Notifying the Union of an employee

You need to learn the contract and ask other management people how to manage within their corporate structure.
This isn't an asphalt seal coating crew.
Good luck and sorry of I was a dick about it.
I was more disappointed with the Teamsters who were breaking our Oath.
No hard feelings, and I do agree. I have tried to talk to my superiors but they more or less just shrug their shoulders, the guys on the belt exceed the goal almost every day so our center manager or FT sup doesn't really care. Leading to even more frustration that they refuse to help me out here.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I am a part-time supervisor working on the sort isle after being moved from running an unload belt. However, I have a bit of a problem. There is an extremely lazy employee that missorts on purpose, purposely gets in other peoples way, and will not go where I ask him to go. He has filed a grievance against me accusing me of singling him out for being on his phone... The irony in it... But he is on his phone non-stop through the entire shift. I usually don't mind if its a quick text here and there just as long as they don't have the phone in their hand longer than 15 seconds. I am wondering how I deal with this. I was thinking of writing everything he does wrong such as not obeying directions, or missorting, or playing on his phone in a journal and reporting it to management and our local once I have enough "evidence". Normally, I don't care if someone is lazy, they dig their own grave and I send them home and I get rid of the problem, however this employee will never go home and stays the full shift fiddling around on his phone or spending forty minutes in the bathroom. Any opinions?

5 wacks on the pee pee should do it

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You need to learn the contract and ask other management people how to manage within their corporate structure.
This isn't an asphalt seal coating crew.
Good luck and sorry of I was a dick about it.
I was more disappointed with the Teamsters who were breaking our Oath.

Oath, Smoath-----if this Oath involves protecting a slug how do I resign?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
There is no breaking an oath. A bad employee is a bad employee regardless of the contract. If what this guy is describing is true then this guy makes all teamsters look bad. Not to mention it will be a lower level teamster that has to pick up he slack for this guy. I am tired of are union protecting people like this while people who make one mistake but are overall good employees get fired. While this jackoff makes mistake after mistake everyday.
Why would you ever think that you need to "pick up the slack"?
UPS always picks up the slack, by the hour, if you know how to play the game.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Why would you ever think that you need to "pick up the slack"?
UPS always picks up the slack, by the hour, if you know how to play the game.

You also realize this is a different situation. This person being described is being a deliberate a-hole. This isn't a person who is going slow because of the numbers or such and such. This is someone who seems to be doing things deliberately.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
Cool username @99ProblemsUPSIs1

bQ9b6yl.gif

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yes if we want to stay there all day.
It's a sort.
That's not an option.
You also realize this is a different situation. This person being described is being a deliberate a-hole. This isn't a person who is going slow because of the numbers or such and such. This is someone who seems to be doing things deliberately.
That's management's problem and no concern of ours, unless you're the steward.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It is a concern of yours because people like that make you all look bad. Especially when he gets protected by the union.
No, he only makes you look bad.
If you do your job and due diligence, he won't have his his.
I am thankful for the "protection" that you loath, because without it, I would be helpless to the company's arbitrary and increasingly unrealistic standards.
It is a century old example of cause and effect.

Last edited:

10 point

Although it may be an irritation if it affects your work area it's not the hourlies problem unless you're a steward and the company's disciplining some and letting some slide by w/o disciplining everyone the same for the same infractions.

We didn't hire them YOUR side did and you are the one creating the work environment problem by not being responsible in your job duties.

You get what you give. That's why some posters on here have no sympathy for management. Why do YOU (management) want bad managers make YOU all look bad as well? The pendulum swings both ways.

Answer that one and you'll see why bubbles has a problem with your derailed questions in the union forum.

It's your job. You wanted to be the boss. You and hr can figure it out since your bosses "don't care". Being buddies with your shop steward is suspect on his side as well because sooner or later the hammer's going to come down.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Two Peaks ago we had a new driver who was having a hard time getting the hang of things. After being sent for the third time to help him, I decided to have a little "chat" with the young man.

He is now one of our best casuals.

It's amazing just how powerful peer pressure can be.

10 point

Two Peaks ago we had a new driver who was having a hard time getting the hang of things. After being sent for the third time to help him, I decided to have a little "chat" with the young man.

He is now one of our best casuals.

It's amazing just how powerful peer pressure can be.
Your "chat" using peer pressure should have been filed on by the new driver.

I'm sure some would relish the chance to have a little "chat" with you as well.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No, it's not; in fact, I was "asked" by my center manager to apologize.

The kid was parked in front of Gander Mountain when I met up with him. Rather than making deliveries he was more focused on making their pickup. His pkg car was completely disorganized. I told him in no uncertain terms that I was tired of having to drive across town to bail his ass out----again----and that he needed to step it up a notch.

As I said, he is now one of our best casuals---he is covering my run while I am on my two week vacation---so I guess he took what I said to heart.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your "chat" using peer pressure should have been filed on by the new driver.

I'm sure some would relish the chance to have a little "chat" with you as well.

Filed on for what? "Oh, Dave was being a meanie....." Give me a fricking break. I bust my ass on my route only to have to drive across town during Peak to help out a newbie with a serious lack of "sense of urgency"? Yeah, that's not going to go over very well.

My center manager conceded that my little chat did the trick.