Oil reaching the Gulf Coast

klein

Für Meno :)
Other than a few articles Baba gounj, and wkmac, has posted, thanks. Why is there no coverage? Why are the residents not speaking on TV ad nauseum? During Katrina you couldnt stop the coverage, during the tsunami, during every earthquake, and hurricane. Who is shutting these people up? Are they dead, or has Obama taken over the internet? The media, and the radio? I would think there would be residents telling their stories all over the place, and just like on here, it has dropped to the bottom of the list.

I agree with you ! What is really going on ????????
Today on CNN they just showed Pennsicola off of Florida, even gave numbers of dead birds (over 1500), dead sea turtles (444), dead whales and dolphines (can't recall those numbers).
But, that is just 1 single area ! And the least hit sofar !

So, what the hell is really going on ?
I guess, I might have to look at Youtube, again. Just to see pics, but ofcourse individuals with a cam , can't give you data or numbers either. :(

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Very scary reading. And just as I thought. Americans are more interested in some dumb blonde drunk, than the border states of the Gulf. It is very sad, scary and sobering reading. Give the dumb blonde a newspaper. Send her there for some community service. It sure as heck doesnt belong on my news.
Thanks baba
Now I know, we are mushrooms

Lue C Fur

Evil member
I agree with you ! What is really going on ????????
Today on CNN they just showed Pennsicola off of Florida, even gave numbers of dead birds (over 1500), dead sea turtles (444), dead whales and dolphines (can't recall those numbers).
But, that is just 1 single area ! And the least hit sofar !

So, what the hell is really going on ?
I guess, I might have to look at Youtube, again. Just to see pics, but ofcourse individuals with a cam , can't give you data or numbers either. :(

Maybe you need to watch FOX news to get the real story instead of the Obama network.

Fox reported many times today on the oil spill including live reports on some of the beaches and fishing ports. Also they have been reporting on the 27,000 abandoned wells in the gulf...my favorite is the White House coverup.:happy-very:

moreluck

golden ticket member
People with cameras from local news shows are being threatened with fines and jail if they try to take a picture of what's actually happening with the oil damage. It's an awfully big event to try and cover up. People won't be intimidated!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I am still trying to find the link to a story I heard about; seem the military has set up a mobile hospital unit surrounded by barb wire fencing and armed guards.

klein

Für Meno :)
I keep seeing damaged trees and plants on youtube, that they suspect from toxic rain from the gulf spill, and that deadly chemical used.
From Texas, Florida, Tennessee and the Carolinas.
Can anyone on here confirm this, and look around if you see trees aging like it's already fall season, or if leafs have white spots on them, or even turned brown ?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
http://www.wdsu.com/news/24178322/detail.html
GRAND ISLE, La. --

Hundreds of fishermen from Lake Charles to Moss Point, Miss., were supposed to get checks from BP on Wednesday but didn't.Wednesday night, their lawyer wanted answers.Jeffrey Briet represents more than 500 fishermen, and he said the payment system he set up with BP required his clients to be paid every 30 days. Now that process has suddenly changed without warning, Briet said.

"Not only did they spring it on us that the process has changed, but the people I've been dealing with for six weeks who've done a good job said, 'We don't know what the process is going to be. We're not authorized to talk to you about it. Someone from BP will contact you,'" he said.But Briet said he hasn't heard from BP or its lawyers. He said the claims people have been given so much conflicting information about the process that they can't provide answers."They couldn't tell me," he said. "And I said, 'I've got 500 people I'm meeting on Saturday. They want to know what the process is.'"It's not the first time BP has given conflicting information.On June 11, BP's security contractors tried to keep WDSU from speaking to cleanup workers despite the fact that BP released a statement two days earlier saying the workers could speak to the media.On May 14, St. Bernard Parish fishermen were upset with low pay and out-of-towners taking their work.Briet said he's meeting with some fishermen from Moss Point Thursday morning and more on Saturday in Jennings. He said BP hasn't given him any indication when the payments will resume.

wkmac

The better news are the local news outlets in the area (to a point because of network and ad rev. influence) but also YouTube is a good source as well. YouTube has vids from BP itself who has their own channel, to average folk acting as guerilla journalist to anti-oil activists with clear agendas but you have to be the one to figure out which best represents the truth. About a month ago, a pro fisherman I know through a co-worker was down off the coast outside Destin Florida and he reported tar balls and the water color looked different. Just over a week away, said co-worker was in Panama City Fl. as well as Mexico Beach to the east and he saw no oil or even tarballls. He said the tidal pools inside the sand bars looked it's typical aqua blue but beyond the sand bars into deeper water the color just didn't look right to him. He did some surf fishing and he felt no oil on his skin but he still felt something was not normal because of the deeper water color.

He also reported he went to the jetties at St. Andrews and where you enter Panama City Bay the locals had put booms in place and from what he could tell when the tide goes out the open the booms and the the tides coming in they close the booms to keep the oil from entering the bay. Depending on who you talk to, when and where they go, the conditions are not always the same and I'm sure the weather, tides, etc. are a big factor in that.

I'd not rely to much on big media because between ad money from oil related business to headquarters and maintaining access by mouthing the company line from Washington, I'm not convinced you'd get the hard facts no matter which way they point. Summer tourists, video cameras and YouTube/Facebook, etc. may prove a more reliable source (sorry CNN but you ain't it) than any MSM news source.

As an aside, the reality of the news business is it requires ad revenue to happen. The darkside is that companies with vested interests can use their ad dollars to drive a storyline and very often they do. That's life, get use to it. YouTube "The Corporation Unsettled Accounts" if you want to see just one example at the local news level at how specific storyline can be driven by a major corp. interest. And if you go that far, YouTube "The Corporation Basic Training" and you'll never watch commercials or any form of advertising the same way again!
:wink2:

addendum: The reason guerilla journalist and the Net may be the greatest outlet of truth but then another reason the need for various vested interests to control also!

Last edited:

av8torntn

[

Hundreds of fishermen from Lake Charles to Moss Point, Miss., were supposed to get checks from BP on Wednesday but didn't.Wednesday night, their lawyer wanted answers.Jeffrey Briet represents more than 500 fishermen, and he said the payment system he set up with BP required his clients to be paid every 30 days. Now that process has suddenly changed without warning, Briet said.

Thought the government was supposed to make it better.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
trever.gif

Babagounj

Strength through joy
WASHINGTON — Diamond Offshore announced Friday that its Ocean Endeavor drilling rig will leave the Gulf of Mexico and move to Egyptian waters immediately — making it the first to abandon the United States in the wake of the BP oil spill and a ban on deep-water drilling.
And the Ocean Endeavor’s exodus probably won’t be the last, according to oil industry officials and Gulf Coast leaders who warn that other companies eager to find work for the now-idled rigs are considering moving them outside the U.S.
Devon Energy Corp. had been leasing the Endeavor to drill in the same region of the Gulf as BP’s leaking Macondo well, which has been gushing crude since a lethal blowout April 20.
But Diamond announced Friday it will lease the rig through June 30, 2011, to Cairo-based Burullus Gas Co., which plans to send the Endeavor to Egyptian waters immediately.
Devon is one of three companies that has cited the deep-water drilling ban in trying to ease out of contracts to lease Diamond rigs. Diamond, a drilling company, said it expects to make about $100 million from the deal, including a $31 million early termination fee it recovered from Devon.
Larry Dickerson, CEO of Houston-based Diamond, signaled that other of his company’s rigs could be relocated, too.
“As a result of the uncertainties surrounding the offshore drilling moratorium, we are actively seeking international opportunities to keep our rigs fully employed,” Dickerson said. “We greatly regret the loss of U.S. jobs that will result from this rig relocation.”

over9five

Staff member
Wow, the job losses in that region are going to be staggering. Too bad we don't have a President who could show some leadership here. I can't believe he is going to force these rigs to leave.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Wow, the job losses in that region are going to be staggering. Too bad we don't have a President who could show some leadership here. I can't believe he is going to force these rigs to leave.
Right after all the losses, bumbling Biden will be on National TV saying how many hundreds of thousands of new jobs are being created.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The President is in a Catch-22 in this situation IMO. On the one hand, how can he allow new drilling when BP has yet to contain the oil leak? Can you imagine Robert Gibbs trying to explain that at his press briefings? On the other hand, if he does not allow drilling, the oil companies have little choice but to pack up and find work elsewhere, which you can't blame them for doing, which will result in the loss of many good paying jobs.