Not Your Mother's Bake Sale

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
OMG! California chastises Arizona for our anti-immigration but tries to push through a bill like this. Who the hell do they think they are? :knockedout:

moreluck

golden ticket member
It's been done before and I like the guy's comment at the end....he's black and all his friends want him to buy baked goods for them because his race gets the best price. Shows at least that the students are still enterprising and still poor like always.

I'm just surprised that there wasn't an "illegal" category. They probably would get the very lowest price because they already get the reduced tuition over the American citizen kids.

Does it involve a bill?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I read the link that you provided Dave. In part it says this,

"The bake sale, run by the Berkeley College Republicans, was created in reaction to SB 185, a bill currently being considered by Gov. Jerry Brown, which would authorize California public universities to consider race, gender, ethnicity, and national/geographic origin in the admissions process."

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Well, mostly Jerry Brown's weirdness..........
I can't say for sure because I don't know who sponsored the bill, but I doubt Gov. Brown did. The audacity of whomever did sponsor the bill goes way beyond weirdness. It's pure racism. No school admission should be based on any of the criteria that is being introduced with this bill.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

dilli, I am sure that you realize that, although it may not be in writing, school admission is already based upon the above criteria, resulting in what is called "reverse discrimination", as schools look for a more diverse student body.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
dilli, I am sure that you realize that, although it may not be in writing, school admission is already based upon the above criteria, resulting in what is called "reverse discrimination", as schools look for a more diverse student body.

I agree. We went thru this with our son when he was getting ready for college. We were shocked about the questions that the schools asked and the special treatment and deals that were given in regards to race/skin color and gender.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree. We went thru this with our son when he was getting ready for college. We were shocked about the questions that the schools asked and the special treatment and deals that were given in regards to race/skin color and gender.

Not that I'm recommending it, but being divorced sure helped when it came to the financial aid side of things. My boss' daughter and mine both went to the College of St Rose in Albany, which is about $30K per year. My daughter's bill was significantly lower than his daughter's.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I've been out of the 'school loop' for a long time. I'm sure you are right. My statement was a gut reaction.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Another extreme viewpoint of california republican students who demonstrate that racism still exists in the republican party. Unbelievably,republican student women share this mentality with the males.

How the republican party gets people to believe what they believe even when its against them is astonishing.

You would think these kinds of thoughts were generated out of san juan capistrano....

Peace.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Another extreme viewpoint of california republican students who demonstrate that racism still exists in the republican party. Unbelievably,republican student women share this mentality with the males.

How the republican party gets people to believe what they believe even when its against them is astonishing.

You would think these kinds of thoughts were generated out of san juan capistrano....

Peace.
You must be a riot at a dinner party.....do you attack the hostess immediately or do you wait for all the guests to arrive?

Peace.
That's a pretty ridiculous statement. The purpose og the "bake sale" was to draw attention to the racist and very unfair bill being considered. Did you not read the article? Regardless of how the idiots want to slant it, basing college admission on race is...racist.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Trp, you are right in that basing admission solely on race would be racist---don't kid yourself, though---if there are two applicants equal in all other aspects and the college in question is looking to create a more diverse student body the non-caucasian applicant will be accepted over the caucasian one.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
That's a pretty ridiculous statement. The purpose og the "bake sale" was to draw attention to the racist and very unfair bill being considered. Did you not read the article? Regardless of how the idiots want to slant it, basing college admission on race is...racist.

What I find hilarious is that republicans, who are doing everything possible to make college unaffordable for all races, is still trying to limit women and minorities as if they havent caused enough harm on them in the first place.

There ISNT equality yet in the workplace, in college or in politics.

California is a big state, and its citizens represent a large segment of race and gender. According to statistics, those races and women are NOT fairly represented in our colleges. A little help to balance that out is whats intended.

If we left it to republicans, only white kids from rich families and muslims would be able to attend our colleges.

Peace.