Off the street on call driver

Purplepackage

The local ups hub is hiring off the street on call drivers. Has anyone had expierence with this position before? I currently work at fedex working early mornings Its consistent work but still only 25 hours a week. I'm not sure if the switch is worth it or not

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To the OP

This is a tough decision for you to make. Do you give up a known entity to go after an unknown one?

You said that you are 23 and I am going to assume that you are single w/no kids.

I was a casual for 11 months. I was lucky in that I was hired off the street during a period of growth. (1989) My first year I worked just over 1000 hours, which was just enough for a full year of pension credit. I busted my butt, had no problem running routes blind and would show up dressed and ready to go knowing that there was always someone who would take the day off.

I don't know you or your personal/financial situation but if it were me I would go for it. Yes, you would have to get a second job-----the only problem is that this job would need to know that UPS is first and they would have to schedule you around your UPS schedule. Ideal jobs would be lawn care, roofing or other such seasonal work.

Let us know what you decide and good luck with whatever you end up doing. Dave.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
To the OP

This is a tough decision for you to make. Do you give up a known entity to go after an unknown one?

You said that you are 23 and I am going to assume that you are single w/no kids.

I was a casual for 11 months. I was lucky in that I was hired off the street during a period of growth. (1989) My first year I worked just over 1000 hours, which was just enough for a full year of pension credit. I busted my butt, had no problem running routes blind and would show up dressed and ready to go knowing that there was always someone who would take the day off.

I don't know you or your personal/financial situation but if it were me I would go for it. Yes, you would have to get a second job-----the only problem is that this job would need to know that UPS is first and they would have to schedule you around your UPS schedule. Ideal jobs would be lawn care, roofing or other such seasonal work.

This is what helped a lot of us older (and retired drivers) get in. Those growth spurts aren't as widespread or prevalent and they once were.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is what helped a lot of us older (and retired drivers) get in. Those growth spurts aren't as widespread or prevalent and they once were.

There were 3 of us hired at the same time. We all made it past our 30 days and two of us became FT drivers within a year. The third died in a plane accident----he was a student pilot.

Being a casual is not for the meek------you have to let them know that you want to work. If you wait for them you could be sitting at home for a long time.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
There were 3 of us hired at the same time. We all made it past our 30 days and two of us became FT drivers within a year. The third died in a plane accident----he was a student pilot.

Being a casual is not for the meek------you have to let them know that you want to work. If you wait for them you could be sitting at home for a long time.

Still, now days, there is absolutely no guarantee a casual will ever make full-time.

P

pickup

The local ups hub is hiring off the street on call drivers. Has anyone had expierence with this position before? I currently work at fedex working early mornings Its consistent work but still only 25 hours a week. I'm not sure if the switch is worth it or not

Let's say you're working five days a week now. You probably only need 2 days a week working on call at ups to make what you're making now. I believe it is at least 18.75 an hour(maybe more depending on what supplement/area you are working under/in). Plus Overtime -time and 1/2

So if you can average 8 days a month at UPS , you're probably where you're at now, money wise . Cover summer vacations, and you will probably be working everyday come peak and probably not so much (at times not at all come late January, February...) . I think on a yearly basis, you will be ahead of the game. Plus you have a chance to get hired on full time.

If you do decide to make the switch, don't burn any bridges with the Fedex operation you would part company with. It's possible you may want to recross that bridge in the future. Be ready to work when they call or you will quickly fall to bottom of the list of people they do call.

Do the math, you know how much you make now.

To the OP

Yo upstate. You're the most accurate non troll on this site bro. If I could follow I would but I only have access to this forum via iPhone. :-)