not looking good for express..

bbsam

Staff member
Ask the hundreds of workers whose jobs lasted several more years because Bain got involved.

People see that Bain made some money off of a company that eventually shut down it bothers them. They don't consider what would have happened had Bain not intervened, they're only concerned that Bain made money. This country has some serious dog in the manger issues.
You completely miss the point. Bain is another example of "to big to fail". I'm guessing that when the way Bain does "business" is broken down for people, even the ones working for companies that Bain saved will see how unfair it is. Again, it's not ​that they made money, it's how they made money.

bbsam

Staff member
Ask the hundreds of workers whose jobs lasted several more years because Bain got involved.

People see that Bain made some money off of a company that eventually shut down it bothers them. They don't consider what would have happened had Bain not intervened, they're only concerned that Bain made money. This country has some serious dog in the manger issues.
It's not that Bain made money, it's how they stacked the deck to make that money.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You completely miss the point. Bain is another example of "to big to fail". I'm guessing that when the way Bain does "business" is broken down for people, even the ones working for companies that Bain saved will see how unfair it is. Again, it's not ​that they made money, it's how they made money.

Consider the converse (or inverse, or reverse- I can't remember which). Bain visits the company that's set to close its doors soon. It takes a look around at whatever it takes a look at and reach the conclusion of "Thanks, but no thanks. We can't make any money from this deal. Sorry. Best of luck to all of you," and rides off into the sunset. The reaction is that these big rich guys are letting the livelihoods of these steelworkers slip away for no other reason than a lack of profit, they have no compassion, and so on.

In that sense, they can't win either way. If they don't make the effort to invest in the company and hopefully turn it around, they catch crap. If they do make the effort, they catch crap.

People are looking at the options of losing their jobs soon without intervention or keeping them (for the short-term, at least) with intervention.

What about the way that Bain does business is so inherently wrong?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
It's not that Bain made money, it's how they stacked the deck to make that money.

And kept food on the tables of the workers for several more years. I'm not saying it's pretty. Bain took drastic measures in a situation that required them. If there was a better way to do what Bain was trying to accomplish, no one has found it yet.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Consider the converse (or inverse, or reverse- I can't remember which). Bain visits the company that's set to close its doors soon. It takes a look around at whatever it takes a look at and reach the conclusion of "Thanks, but no thanks. We can't make any money from this deal. Sorry. Best of luck to all of you," and rides off into the sunset. The reaction is that these big rich guys are letting the livelihoods of these steelworkers slip away for no other reason than a lack of profit, they have no compassion, and so on.

In that sense, they can't win either way. If they don't make the effort to invest in the company and hopefully turn it around, they catch crap. If they do make the effort, they catch crap.

People are looking at the options of losing their jobs soon without intervention or keeping them (for the short-term, at least) with intervention.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Gridlock, nothing can happen.

Exactly, and the Dems never had a 60 seat majority, they had 57.
Two independents were in their caucas, one (Lieberman), lost his last primary challenge and supported Mccain not Obama.
Specter fled the Republican party in the spring of that year and Ted Kennedy was ill and passed.
So quit the blabby republican lie that makes it sound like Obama had free will to be king of the world, the truth is the republicans have been able to keep most of their agenda intact by blocking everything.

bbsam

Staff member

Here is what is wrong and financially it goes from top down.

There was a time in this country when businessmen and women took risks. They invested and worked hard and tried to make a profit. It still happens, but not for a select few at the top and Bain is one of them. It is the "too big to fail phenomenon". How did this happen? Businesses have almost $2 trillion dollars sitting on the sidelines and the only thing they will say about not investing it is "uncertainty". WTF! There is nothing uncertain. Either taxes will go up or deficits will go up, two fundamental issues that any business can and should plan for. I believe that with smart stewardship of a company that could navigate that even with the possibility of taking a hit. When did business people in this country become a bunch of pusillanimous?

bbsam

Staff member
I think this has been covered before, but I was talking to an Express driver earlier and he talked like Ground would be getting Verizon and an Ops manager at Ground confirmed it. Any idea when that might happen?

vantexan

Exactly, and the Dems never had a 60 seat majority, they had 57.
Two independents were in their caucas, one (Lieberman), lost his last primary challenge and supported Mccain not Obama.
Specter fled the Republican party in the spring of that year and Ted Kennedy was ill and passed.
So quit the blabby republican lie that makes it sound like Obama had free will to be king of the world, the truth is the republicans have been able to keep most of their agenda intact by blocking everything.

We've gone over this before. Harry Reid has the power at any time to invoke the "nuclear option", a simple majority of 1. It wasn't for nothing that Fred S made huge contributions to Democrats during their two year reign. Instead of helping us they used us as pawns to get as much as they could from FedEx to keep the status quo. I wonder how much was contributed AFTER the Repubs won the House? Why would there be any more contributions beyond what's typically given? The Repubs are against unions already and the Dems were out. How does it feel to be sold out by the party you believe stands up for the little guy?

vantexan

I think this has been covered before, but I was talking to an Express driver earlier and he talked like Ground would be getting Verizon and an Ops manager at Ground confirmed it. Any idea when that might happen?

Verizon 2 day or all of Verizon?

vantexan

Here is what is wrong and financially it goes from top down.

There was a time in this country when businessmen and women took risks. They invested and worked hard and tried to make a profit. It still happens, but not for a select few at the top and Bain is one of them. It is the "too big to fail phenomenon". How did this happen? Businesses have almost $2 trillion dollars sitting on the sidelines and the only thing they will say about not investing it is "uncertainty". WTF! There is nothing uncertain. Either taxes will go up or deficits will go up, two fundamental issues that any business can and should plan for. I believe that with smart stewardship of a company that could navigate that even with the possibility of taking a hit. When did business people in this country become a bunch of pusillanimous?

They aren't going to invest if there's a very real possibility that a big chunk of their profits are going to be taken in higher taxes. We've covered this before too, but you guys don't want to believe it because you can't stand the wealthy being able to keep more of their earnings/profits. But the economic reality is higher taxes stymies an economy, lower taxes stimulates an economy, and the resultant economic activity due to lower taxes puts more in the government coffers than taxing one group to death because you believe that's fair. I could care less how much the rich guy makes as long as he pays me fair. And that's been the single biggest problem(along with runaway gov't spending). The middle class is shrinking because the wealthy are keeping too much for themselves. We'll never have a strong, vibrant economy without a healthy middle class. If Fred S and all the tycoons out there truly care about this country they'll pay as much as they can, even if it means they take large compensation cuts. Won't happen, we're screwed, and apologists will tell us it's our fault for wanting more than to just exist.

vantexan

The lower taxes of the past decade have done nothing but drive up the deficit.

Bush'es worst deficit was $160 Billion. Obama's deficits zoomed to over a trillion a year. He's spending insanely and we're in danger of wrecking Social Security and Medicare much sooner, as opposed to tweaking them to last past the problems they're facing decades down the road.

bbsam

Staff member
Bush'es worst deficit was $160 Billion. Obama's deficits zoomed to over a trillion a year. He's spending insanely and we're in danger of wrecking Social Security and Medicare much sooner, as opposed to tweaking them to last past the problems they're facing decades down the road.
Well we could begin by discussing the fact that Bush never would put a couple insanely expensive bills on the ledger, namely wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

bbsam

Staff member
And deficits are cumulative beasts. They've been piling up for years now. If Obama were really spending all that, another trillion over 10 years for Obamacare would be nothing.