Ohio rider

C

chuchu

We don't have that kind of stuff in my local. It happened for a second and then my local swooped in like superman and put a stop to everything. You do know that members of that committee have to be appointed by the local right??
We are waiting for peak to be over and ratification of the TA and then we are going to address this issue. There better not be a tool driver sent out to spy on others during peak with the rest of us working long hrs or were going to deal with it sooner. It's gone on for the last few years but it's coming to a head. The employee they send out now was fired THREE times for not wearing a seat belt. If he didn't run over an hr under scratch every day he'd be gone a long time ago in my opinion.

Stonefish

They've never been elected in our center. Management asks a specific individual to have that position and makes election a mute issue by "making" the co chair '05' on days of safety work, giving them less than eight hours and thus making that position undesirable. Predominantly, the people who go out and do observations in our center are "pets" and tools. That's our experience. Plus, few want to sit with management all day and ride around in their cars "watching" other drivers work and be used as "witnesses". That brings animosity on that hourly from the hourly. That's what I'm talking about.

​The Local Union can say no safety committee if they are turning in other members

C

chuchu

​The Local Union can say no safety committee if they are turning in other members
I agree and we have dealt with that but they "don't put the hourly employee's name on the observation sheet"...even tho they target them. Like I said, it's all going to change shortly. Thx for the input.

Stonefish

I agree and we have dealt with that but they "don't put the hourly employee's name on the observation sheet"...even tho they target them. Like I said, it's all going to change shortly. Thx for the input.
Let me know if you need help with it

Stonefish

They've never been elected in our center. Management asks a specific individual to have that position and makes election a mute issue by "making" the co chair '05' on days of safety work, giving them less than eight hours and thus making that position undesirable. Predominantly, the people who go out and do observations in our center are "pets" and tools. That's our experience. Plus, few want to sit with management all day and ride around in their cars "watching" other drivers work and be used as "witnesses". That brings animosity on that hourly from the hourly. That's what I'm talking about.

The Local Union can say no safety committee if they are turning in other members

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Absolutrly it isn't intended for management wannabes. If they want to be in management they should put their letter in.

OK, suppose you are delivering your route and you see the driver on the adjacent route doing something that you know to be unsafe. Do you let the unsafe behavior slide or do you do something to correct it? (This can be done without involving management)

OK, suppose you are delivering your route and you see the driver on the adjacent route doing something that you know to be unsafe. Do you let the unsafe behavior slide or do you do something to correct it? (This can be done without involving management)
I had a situation like this last week. A driver called me and told me a customer saw a guy parked on a hill in a 45 mile an hour road. He called me and I called the driver and talked to him. I told him if he got in an accident there ups would :censored2: can him. I explained to him what would be a better choice. That's how you handle it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Exactly.

A few years ago I was asked to ride with a Saturday air driver in a mentor-like role, not in a supervisory capacity. This kid did a few things on road which basically scared the **** out of me, such as parking on the wrong side of the road and talking on his cell while driving. We discussed these things and that was as far as any discussion went. He has since left the company to search for greener pastures.

Pulling someone aside to discuss unsafe or improper behavior must be done in a tactful manner but, when done correctly, is much better than allowing the unsafe or improper behavior to become habit.

C

chuchu

Exactly.

A few years ago I was asked to ride with a Saturday air driver in a mentor-like role, not in a supervisory capacity. This kid did a few things on road which basically scared the **** out of me, such as parking on the wrong side of the road and talking on his cell while driving. We discussed these things and that was as far as any discussion went. He has since left the company to search for greener pastures.

Pulling someone aside to discuss unsafe or improper behavior must be done in a tactful manner but, when done correctly, is much better than allowing the unsafe or improper behavior to become habit.
That has nothing to do with turning in paperwork to management on a targeted employee, named on the document or not. There's a way to help the hourly but unless they make you conplicit in the deal it's not your job to report.

InsideUPS

I have been biting my tongue, trying to refrain from commenting on this thread....

But.... I will respect the OPs request.... and try to be constructive.

Topic 1) Ohio Rider / Ohio Conference Updates/Resolve

http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/ohio-rider-353190/index2.html#ixzz2kATg8H31

That was the point, of the contract proposal meetings every Local had. And this is where I'm trying to be constructive.... The Union committee members can't possibly.... be so far out of touch with the membership.... That they would need suggestions from the browncafe.

http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/ohio-rider-353190/index2.html#ixzz2kATg8H31
The fact that the Ohio Rider has been voted down TWO times should give some clue to the Ohio Conference committee members that SOMETHING is not sitting well with Ohio UPSers regardless of the single contract proposal meeting held last August. Obviously one meeting before the ballots were cast was not enough to "be in touch" with it's membership. Perhaps logging onto BrownCafe would help more than doing nothing which is all we are doing at the moment.

Topic 2) Workers Compensation

How about:
7) Each local union have a workers compensation attorney that will provide representation at no cost to the affected employee. I see far too many work related injuries where the worker is left on his own to fight a very difficult battle with UPS and their outside attorneys.

That will never happen. And, I will tell you why. Liability. Even if a member signed a "waiver".... one court challenge (even if they can't win) would waste too much of the members dues money. Kind of gets in to the territory of the UPS mentality...."stepping over a dollar for a nickel".

Liability? The reason that locals will not assist with workers compensation on our members is liability? As you well know, each and every local is subject to all kinds of liability issues. Any member at any time can bring a lawsuit against the local for "Failure to Represent" for example..... also.... I have seen far too many of our members be left alone to fight workers compensation issues without resolve. The union way is "strength in numbers"...... I still believe we as a union need to do more to help our members in workers compensation claims.

Topic 3) Health Insurance

The biggest complaint I have heard (and experienced) with Central States insurance....They routinely try to deny claims.... for anything other than scheduled maintenance.Like going to the Dentist. And, they are slow to pay. To the point.... of having unpaid claims (over 90 days) put up for collection. ​-Bug-

I recently asked my long time primary care physician's office about whether or not they accept TeamCare which is administered through Medical Mutual here in Ohio. The employee in charge of insurance claims informed me that TeamCare/Medical Mutual was excellent insurance and that they are very timely in paying claims...... She indicated that only one other insurance provider was faster in paying claims which is the major health care plan offered her locally by a large hospital institution. (Note: which by the way our Full Time UPS employees belong to)