Oil reaching the Gulf Coast

rod

Retired 22 years
They do have a shut-off valve. But, not remote controlled, like in other countries.
So, they must use a robot to do it.
But, for some reason, the shut-off valve doesn't want to close.
Besides, I heard the whole pipe actually has 3 leaks, not just 1.

Thats the story I hear in Canada, anyways.

I have heard about the 3 leaks but apparently they are in the well pipe itself so if the valve on the ocean floor could be shut off it would be problem solved-----at least the leaking problem. Some day we may know the true story:happy2:

wkmac

The real answer is to make a serious goal of reducing our dependence on fossil fuels, the sooner the better.

Amen!

There's a real answer for everything, but who's gonna take us down that road? reduce fuel dependence and we stop being hostage to fuel producing countries and see a big reduction in these type of disasters. Reduce the consumption of processed food rich in chemicals and certain cancer's and diseases decline. These are all probably true, but who's going to start the march in that direction?

Now you're talkin'! Food went to worthless crap when we killed the family farm for the corp. farm.

As long as we keep electing the status quo, no one will.

Yep!

klein

Für Meno :)
Did you ever think that with all the missinformation out there that no one has all the facts yet and is just making assumptions or expressing opinions? What is left of the rig is one mile below the surface and it will be a very long time before anyone knows what exactly happened. But its good for liberal media to further the enviromentalist agenda.

liberal media ?????
We are more conservative then the US and Republican Party.
We have bank and housing regulations in place...... so we never got the disaster you guys had.
We also have the one of the toughest enviromantal laws in place. I would say more then 50% of our lakes are forbidden to motorized boats.

Illegals couldn't survice here. No healthcare, no banking, no driver's licence, and even renting an apartment wouldn't work.
Never mind a job.

If you end up ill in a hospital... you get deported as an illegal . Simple as that. In most cases they will just fix you up enough.. so you can travel.... that's it. Your gone.
Is that conservative enough for you ?

Oh, and another thing : If you want welfare..... it's work for welfare program here !

wkmac

Klein,

It's reported in the US also (May 1st Wall Street Journal) but when you post some of this stuff, why not post links to backup your claims. Whether someone believes them or not is something else but at least it's easily seen you have a basis for making a claim.

klein

Klein,

It's reported in the US also (May 1st Wall Street Journal) but when you post some of this stuff, why not post links to backup your claims. Whether someone believes them or not is something else but at least it's easily seen you have a basis for making a claim.

My laptop doesn't allow me to surf much anymore.
I know those facts from watching news.
I forgot to mention if Mexicans wanna travel to Canada, they need to get a travel visa first.
Same as the Czech Republic (since last year, when they ran into credit problems).

The Greeks are probably next on the list for visa requirements.

I'm sure DS would set me straight, if I mentioned anything false about Canada.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
As long as we keep electing the status quo, no one will.
That's somewhat true. If WE started the march, I'm sure others would follow. Here in Florida I do my best not to use gasoline by riding my bicycle 3-5 days a week. I've also cut much of the processed stuff from my diet. Who's next? I don't think you can really rely on someone elected to an office that feels they have to act a certain way.

They do have a shut-off valve. But, not remote controlled, like in other countries.
So, they must use a robot to do it.
But, for some reason, the shut-off valve doesn't want to close.
Besides, I heard the whole pipe actually has 3 leaks, not just 1.

Thats the story I hear in Canada, anyways.
I guess other countries are always better than the U.S.

liberal media ?????
We are more conservative then the US and Republican Party.
We have bank and housing regulations in place...... so we never got the disaster you guys had.
We also have the one of the toughest enviromantal laws in place. I would say more then 50% of our lakes are forbidden to motorized boats.

Illegals couldn't survice here. No healthcare, no banking, no driver's licence, and even renting an apartment wouldn't work.
Never mind a job.

If you end up ill in a hospital... you get deported as an illegal . Simple as that. In most cases they will just fix you up enough.. so you can travel.... that's it. Your gone.
Is that conservative enough for you ?

Oh, and another thing : If you want welfare..... it's work for welfare program here !
Does Canada have spell check?

]

wkmac

That's somewhat true. If WE started the march, I'm sure others would follow. Here in Florida I do my best not to use gasoline by riding my bicycle 3-5 days a week. I've also cut much of the processed stuff from my diet. Who's next? I don't think you can really rely on someone elected to an office that feels they have to act a certain way.

On a health note and processed foods, check out High Fructose Corn Syrup and see what you think. Also the amount of corn subsidy from gov't is another area but more to the point here is the amount of oil required across the entire process to grow corn. Not that other crops don't use oil based products either.

On the issue of health and a little morning chuckle, you would do wise to avoid beautiful women as well.

:happy-very:

Then again, if we could discover how to convert that stress into useable energy, who needs oil!
:wink2:

corn subsidy

Corn is the top crop for subsidy payments. The Energy Policy Act of 2005 mandates that billions of gallons of ethanol be blended into vehicle fuel each year, guaranteeing demand, but US corn ethanol subsidies are between $5.5 billion and $7.3 billion per year. Producers also benefit from a federal subsidy of 51 cents per gallon, additional state subsidies and, federal crop subsidies that can bring the total to 85 cents per gallon or more.[18] (US corn-ethanol producers are also shielded from competition from cheaper Brazilian sugarcane-ethanol by a 54-cent-per-gallon tariff[19][20])

Going back to Jones comment of making a serious effort of reducing dependency (I agree) on fossil fuels (BTW I now seriously question all oil comes from fossil sources and peak oil) gov't should be open to all possible solutions no matter where it comes from and not using it's monopoly of force and coersion to create markets designed to benefit privileged and/or connected persons and groups. I also don't believe a one size will fit all solution is out there at this time. Let nations, regions and local communities seek their best solutions but then the problem of not having a one size fits all doesn't benefit globalization that certain multi-national corp. interests along with certain govt's desire would be harmed.

Oil replaced gold behind the dollar in 1971' and thus there is a reason oil is the dominate commodity and will remain so until we start disconnecting oil from any medium of exchange. I also salute you for doing all you can in reducing oil useage in your own life. The more we all follow that example where we can, the better we'll be for it. Keep up the good work!

klein

This whole incident sure made a world-wide impact. No more new offshore drilling up north , either. Halted until 2015 minimum. I bet North European countries are doing the same, too.
Just not worth the risk , that we all know so well now. - opps, can't even say that....since the oil is still pouring, and the full concequences are still yet unknown.

klein

Indeed, Canada does have spell check and it works just fine. That is the way those words are spelled in Canada.

What would an american know, eh ? You guys don't have an official language. I can type how I want and like.
Whats the purpose of spell check in the US, without having an official language ????

P

pickup

What would an american know, eh ? You guys don't have an official language. I can type how I want and like.
Whats the purpose of spell check in the US, without having an official language ????

This American knows everything that happened in room 508.:wink2:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Today the president said about the oil spill.....

"We will trust, but we will verify."

Sounds like what the folks were trying to do about his birth certificate and his claims of being a law professor at Harvard.

ups1990

We talk about becoming less dependent on foreign oil, this spill will make America even more dependent to foreign oil. Countries make billions of us because we won't drill of our coast. California in particular will not allow for more drilling. I can only image the amount of revenue drilling for our own oil would be bring to our states, along with well paying jobs . My wish is for us not to get even more divided over this oil spill disaster and maybe oil companies will learn from this disaster and have the safeguards in place to avoid a future massive spill.

klein

We talk about becoming less dependent on foreign oil, this spill will make America even more dependent to foreign oil. Countries make billions of us because we won't drill of our coast. California in particular will not allow for more drilling. I can only image the amount of revenue drilling for our own oil would be bring to our states, along with well paying jobs . My wish is for us not to get even more divided over this oil spill disaster and maybe oil companies will learn from this disaster and have the safeguards in place to avoid a future massive spill.

I think you guys drilled enough. I never thought the Gulf of Mexico had over 400 rigs, compared to our 4 or 5 we only have.
The westcoast is untouchable here, too. British Columbia will have no part of it.

I think the time has finally arrived to use much less oil. Fuel efficient cars, eletric vehicles, etc.
btw Luc(y)....: If you think electric cars will just burn more coal etc, think again. Recently watched a show on TV about them.
$13.00 worth of electricity will give you 1000 km of driving.
And actually electricity is a free source of energy, just the world is too blind to use it as a primary one, (solar, wind, waterflow).

Babagounj

Strength through joy
klein;730048 And actually electricity is a free source of energy said:
NOTHING is free, there is a cost associated with everything; what do you do when the sun don't shine, the wind don't blow, and there is a drought ?
Burn baby burn; wood , coal, nuclear , all which have side effects.