Obama Lied, the economy died

brett636

http://townhall.com/columnists/Tony...ied;_the_economy_died?page=full&comments=true

I am trying to capture the spirit of bipartisanship as practiced by the Democratic Party over the past eight years. Thus, I have chosen as my lead this proposition: Obama lied; the economy died. Obviously, I am borrowing this from the Democratic theme of 2003-08: "Bush lied, people died." There are, of course, two differences between the slogans.

Most importantly, I chose to separate the two clauses with a semicolon rather than a comma because the rule of grammar is that a semicolon (rather than a comma) should be used between closely related independent clauses not conjoined with a coordinating conjunction. In the age of Obama, there is little more important than maintaining the integrity of our language against the onslaught of Orwellian language abuse that is already a babbling brook and soon will be a cataract of verbal deception.
The other difference is that Bush didn't lie about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. He merely was mistaken. Whereas Obama told a whopper when he claimed that he is not for bigger government. As he said last week: "As soon as I took office, I asked this Congress to send me a recovery plan by Presidents Day that would put people back to work and put money in their pockets, not because I believe in bigger government -- I don't."
This he asserted despite the fact that the budget he proposed the next day asks for federal spending as 28 percent of gross domestic product, higher by at least 6 percent than any time since World War II. Moreover, after 10 years, Obama's proposed spending as a percentage of GDP still would be 22.6 percent, nearly 2 percentage points higher than any year during the Bush administration despite the full costs of Sept. 11, the Iraq and Afghan wars and the rebuilding of New Orleans after Katrina.
Consider also this assertion in his not-quite-State of the Union address: "My administration has also begun to go line by line through the federal budget in order to eliminate wasteful and ineffective programs. As you can imagine, this is a process that will take some time. But we're starting with the biggest lines. We have already identified $2 trillion in savings over the next decade."
But lamentably, a few days later, The Washington Post reported: "A senior administration official acknowledged yesterday that the budget does not contain $2 trillion in spending cuts over the next decade. Instead, the figure represents Obama's total efforts at deficit reduction, including tax hikes (of more than $1 trillion) on families making over $250,000 a year. It also includes hundreds of billions of dollars 'saved' by not continuing to spend $170 billion a year in Iraq."
Only a big-government man would think of calling a trillion-dollar tax increase a spending cut or "saving." Technically, of course, it is true. A trillion-dollar tax increase would reduce spending by $1 trillion for those private citizens who were taxed. And from the perspective of the federal government, a trillion dollars taxed is a trillion dollars saved from the greed of the taxpayers who produced the wealth and might well want to spend or invest it in nongovernmental activities.
But the foregoing merely are pettifogging numbers compared with Obama's bigger ideas about energy and health care (regarding health care, more in future columns). Our president shares a fascinating idea about energy with most of what used to be known as the "small is beautiful" crowd. It is a curious phenomenon that one needs a very big government to enforce the beauty of small.
Obama's secretary of energy, Steven Chu, said last year that the price of electricity in America is "anomalously low." You see how much smarter that Nobel Prize winner is than you? You probably thought you already were spending enough on electricity and fuel.
And sure enough, Obama explained last week that in order to make alternative energy sources -- wind, solar, perhaps eventually human muscle power -- economically competitive, he intends to raise the price of carbon-based energy until it is so expensive that even solar power would be such a deal.
This level of destructive irrationality cannot be accomplished in the private sector. It would take a very big government indeed to bring such inanities into being. (Disclosure: Being rational, I give professional advice to carbon-based energy producers.)
If President Obama were to try to misrepresent his positions for the next four years, there would be nothing he could say that would approach the inaccuracy of his claim last week that he is not for big government. It is the essence of the man and his presidency. He doesn't like America the way it has been since its founding, and it would take an abusively big government to realize his dreams of converting America into something quite different. If you don't know that, you don't yet know Obama.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
limbaugh-fails-sac0128cd.jpg

Sammie

Destroying the economy was a group effort.

Clinton was the great deregulator.

Bush was bound to have budget issues after 9/11.

And if O. is as good as he says he is, Chicago would have been cleaned up eons ago.

2008 Chicago Stats:

Body count In the last six months:
292 killed (murdered) in Chicago ;
221 killed in Iraq .

State pension fund $44 Billion in debt, worst in country.
Cook County ( Chicago ) sales tax 10.25% highest in country.
Chicago school system rated one of the worst in the country.
This is the political culture that Obama comes from in Illinois .

And he's gonna 'change' Washington politics....

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The number of deaths in Iraq in the last six months is actually closer to 4,000 (remember the Iraqis civilians?).

I decided to look up what was said, just to see if his words were taken out of context. I think they were.

If I wanted Obama to succeed, I'd be happy the Republicans have laid down. And I would be encouraging Republicans to lay down and support him. Look, what he's talking about is the absorption of as much of the private sector by the US government as possible, from the banking business, to the mortgage industry, the automobile business, to health care. I do not want the government in charge of all of these things. I don't want this to work. So I'm thinking of replying to the guy, "Okay, I'll send you a response, but I don't need 400 words, I need four: I hope he fails." (interruption) What are you laughing at? See, here's the point. Everybody thinks it's outrageous to say. Look, even my staff, "Oh, you can't do that." Why not? Why is it any different, what's new, what is unfair about my saying I hope liberalism fails? Liberalism is our problem. Liberalism is what's gotten us dangerously close to the precipice here. Why do I want more of it? I don't care what the Drive-By story is. I would be honored if the Drive-By Media headlined me all day long: "Limbaugh: I Hope Obama Fails." Somebody's gotta say it.

Jagger

Many in the GOP wing of the media have charged that the White House is shining the spotlight on Rush Limbaugh in order to distract attention from the country's problems. However, Limbaugh and the GOP have demonstrated repeatedly over the years that they don't need assistance from Democrats for the spotlight to shine on Limbaugh. The party has honored and defended him repeatedly, the media have praised him, and Limbaugh has thrust himself into the spotlight countless times through his outrageous comments and conduct.

For example:

Ronald Reagan wrote an "unsolicited note" in which he called Limbaugh "the Number One voice for conservatism in our Country" and stated, "Keep up the good work. America needs to hear the way things ought to be."

Vice President Dan Quayle said of Limbaugh: "I know the Republican Party listens to him. He's got the pulse of our rank and file."

Jagger

Pretty old quotes Jag. Any idea what people are saying in the current decade?

Following the GOP's takeover of Congress in 1994, the freshman class of House Republicans made Limbaugh an honorary member and gave him credit for their victory.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Quote:
Originally Posted by over9five
Pretty old quotes Jag. Any idea what people are saying in the current decade?
Following the GOP's takeover of Congress in 1994, the freshman class of House Republicans made Limbaugh an honorary member and gave him credit for their victory.
Uh..current decade = 1994 ... I think we are understanding why you say what you do a little better now. :wink2: :happy-very:

Rush Limbaugh is to the Republican party
as
Chris Matthews is to the Democratic party

Jagger

Prominent Republicans, including then-President George W. Bush, former President George H.W. Bush, then-Vice President Dick Cheney, Republican House whip Eric Cantor (VA), and then-Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld have appeared on Limbaugh's show.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Prominent Republicans, including then-President George W. Bush, former President George H.W. Bush, then-Vice President Dick Cheney, Republican House whip Eric Cantor (VA), and then-Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld have appeared on Limbaugh's show.

3rd times the charm - welcome to the 21st century. :happy-very:

Jagger

In 2004, NBC News managing editor and Nightly News anchor Brian Williams stated, "I think it's my duty to listen to Rush."

Limbaugh was repeatedly featured on the MSNBC and CNBC programs Williams hosted before Williams became Nightly News anchor.

In 2006, Limbaugh was one of the first persons featured on the CBS Evening News' short-lived "Free Speech" segment, in which he attacked unnamed Americans who did not conform to his definition of "patriotism."

wkmac

Rush To Judgement
Posted by Peter Schiff on March 06, 2009

Talk show host and conservative icon Rush Limbaugh recently ignited a firestorm of criticism for expressing his desire that Barack Obama should fail. Democrats, and even some Republicans, suggested that he had put aside his patriotism to wish for an economic collapse that would result in political advantage for conservatives. However, if you believe as I, and apparently Rush, that Obama’s plans will prevent recovery, then wishing that they fail to become actual policy is the right thing to do. The problem is that since Mr. Limbaugh has a history of partisanship, and since he did not forcefully criticize the Bush Administration for similar (if slightly more modest) plans, many cannot see past the messenger to recognize the truth in the message.
I am certain that if Obama and the Pelosi/Reed Congress succeed in fully implementing their agenda, there is no chance the U.S economy will recover its position as world’s leading economy. Instead, America will start down the road that has condemned so many nations to economic mediocrity. By continuing and magnifying the Bush stimulus and bail-out policies, the economic rebalancing that is so vital to a sustainable recovery cannot occur.
Limbaugh merely said what members of the loyal opposition would say if they were true to their supposed philosophy. But since so many Republicans supported the Bush bailouts and stimulus packages, it would be too blatantly hypocritical to reverse course now. In truth, for all his talk of change Obama has merely continued and expanded the failed policies of Bush.
The one aspect of Obama’s agenda that has galvanized Republican criticism is higher taxes on the rich. While I also abhor tax increases, the spending increases supported by both parties are far more damaging to the economy. In fact, I actually support Obama’s decision to eliminate the “carried interest” tax advantages that had so unequally benefitted hedge fund managers. If I had my way the income tax would be abolished completely, but as long as we have one it is not fair for hedge fund managers to pay lower marginal taxes than the guys who shine their thousand dollar shoes.
The arguments that higher tax rates will discourage hard work and initiative are true across the entire income spectrum. It makes no sense politically to single out the mega-wealthy for special treatment. The sad truth is that Republicans are spending their dwindling political capital on a non-issue. Most hedge funds relied on leveraged borrowing to produce oversized returns. Now that the debt markets are essentially closed, there is not much “carried interest” income left to tax.
The bigger issue is that few Republicans are making any serious effort to oppose the staggering deficits that will guarantee huge future tax increases and runaway inflation for everyone, rich and poor. By simply clinging to tax cuts as their single economic miracle cure, Republicans risk further marginalization.
The president claims that his constituency is Main Street, not Wall Street. But for all the scorn heaped on the “fat cats,” we must remember that it took two to tango. Sure, Wall Street loaned out too much money, but it was Main Street that borrowed it. Average Americans used the windfall for the biggest shopping binge in world history. As a result our entire economy has been transformed from one based on savings and production to one based on borrowing and consumption.
Now that this false paradigm has been exposed, the transition back to economic viability will be painful. Jobs must be lost in the service sector so that labor can be reallocated towards goods production. Asset prices, for both stocks and real estate, must decline to levels appropriate for current circumstances. In addition, the dollar’s exchange rate must fall to reflect our weakened competitive position. However, by postponing these adjustments we merely assure an even more painful transition in the future, especially for the average Americans whose interests our new president claims to champion. But by then Obama will have his coveted second term. Rush is right on this one: Obama’s agenda must fail now, lest we wander too long down the road to destitution.

source

over9five

Staff member
I've never watched or listened to Rush Limbaugh, I couldn't even tell you if he's on tv, radio, or even what he looks like.

But I do seem to remember an open invitation to Obama to appear on his show. Why doesn't Mr Obama simply accept the invitation, go debate Limbaugh, and put him in his place?

Democrats seem to place great importance in Limbaugh. Maybe it's time to debate him, and kick him down a few notches.

Jagger

Limbaugh wrote a op ed piece on the economic recovery package in which he offered his own plan for the economy. Limbaugh's op-ed drew praise from CNBC host Erin Burnett, who said Limbaugh had "serious things to say" and offered "interesting ideas," such as "cutting the corporate tax" and "slashing capital gains [taxes]." Burnett failed to note that many economists do not view corporate tax rate cuts and capital gains tax rate cuts as particularly "serious" or effective methods for stimulating the economy.

chev

Nightcrawler
Limbaugh wrote a op ed piece on the economic recovery package in which he offered his own plan for the economy. Limbaugh's op-ed drew praise from CNBC host Erin Burnett, who said Limbaugh had "serious things to say" and offered "interesting ideas," such as "cutting the corporate tax" and "slashing capital gains [taxes]." Burnett failed to note that many economists do not view corporate tax rate cuts and capital gains tax rate cuts as particularly "serious" or effective methods for stimulating the economy.

I wish people would stop using "many economists" so loosely. I would love to see solid numbers.