No Raise this Year?

Serf

I agree. Remember when raises were earlier in the year? Remember the payouts? Now it seems they dangle the carrot to get you to stay on and committed to Peak weeks.

Too bad for the employees under 7 pay scale, handlers, material handlers, etc. 3% will never cover COL or insurance increases. 6% is also an economic joke. Under 10 years?, the step increases are another carrot that has yet to be explained / determined. Many will say "I need this job" and continue on, myself included. FedEx knows this and will continue to take advantage. Thankfully I don't have all my eggs in the FEDEX basket. Many do and they are strung along with promises that never really pan out. Time is money.
Agree. It has already been happening. But eventually X won't know what to do when Amazon takes all our Cargo Handlers. I think about how much different life was 10 years ago. Now I think 10 years from now I will have the opportunity to make a whopping 25$ an hour. By that time a 6 pack of domestic light beer will be 9.99 and minimum wage in most states will be 15$ or more. But as mediocre as this is, sadly; it's better than nothing.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Agree. It has already been happening. But eventually X won't know what to do when Amazon takes all our Cargo Handlers. I think about how much different life was 10 years ago. Now I think 10 years from now I will have the opportunity to make a whopping 25$ an hour. By that time a 6 pack of domestic light beer will be 9.99 and minimum wage in most states will be 15$ or more. But as mediocre as this is, sadly; it's better than nothing.
Good luck with THAT. Amazon is going to Robots, Driverless Trucks, and Drones. Maybe you could become a saboteur for hire.:warriorsmiley:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Good luck with THAT. Amazon is going to Robots, Driverless Trucks, and Drones. Maybe you could become a saboteur for hire.:warriorsmiley:

Amazon is leasing more aircraft and is probably going to start buying them as well. It sounds like they're going to build a large-sized fleet. The article I read said they were in negotiations with Boeing for possibly 747's and 767's, and that their air ops are based out of Wilmington, OH, which was Airborne's old hub. That means in my mind that they are spooling-up for an Express style system.

Amazon could get an excellent deal on 747's, because the airplane is a slow-seller and Boeing wants to keep the line going. A 747-8 freighter would make sense in certain high density routes, and the supply of 767's for freighter conversion is very limited, so Amazon will likely be buying. Once they start owning the planes, the commitment is there to something bigger.

Give them 5 years and FedEx will be in deep :censored2:.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Amazon is leasing more aircraft and is probably going to start buying them as well. It sounds like they're going to build a large-sized fleet. The article I read said they were in negotiations with Boeing for possibly 747's and 767's, and that their air ops are based out of Wilmington, OH, which was Airborne's old hub. That means in my mind that they are spooling-up for an Express style system.

I don't see them ever buying their own aircraft but do agree that they are setting themselves up quite well for a very profitable future.

Walmart bought Jet.com but I don't know how much of a dent, if any, this will make on Amazon's bottom line.

Last edited:

I think Amazon is in for a rude awakening.
If FedEx and UPS could grow a pair and charge them full price, they would fall on their face.

Let them delivered all of their crap during Xmas and see how bad they fail.

The customers won't put up with that.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't see them ever buying their own aircraft but do agree that they are setting themselves up quite well for a very profitable future.

Walmart bought Jet.com but I don't know how much of a dent, if any, this will make on Amazon's bottom line.

Amazon is currently in negotiations with Boeing to buy aircraft.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

It would depend on how they intend to use the planes. The consensus of many is that they'll mainly use them to move inventory between suppliers and distribution centers (similar to Walmart's trucking operation). If they can do that more effectively than they're doing it now, more power to them. Air operations are expensive. Other options include the supposition that the planes may be used to supplement their premium services that would either devastate FDX/UPS, have no effect on FDX/UPS, or something in the middle. Depends on who's doing the speculating.

vantexan

A couple of months ago Amazon was hiring fulltime delivery drivers in Phoenix. Not the Uber type drivers they have in some markets. Over the years FedEx has had test operations in various markets so don't see why Amazon wouldn't also. If you add up all the freight they ship through the various companies, and if they expect continued growth, cutting out the middleman probably makes sense for them.

bacha29

A couple of months ago Amazon was hiring fulltime delivery drivers in Phoenix. Not the Uber type drivers they have in some markets. Over the years FedEx has had test operations in various markets so don't see why Amazon wouldn't also. If you add up all the freight they ship through the various companies, and if they expect continued growth, cutting out the middleman probably makes sense for them.
Most of the veteran X grunts are too late in their working lifetimes for Amazon to directly impact their interests. They will be done and out . Despite what they are saying publicly I think X management is worried and I believe that the rapid growth of Amazon in the short time it has been developing it's own delivery network may be accelerating the growth of PT couriers at Express and the downward pressure on ISP' settlements at Ground. You'll just have to wait and see but judging by the growing number of at scale ground routes coming on the market it would appear that some contractors aren't going to wait around to see what happens. Might they be the smart ones?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
A of months ago Amazon was hiring fulltime delivery drivers in Phoenix. Not the Uber type drivers they have in some markets. Over the years FedEx has had test operations in various markets so don't see why Amazon wouldn't also. If you add up all the freight they ship through the various companies, and if they expect continued growth, cutting out the middleman probably makes sense for them.

The ones they've hired in this area have been for Flex and Prime Now. You use your own car and some drivers are contract while others are not. Reviews from drivers are that it's good if you can get enough hours. And of course, it's fairly hard for anyone to get a decent chunk of hours because of drivers who know how to manipulate the process and/or know the people who actually do the scheduling. It's not uncommon for them to get shifts that are no longer than 2 hours. Too many drivers, not enough work.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Especially for a Migrant Worker!

vantexan

The ones they've hired in this area have been for Flex and Prime Now. You use your own car and some drivers are contract while others are not. Reviews from drivers are that it's good if you can get enough hours. And of course, it's fairly hard for anyone to get a decent chunk of hours because of drivers who know how to manipulate the process and/or know the people who actually do the scheduling. It's not uncommon for them to get shifts that are no longer than 2 hours. Too many drivers, not enough work.
I'm seeing on Craigslist now for employees driving company vans in Phoenix and Austin. Many ads for Flex drivers in other markets also.

bacha29

I'm seeing on Craigslist now for employees driving company vans in Phoenix and Austin. Many ads for Flex drivers in other markets also.
The thing to remember is that Bezos has a mountain of money to work with given that A's stock price keeps climbing. Not as a result of EPS but rather pure stock speculation. .No question that areas of the country like the one where I live where there's nothing out here but rednecks, rocks and rattlesnakes will be last areas Bezos goes into . In turn leaving that for X,UPS and the mail to lose money on. Will they let him get away with it? I don't know but there was an article in USA Today some years back when X tried to do the same thing to China Post until the commies stepped in and put an end to that practice with a new set of shipping rules.

Gone fishin

Walmart is building 8 super distribution facilities to combat Walmart. Target ,Home Depot and the rest are all stepping up their on line game. Amazon will take a beating with half filled planes and trucks.
Bezos is not as smart as he thinks he is , these companies aren't just gonna roll over for him

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Walmart is building 8 super distribution facilities to combat Walmart. Target ,Home Depot and the rest are all stepping up their on line game. Amazon will take a beating with half filled planes and trucks.
Bezos is not as smart as he thinks he is , these companies aren't just gonna roll over for him

Walmart is gearing up to fight themselves?

vantexan

The thing to remember is that Bezos has a mountain of money to work with given that A's stock price keeps climbing. Not as a result of EPS but rather pure stock speculation. .No question that areas of the country like the one where I live where there's nothing out here but rednecks, rocks and rattlesnakes will be last areas Bezos goes into . In turn leaving that for X,UPS and the mail to lose money on. Will they let him get away with it? I don't know but there was an article in USA Today some years back when X tried to do the same thing to China Post until the commies stepped in and put an end to that practice with a new set of shipping rules.
How does he have a mountain of money due to the rising stock price?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
:confused: