the scalemaster to approve the landing gear. Do you really think that guy is going to give a pass to a piece of broken equipment--a DOT violation--down the highway? If he says, "Go ahead," and it breaks down the road, then the scalemaster is also potentially liable. Think there is even a remote chance that he is going to put his ass in the sling? Better to stop the trailer at the scales and have it potentially break there then past his post.

The bottom line is we are paid check off our equipment BEFORE we leave. That is the driver's responsibility. If the equipment doesn't pass the driver's check, the equipment needs to be made whole, or it doesn't leave the yard. And if an current inspection sticker is required by law, then it better be on the equipment. No mechanic or member of management can say otherwise. It's not their ass on the line. It's yours.

Inthegame

There's a reason they have laws and regulations dealing with just about every bit of equipment we use. The same reason that the scales will stop you if you pull in over-weight. Because you're over-weight doesn't mean the wheels are going to fall off. But there is a reason for weight limits.

Surely you've dealt with overzealous police before? That aside, the driver asked the scalemaster to approve the landing gear. Do you really think that guy is going to give a pass to a piece of broken equipment--a DOT violation--down the highway? If he says, "Go ahead," and it breaks down the road, then the scalemaster is also potentially liable. Think there is even a remote chance that he is going to put his ass in the sling? Better to stop the trailer at the scales and have it potentially break there then past his post.

The bottom line is we are paid check off our equipment BEFORE we leave. That is the driver's responsibility. If the equipment doesn't pass the driver's check, the equipment needs to be made whole, or it doesn't leave the yard. And if an current inspection sticker is required by law, then it better be on the equipment. No mechanic or member of management can say otherwise. It's not their ass on the line. It's yours.
I'm not saying this didn't happen but there has to be additional details. I'm guessing the gear was shot and the legs didn't lift high enough off the road surface to please the scalemaster.

OptimusPrime

If its truly a death trap don't drive it.

I'm curious as to what you guys think about lap belts? Can't decide if I should raise a stink or not? I mean the three point shoulder set up is obviously safer. Why have some trucks in the lineup without them? God forbid I have a head on, my face is going in the wheel or the dash. This wouldn't happen with a shoulder belt. And the trucks that still have only lap belts usually have the old style seat designed for guys that are 5'5". I'm 6'4" so I am literally on top of the wheel in some of these trucks. For all the ticky tack our safety people focus on, this seems like a massive over site.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm not saying this didn't happen but there has to be additional details. I'm guessing the gear was shot and the legs didn't lift high enough off the road surface to please the scalemaster.
The landing gear has a brace from the frame to the leg strut. This brace was broken. While it could still take the weight of the trailer, it is there for a reason.

Scale master placed it out of service due to the broken brace on the landing gear.

Funny part is the sup got demoted to the sort, and has since worked his way back up to feeder sup. I hear he is back to being the feeder sup in Sharonville.

This happened about 7 or 8 years ago.

Johney

Ok, I'll recant my BS call. I just think you're asking for more trouble than it's worth by telling the scale master about broken landing gear. If they caught it? so be it, but bringing it to their attention on purpose? I'll pass.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Ok, I'll recant my BS call. I just think you're asking for more trouble than it's worth by telling the scale master about broken landing gear. If they caught it? so be it, but bringing it to their attention on purpose? I'll pass.
I agree. This guy just wanted to get his sup in trouble. I would have bypassed the sup and left it up to the shop to make the call.

A mechanic is not going to put his job on the line by OK'ing a defective trailer.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm curious as to what you guys think about lap belts? Can't decide if I should raise a stink or not? I mean the three point shoulder set up is obviously safer. Why have some trucks in the lineup without them? God forbid I have a head on, my face is going in the wheel or the dash. This wouldn't happen with a shoulder belt. And the trucks that still have only lap belts usually have the old style seat designed for guys that are 5'5". I'm 6'4" so I am literally on top of the wheel in some of these trucks. For all the ticky tack our safety people focus on, this seems like a massive over site.
If it came from the manufacturer that way, that is how it stays. All the newer package cars come with the 3 point belt.

Automotive has a new flavor of the year. Modifying equipment. They are removing all the tire knocker/fifth wheel puller hangers from the tractors because they did not come that way from the manufacturer.

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
The question of the day is, the package car registered in Texas? We are getting in transfer cars from Oklahoma, as these are treated as any out of state cars, Since the FAI is current than the car is legal to drive on Texas roads till such time as the proper inspections can be done for licencing.